Traditions 1851 Navy Conversion in .38 Special Loading

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 12:12 (3000 days ago)

I'm shaky about the early Colt models and their reproductions but I'm pretty sure I've got it correct.

Here they are:

[image]

I would assume because it's recent production, that any standard pressure .38 Spl load is OK. I can see plenty of reasons not to hot-rod but would I be better served using lighter-than-standard loads? Or just run standard .38's and quit thinking about it?

Thanks for the input,
Hoot

The perfect pistols for 38 special wadcutters....

by WIL TERRY, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 15:07 (3000 days ago) @ Hoot

YESsirreee...!

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, July 07, 2016, 15:16 (3000 days ago) @ Hoot

Don`t know anything about them -- But they sure look cute! :-D :usa:

by uncowboy, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 16:31 (3000 days ago) @ Fivegunner

If I am not mistaking they need recessed bullets that are case dia and smaller to seat in the brass. Ck Bore dia. J.Michael

Thank you Sir.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 19:58 (2999 days ago) @ uncowboy

While I have not slugged the barrel nor measured the throats, I have fired "traditional" .38 Special loads through them. Albeit, conservative charges of Trail Boss, but conventional bullets and COAL's etc. Just wondering if I needed to take it easy on loading or if any standard .38 load would do.

Thanks for your thoughts.

WT, a very fine thought.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 19:59 (2999 days ago) @ WIL TERRY

Will report back.

Thanks Frank.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 20:00 (2999 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Had them at one of the TSMS shoots. I disremember if you were there or not. Fun sixshooters nonetheless.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, July 08, 2016, 05:29 (2999 days ago) @ Hoot

I had one that came from OD. I'm pretty sure it ended up going to Doc Hudson when I was done with it. It had been cut down, roughly, so I smoothed up the muzzle and put a crown on it. Made a front sight and it ended up being a good little shooter. I fed it mainly with the standard 3.5 gr bullseye and a 158 cast bullet. Due to the design and possible softnitalian steels, I'd definitely take it easy on them, but being modern made, any .38 load should be ok in them.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I recall a short one from earlier but couldn't come up...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, July 08, 2016, 07:34 (2999 days ago) @ Slow Hand

with the 'who'. I kept thinking AK Church had one but it was a long time back.

I have shot these in the past with modest loads of Trail Boss but they haven't 'been out to play' for a while. A friend is coming in from Russia and wants to shoot something "old western". I figured he'd enjoy giving these a whirl.

RSS Feed of thread