update

by Glen, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 11:32 (3008 days ago)

Good morning gentlemen,

I thought I would give you folks an update, as this situation has had an impact on this discussion board in the past, and several of you have asked about it. For several years a friend of mine was a somewhat sporadic contributor to this discussion board. Over the years, he went by a variety of "handles", most recently (circa 2012) "FOG" (an abbreviation for "Friend of Glen"). I have known FOG since about 1990, and he and I spent many afternoons at a local gravel pit plinking together. He has a few quirks, but he's a nice guy, and very knowledgeable about handguns, especially S&W revolvers. He and I worked together in the early 90s, but then kind of drifted apart when his job took him to another building, across campus. A little after the turn of the century, he was diagnosed with MS (as many of you know, MS is a cause near and dear to my heart as my wife has MS). FOG's MS very quickly had an impact on his ability to perform his job (e.g. the fatigue would build to the point where he would sleep for 3 days straight), and he was ultimately laid off and put on disability. MS tends to progress faster in men than it does in women, and that tendency held true here, as his symptoms (fatigue, depression, weakness, numbness, etc.) got progressively worse in spite of treatment. He confided in me that at one point he had had a bad reaction to one of the depression meds prescribed for him, and had gone on a tear of angry, aggressive, abusive behavior that had lasted several days. This is relevant here because about a year later (circa 2012), he went on an angry, abusive, and highly vulgar and profane tirade on this discussion board, insulting a number of the members and calling into question their integrity, character, parentage, etc. I was stunned by this behavior, because this was not typical of the person I knew. Repeated email queries to him were ignored. Several of you asked me what was going on. I don't know what caused this outburst, but I suspect that it was another bad reaction to his depression meds. In any event, that was the last I heard from him (~4 years ago).

Until yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon, I got a phone call from him, from the county jail. He was being held on a 72 hour investigative hold. It seems that there has been an on-going dispute between him and his neighbors (who like to throw loud parties into the wee hours of the morning). It escalated into such childish stuff as egg-throwing back and forth. I have no idea what happened, but sometime last week FOG says he was "attacked" by the neighbor during a late night confrontation, and was "forced" to pull a gun on him. It seems the local PD disagreed with his assessment and arrested him for assault. I don't know any of the particulars of the case, so I have no way of saying how justified the charges are, but I do note that he was not released at the end of his investigative hold (I was waiting for him in the parking lot at the county jail at 1:30am this morning), meaning the DA has decided to pursue charges. Generally speaking, DAs are not noted for pursuing cases they think they will lose, so I suspect that there might be big changes ahead for him (according to the internet, in this state first time offenders for Assault II are typically looking at 3-12 months, and fines up to $20K).

Anyway, several of you have asked me about him and his situation, so I thought I would share this update.

Not Good...

by ~JM~, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 12:52 (3008 days ago) @ Glen

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I have witnessed the type of bad reaction to anti-depressants that you describe. I believe that they are a very dangerous drug that often cause more harm than good.

Good luck to the both of you.

~JM~

Glen , I will say a prayer for your friend and

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 16:42 (3008 days ago) @ Glen

Hope everything gets better for him . Thanks for sharing.

likewise

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 17:46 (3007 days ago) @ Fivegunner

nt

Thank you!

by Glen, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 18:05 (3007 days ago) @ Fivegunner

nm

Oh no

by Otony, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 19:10 (3007 days ago) @ Glen

This is not good at all. I've wondered about him at times, as you well know.

If you manage to contact him, perhaps you can suggest that his lawyer pursues the issues regarding his prescriptions. I realize that is as obvious to you and the rest of us as egg on ones face, but in his condition (and likely depression) he might be overlooking it.

Then again, it could be a touch difficult to broach that subject, as the drugs might not allow for a lot of rational thought right now.

Otony

Very sad.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 19:32 (3007 days ago) @ Glen

FOG and I exchanged a few e-mails about S&W's and whatever was going on at the time but I haven't heard anything since the "blow-out". This helps to explain what was a big mystery to me as well.

We have offered up prayers for a peaceful resolution to all of his ills.

He impressed me as a good sort and I'd like to see him back.

Glen, thanks for the update.

by Murphy @, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 21:07 (3007 days ago) @ Glen

I recall him doing many good things for others here, then seemingly things went all awry. I never understood exactly what was going on with him, but hated seeing it. I was a recipient of one of his FREETAGH packages. I still have the items he sent me and have from time to time looked at them and wondered just what had happened to him and why? I recall back in 2012 something coming up about his physical health, but never made the connection that the medications may have been what caused his actions.

Glen, you are truly a good man. Bless you for sticking by him and trying to help him.

I'll keep in my prayers.

Murphy

You will now be known as FOD...

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 16:14 (3007 days ago) @ Glen

Thanks for the update, and thanks for standing by him in the middle of the storm. That's what real friends do. I was thinking about him just the other day. Sure am sorry to hear the way things have been going for him. Thank you for being there for him and for letting us know how best to pray for him.

Very sad... He was generous to a fault, then crazy as a loon

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 17:06 (3007 days ago) @ Hoot

rabid, nasty crazy...Polar opposite of the FOG we all thought we knew. probably going a need a rubber room.
I'll pray for him. But, I won't, and you don't, ever forget that he is a sociopath.
Rob

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Understood Rob.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 19:10 (3006 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Sad in much the same way as a recent discussion you and I had. I pray for healing for each of these fellows.

God heals. I know.

Yes, he does!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 21:40 (3006 days ago) @ Hoot

amen!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I am sorry

by Charles, Saturday, July 02, 2016, 20:57 (3004 days ago) @ Glen

To hear that and wish him all the best.

RSS Feed of thread