Fav 1911s?

by Bryan, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 18:52 (2980 days ago)

I've been shooting a Kimber super carry pro...the bobtail version for awhile. It's a good gun and I have no complaints. I've been wanting a nice 1911 for awhile....since I sold my last Ed Brown. One I've never owned but have wanted is a Les Baer 5" model...maybe a TRS...maybe a Premiere II.

What are some of your fav 1911s?

Forgot to mention my Colt Ace...

by Bryan Pettet @, Ft Worth, TX, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 18:58 (2980 days ago) @ Bryan

they aren't supposed to be that accurate but this one is. It surprises a lot of people. It's definitely a fav.

Fav 1911s?

by Gunner @, St Louis, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 19:26 (2980 days ago) @ Bryan

Just for you Bryan..........

[image]

Sadly the 5" bi-tone is gone but still have the other three, by far my favorite is the 6" Premiere II, amazing how easy it is to whack distance targets with it. Used it for a few years in Steel Challenge type matches, 35-42 yard plates were easy to hit quickly.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

I knew you had several...

by Bryan Pettet @, Ft Worth, TX, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 20:17 (2980 days ago) @ Gunner

that's a nice collection. What's the highest round count among them? If you were going to start over and have one Les Baer it would be the 6"? What if you were going to also carry it...which one?

I knew you had several...

by Gunner @, St Louis, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 20:51 (2980 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

Highest round was the two tone, around 5,500 rds, next would be the 6 incher at about 4,500 rds, not much with the commander, mainly a carry gun and just shot the blue 5 incher two weekends ago for the first time.

If I could only have one???? The 6 incher, hands down, feels the best in my hand and easiest to shoot accurately. I have had more than a few 1911's over the years but the Baer's are my favorite, oh did I mention I used to have a Baer Thunder Ranch Special also, best trigger of the bunch, so smooth with the best surprise break on the sear.

Gunner

--

Thx for the report...why is the TRS gone? NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 20:55 (2980 days ago) @ Gunner

-

TRS gone?

by Gunner @, St Louis, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 21:14 (2980 days ago) @ Bryan

Like many guns over the years, it was sold to pay for other things, bills, guns, accessories, knife equipment etc.

At times the "I want it" and what's in the wallet don't jive.

Gunner

--

I hear that. Many good ones have been sent on. NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 21:22 (2980 days ago) @ Gunner

-

I love my Super Tach II

by Fowler, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 22:35 (2980 days ago) @ Gunner

[image]

I have had it going on 12 years I'd guess, burned 30k rounds through it I'd guess, wear it most days on my hip. Still will hold tighter than I can shoot, but 12" gongs at 100 yards are easy if I do my part. Spoiled for buying any other 1911s, can't afford to match it much less upgrade it.

I love my Super Tach II

by Fowler, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 22:38 (2980 days ago) @ Fowler

[image]

I think the Concealed Carry Officer's Lightweight is the

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 22:47 (2980 days ago) @ Bryan

most practical nowadays. Enough barrel length for functional reliability and more accurate while being light and compact enough for good concealability. Thanks to Rob Leahy, mine was put together by Jim Garthwaite and it is a gem indeed. I have but don't shoot the others. All are Colts, it just turned out that way.

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Nice. What made you go with that model? NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 08:46 (2980 days ago) @ Fowler

-

Nice! Jim who? Just kidding! NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 08:48 (2980 days ago) @ Hobie

-

Nice. What made you go with that model? NT

by Fowler, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 08:57 (2980 days ago) @ Bryan

I actually was looking to get a different two toned Les Baer, Concept 6 if I recall but this came up used under the gun counter at my local pushers for $400 less than the new gun would have cost ($1000 less than this model was priced at new at the time) and was in near new condition with all of the upgrades I was pondering such as a mag well and night sights.

With good ammo it will still shoot 2" groups at 50 yards, the only time it jams is if you feed it ammo that is too long (my fault) or run 2k rounds of hard cast ammo through it without cleaning.

30k rounds and still 2" 50 yd groups. Awesome. NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 09:07 (2980 days ago) @ Fowler

-

Fav 1911s? I don't currently own one but Chuck Warner's

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 10:27 (2980 days ago) @ Bryan

excellent 1911s and lwt Hi=Powers are the best I have seen.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Was he at Raton with Travis? Didn't catch his name. NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 11:28 (2980 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

-

Yes sir. He makes a might fine 1911 and Hi Power...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 12:23 (2980 days ago) @ Bryan

I dare say better than any Nighthawk, Wilson, Ed Brown I have handled...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

What's his website? He had bad reviews in times past. NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 12:28 (2980 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

-

I'm looking at a 1.5" Premier II right now. NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 14:04 (2980 days ago) @ Fowler

-

I don't own one that would be considered a fav

by bj @, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 20:11 (2979 days ago) @ Bryan

Many years ago I thought the Gold Cup was the ultimate and I bought one, but the stock Gold Cup under the skin was a pretty ordinary gun and not accurate enough for what I would like. That one got traded off a long time ago.

What I like for looks is the standard 5" model with adjustable rear sight. What I like to carry and use is the Commander length. I think the Baer Premier II is pretty much at the top of my list and too expensive for me to own. If I hit the lottery I think I would like to have Ed Brown build one for me but I don't honestly know if it would be any better than the stock Baer.

There are so many ways to go I could never have as many as I could dream up-
5", steel, .45ACP, adjustable sights
5", stainless steel, .45ACP, adjustable sights
5", steel, .460 Rowland, adjustable sights
5", steel, 10mm, adjustable sights
4.25", alloy, .45ACP, adjustable sights
(notice I have a thing for adjustable sights)

Maybe I should sell some other junk and buy one or two good ones, worthy of being faves.

I'm looking at a 1.5" Premier II right now. NT

by Fowler, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 20:46 (2979 days ago) @ Bryan

My uncle bought a DCM Les Baer gun years ago and shot the snot out of it. In time he got the itch for something new and ordered a 1 1/2" Premier II and said the gun is tighter but he couldn't prove it was any more accurate. Nor could he prove the 1 1/2" claims but that is damn tough to do.

Les Baer certainly builds fine guns and we have never had a lemon in the bunch we have played with.

BJ, you should seriously consider that last line...

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 20:48 (2979 days ago) @ bj

I've gone through various phases of gun ownership like most of us here. There's a good chance you could sell a few things and treat yourself to something nice.

I remember 10 years ago, selling 3 guns to get a good set of Swaro binocular. I can't remember what guns I sold and I don't miss them. You deserve a few nice things. Nice is relative but you get to decide what that means.

I've wanted a Les Baer for 15 years and never got around to it. Going to change that. Did the same thing with Freedom Arms and a few other things like that. No regrets.

I wouldn't want to pay full retail but....

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 20:52 (2979 days ago) @ Fowler

the 1.5" option is something I would get if the right gun came along. Full retail on that option is only $300 but I don't plan on paying full retail anyway.

Can I shoot 1.5" at 50 yards? Not hardly but it's cool to know the gun can.

that sounds like mine

by Jared, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 11:00 (2979 days ago) @ Fowler

", the only time it jams is if you feed it ammo that is too long (my fault) or run 2k rounds of hard cast ammo through it without cleaning"

The only jam I have never had with mine was at the holiday. I had a bunch of gunk from bullet lube and stuff build up on the breech face and under the extractor, and I had a couple of jams. Pulling the extractor and wiping it and the face down with a rag had it running 100% again and since, no telling how many cast rounds had been fired without cleaning to get to that point.

I know you like yours. Which model is it? NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 11:01 (2979 days ago) @ Jared

-

I don't own one that would be considered a fav

by Jared, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 11:04 (2979 days ago) @ bj

You should get one. I found my Baer very lightly used on gunbroker for about $1200 8- 10 years ago. Not only is it my favorite 1911, it is my favorite semi auto, and in my top few guns that I would never sell.

I know you like yours. Which model is it? NT

by Jared, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 11:06 (2979 days ago) @ Bryan

I think it is the Concept II, a pretty basic model, but it has all the features I want.

I have considered selling my Series 70 Gold cup and buying an Adjustable sighted Baer.

Just as not all 1911's are .45ACP...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 14:44 (2979 days ago) @ Bryan

Not all .45ACP's are 1911's.

Sorry for veering off topic but here's some:

[image]

Sorry for the lack of photographic skills--rushed it a bit. Not shown is a Colt New Service which is currently in pieces.

Favorite? Garsh, hard to say. The Springfield was the very first pistol I ever bought. Bill Snow made the trigger an absolute joy. The Blackhawk convertible was a gift from my Dad and will be passed on to one of my sons. The Night Hawg rides with me whenever we travel.

Hell, I like 'em all.

Nice family photo - NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 16:55 (2978 days ago) @ Hoot

-

Sweet!

by rob @, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 18:37 (2978 days ago) @ Hoot

I love the hammer/grip safety upgrade on the Springfield.

RSS Feed of thread