Bill Bagwell bowie informational post.

by Lofty, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 13:48 (3009 days ago)

While seaching google for something, stumbled across an old post here showing interest in Bill Bagwell's work. Thought I would update, add info etc for curious, likely will not be checking back on post for personal replies, and mainly for information amongst yourselves.

Bill is 72 now, I guess over 50yrs at the forge now, have seen a knife he made at age 12. What with heart problems and intervention, recovery etc, he is backlogged over two years, and currently running at 1/4 throttle and still forging knives this Texas summer. Due to his peak fitness took a week for a standard bowie, two weeks for a Hell's Belle (a week to forge a wootz guard, alone), AND him at anything but peak and self employed as for bills, insurance, retirement, etc, he has had to cut out orders of plain steel $2000 knives, which lack now even ability to put groceries on the table. So a prospective buyer is looking at $3000 wootz standard bowie and $4000 wootz standard HB.

As the only producing (and I think living) founder of the ABS (his Master stamp was #2), and considering Bob Loveless tried to charge broke 1978 college student Yours Truly $2000 for a boot knife which he sold for $150 in 1971, Bill Bagwell is a bargain.

He makes knives to order and asks all manner of personal questions, which vary depending, i think, on his perception of personal background, but be prepared to be asked which hand, glove and/or shoe size, height, weight, waist size, sleeve length, shirt size, collar size etc..

Knives vary such as a 6'2" 180lb youth buyer getting an 11.5" blade with 3/8ths" thick ricasso, or a little lady with 10" blade of quarter inch thick ricasso, to my own of 11 3/8ths" length blade which is 0.300" at ricasso, and 0.220" at clip origin. Everything will vary, depth, taper, clip length, weight. The weight of this one is 1lb on the nose.

That weight is only 1oz over this particular Model 14, and the knife is set up very much as the Model 1-8, and handles as one, including drop to blade relative to handle, bottom drop of handle towards rear, etc. Not apparent is sabre down/up curve to spine and edge.

Calling a knife LARGE is relative, and the Bagwell more a heavy butcher knife feel.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Yep I am over 3 years waiting niow. I spoke with Bill a

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 15:42 (3009 days ago) @ Lofty

he was not doing well. I'll be happy if he gives me a call. I have a couple of the Ontario Bagwell blades and several of Lynn Thompson's fine blades, and my great Bill Snow Bowie to tide me over.
[image][image]
My favorite picture of Bill with my friend Scott T. in front of the Alamo...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

As anyone from Texas would confirm,

by Lofty, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 17:15 (3009 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

in the group photo of the knives, the only thing close to a real bowie knife might be the top knifex while admitting it might be a wee bit small for Jim Bowie.

The good news for you, Mr. Leahy, is that he is back at the forge and grinder, hoping for even more of a rebound before daily hitting the wall, so to speak. He went from Dec/Jan of not able to walk to range, to back to working the last 4-5 mths and he is in my prayers the improvement continues and that he does not kill his damned fool self. Nobody has any idea of the depths of his kindness.

addendum to prevent time wasting with an "authorized dealer"

by Lofty, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 22:27 (3008 days ago) @ Lofty

If a serious buyer, call Bill direct. If searching net for another source, you likely will come across a dealer site and various posts by same banned on forums. It WAS a legitimate thing, Bill did send him about a half dozen knives, and knows a dealer would expect to make a little profit, but that the dealer prices were insane and that he cut him off. Just to save anyone wasting time in this matter. Personally, in poking around on the net, found the dealer generally evasive on price but found one or two answers where he quoted $5000 on a $3000 knife.

Yep, I spoke with Bill directly.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 23:06 (3008 days ago) @ Lofty

Lynn Thompson was trying to help him out with a Cold Steel production Bagwell design, with resulting royalties for Bill, but the Ontario contract muddied the waters...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

That is classic Scott T

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 07:54 (3008 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Hope he is doing well.

classic Mr T-shirt for sure. nt

by Lofty, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 11:02 (3008 days ago) @ Sarge

nt

I do believe he may have a bigger "set" than me.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 19:35 (3007 days ago) @ Sarge

I'm pretty sure I would not dare to lift a blade against Mr. Bagwell. I would think he knows a whole lot more about how to run one than I do.

However, that is a GREAT picture!

RSS Feed of thread