Bisley - ok, went and ordered the grip frame and parts

by stonewalrus, Thursday, June 02, 2016, 20:37 (3034 days ago)

But not the grips. Is there anything special about one set of grips over another or is it more on aesthetics?

Aesthetics.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, June 03, 2016, 05:09 (3034 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I find Ruger's mystery wood grips to be quite thick. I have thinned down one pair and replaced another with some aftermarket, which were also thin. That said, I have yet others wearing stock panels.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choices.

It currently wears a pair of Herretts I "whittled" down

by stonewalrus, Friday, June 03, 2016, 06:14 (3034 days ago) @ Hoot

I think that might be the way to go - find an inexpensive pair to trim down. I do woodcarving so hand tools for woodworking aren't a problem.

It currently wears a pair of Herretts I "whittled" down

by Paul ⌂, Friday, June 03, 2016, 11:39 (3034 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Grip fit is very subjective. So far I've never handled a Bisely that felt right to MY hand. Other folks love them. What's important is how it handles for YOU and how it feels in YOUR hand. Since you know how to whittle, whittle 'em 'til they fit right and feel right and handle recoil right in your hand. You'll end up with a custom fit that works for you.

SK Grips...

by ~JM~, Friday, June 03, 2016, 11:52 (3034 days ago) @ Paul

Check this guy out: http://skgrips.com

He whittles a great feeling set of Bisley grips!

~JM~

same here

by bj @, Friday, June 03, 2016, 18:57 (3034 days ago) @ Paul

I've decided that the Bisley design is not intended to feel good, it is intended to handle recoil well. But actually I wonder what would have inspired Ruger to build them since their heaviest recoiling product at the time would have been the .44 magnum and that works well enough the standard XR3-RED grip. (I'm assuming that Ruger designers didn't use their products with non-standard ammo i.e. heavy bullet .45 Colt loads, and at the time that the Bisley came out maybe there weren't any heavy loads on the market. The Linebaugh cartridges weren't well known at that time and they are the ones that really need the Bisley grip.

+1 on Scott's work

by JohnB @, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 09:35 (3033 days ago) @ ~JM~
edited by JohnB, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 09:38

He does whittle a fine set of grips.This was a Super Blackhawk I converted grip frame to Bisley. [image]

SK Grips Mesquite Burl Bisley

by ~JM~, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 09:53 (3033 days ago) @ JohnB

[image]

SK Grips...

by SKgrips, Friday, June 10, 2016, 15:46 (3027 days ago) @ ~JM~

Thanks guys--I remember making those for you guys.
I have some gorgeous burl mesquite right now--only a 2 week turnaround this summer.

SK Grips...

by ~JM~, Friday, June 10, 2016, 18:31 (3027 days ago) @ SKgrips

Good to hear from you.

Hope all is well on your end.

~JM~

RSS Feed of thread