Ever have issues with 1911 magazine follower...

by rob @, Wednesday, August 03, 2016, 17:13 (2973 days ago)

Keeping the mag from dropping free? I just got those Chip McCormic "Match Grade Mags" in today and seating both and then removing them empty requires pulling it till it lets go. The follower is snagging and then has to be pushed back into the mag. It's not coming out, just moving forward. Think this might correct itself after loading and using? I don't recall having this issue before but both mags do it.

Brain fart...

by rob @, Wednesday, August 03, 2016, 17:40 (2972 days ago) @ rob

With the slide back they pop right out. It would seem all is well:)

Those mags...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, August 03, 2016, 18:28 (2972 days ago) @ rob

should drop free regardless of whether the slide is open or in battery. If your other mags are dropping free, call CMC and see if they'll do an exchange for Powermags or Classics. Never had a stitch of trouble out of those.

If your other mags aren't dropping free, it's likely an issue with your magazine catch. What pistol are you having the problems with?

CMC Powermags and Classics

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, August 03, 2016, 20:45 (2972 days ago) @ Sarge

have the rounded, skirted follower.

These are not skirted followers...

by rob @, Wednesday, August 03, 2016, 21:19 (2972 days ago) @ Sarge

It's basically a Shooting Star with a higher quality spring...I think. The gun is a Springfield Loaded. Not sure what it does with the factory mags. I'll have to unload it and give it a try with one of my spare factory mags. With the CMC mags, the only time they don't drop free is empty mag, slide closed.

CMC Powermags and Classics- skirted?

by Gunner @, St Louis, Wednesday, August 03, 2016, 21:20 (2972 days ago) @ Sarge

CMC web site shows the classic devel style two finger follower in the mag, same with the classic.

In their FAQ section I found this......

When “bench testing” the fit of your CMC magazine, before inserting it into the pistol, first press down on the top forward section of the follower before inserting it into the pistol. This will place the follower in the same position it would be after the last round was fired out of the magazine. Again, with an empty pistol, keeping your finger off and out of the trigger guard, insert the magazine into the pistol. If you slowly insert the magazine it should easily go into the magazine well until the top of the magazine makes contact with the mag catch, at which point just briefly increase the upward force on the magazine to cam the mag catch open. Then the magazine should continue upward until you hear and/or feel a click from the mag catch when the magazine is fully seated and locked in the pistol. If the follower was seated properly, when you press the magazine release button, the magazine should eject out of the pistol’s magazine well. If the magazine release button is pressed and the empty magazine only extends out of the bottom of the pistol a little ways, you should be able to strip it out of the pistol. Simply slide the index finger of your support hand down the front strap of the pistol, making contact with the forward section of the base pad. Reseating the follower as described above should cure the problem of the magazine ejecting fully from the pistol.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

CMC Powermags and Classics- skirted?

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, August 03, 2016, 21:56 (2972 days ago) @ Gunner

Terminal terminology error on my part. My bad.

Factory Springfield mags...

by rob @, Wednesday, August 03, 2016, 21:39 (2972 days ago) @ Sarge

Don't do it. The CMC followers slide around a bit more than the factory Springfield mags. I may just buy some Tripp Research followers and pop them in later.

Yes, with "Chip-Mc"s

by cas, Thursday, August 04, 2016, 12:55 (2972 days ago) @ rob

I used to use CMC power mags and never had any trouble with them shooting recreationally, or shooting matches at one local range that is gravel. By my home range is sand, and after being dropped a time or two they would start to do that. They never failed to feed, but just wouldn't drop from time to time. Killer in a USPSA match. I had to clean them often. So I switched to Metalforms with the different style follower and easier to clean on the range.

issues with follower...

by Gunner @, St Louis, Wednesday, August 03, 2016, 19:27 (2972 days ago) @ rob

One of the reasons I never cared for CMC or GI type mags, the followers tilt and hang up, why I prefer Wilson's with their skirted follower, most of the higher regarded mags have skirted follower, I believe there is a reason for it.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Ever have issues with 1911 magazine follower...

by Jared, Thursday, August 04, 2016, 08:23 (2972 days ago) @ rob

Yes I have . It isn't uncommon for the split follower CMC magazines to do that in my experience. There was also some complaints a while back about them damaging aluminum feed ramp on light weight commanders. They would push out far enough to contact the lower part of the feed ramp and then dent or scratch them made out of aluminum. I first started using their shooting star magazines almost 25 years ago and tried some of their power mags maybe 10 years later. I was never really fond of them and found other options to be better for my uses.

My go to magazines are the Wilson I like their 7 round and the newer 8 round with the slightly longer body, EDM maybe? My only problem with Wilson's were my first batch developed weak mag springs after a while and Wilson replaced them. I haven't had that problem since and since their customer service was so good I haven't found a reason to change.

I have also had good results with mil spec 7 round magazines made by several people.

I had the same issues with Wilson mags...

by rob @, Thursday, August 04, 2016, 09:09 (2972 days ago) @ Jared

In the past with weak springs not locking the slides back. It sounds like they have the issue resolved and I may give them a shot. I just prefer them flush fit without bump pads and I don't remember if Wilson has an 8 round flush fit mag or not but that was my main reason for choosing the CMC. The Power Mag+ is the one with the skirted follower to resolve the issue with aluminum frame guns. Did some reading on their web sight last night.

You want bumper pads! exepct maybe, on your concealed

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, August 04, 2016, 12:42 (2972 days ago) @ rob

1911... it really helps to seat the mags.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

For a back up mag that's fine, but....

by rob @, Friday, August 05, 2016, 23:37 (2970 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

On my pistol I really prefer flush fit for concealed carry, like you said. But, I don't have or need a an extended mag well funnel on my pistol and that's why most folks need bumper pads. If I ever start carrying it open I wouldn't mind the bumper pads though.

No flush fit, but

by Jared, Friday, August 05, 2016, 14:56 (2971 days ago) @ rob

What I do is carry a 47 7 round and add a thin aluminum pasepad that Wilson sells. Then I carry the ETM 8 round for my spare magazine.

RSS Feed of thread