Another view of the VA

by Ken ONeill, Monday, July 18, 2016, 09:02 (2989 days ago)

In the last several years, the news has been rife with negative news about the Veterans Administration and its medical care. Several weeks ago after a week or two of stomach aches that he thought was a flu, my brother- in-law, a Marine Viet Nam combat veteran, also noticed that his skin was becoming jaundiced. His Grandson drove him to the VA Medical Center in Asheville, N.C.

Tests were run, and within hours, he was diagnosed with inoperable Pancreatic Cancer. Spots were also found on his liver and kidneys. He spent a week in ICU, then about a week in a private room,before he was moved to a Hospice unit 4 days ago. He died this morning. His daughter and my wife spent every day and night with him.They observed his treatment first hand.

The quality and type of care he received in all three of these areas was superb. Doctors, nurses and other staff did everything one could have asked for to assure his comfort and minimize his pain.

This excellent performance is something that I thought you might want to know.

Another view of the VA

by Paul ⌂, Monday, July 18, 2016, 09:24 (2989 days ago) @ Ken ONeill

Thanks for sharing that. Too often we let the negative overshadow the positive. I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law's passing on. May your family find peace in this time of bereavement.

Glad he was treated well, and sorry for your loss.

by Caz, Monday, July 18, 2016, 09:50 (2989 days ago) @ Ken ONeill

nm

That is good to hear about the VA.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, July 18, 2016, 11:09 (2989 days ago) @ Ken ONeill

My God bless you all.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Thanks for that candid review Ken. Sorry for your loss. NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Ft Worth, TX, Monday, July 18, 2016, 11:40 (2989 days ago) @ Ken ONeill

-

Sorry for the family loss, good info about the VA

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, July 18, 2016, 15:55 (2989 days ago) @ Ken ONeill

nt

Another view of the VA

by Robb Barnes, Monday, July 18, 2016, 22:30 (2988 days ago) @ Ken ONeill

Ken, I am so sorry about your families loss. I am thankful that the care he received was both professional and compassionate and that your family could be there with him. With three children in the military, it is good to know that all the stories on the news do not tell the whole picture about the care our service men and women receive.

RSS Feed of thread