Ranger Scientific

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 09:26 (3037 days ago)

Looks like WV will have an ammo plant to produce "harmonically tuned" rifle ammunition, 500 million rounds per year. This ammunition is used in Olympic and other international competitions, as well as by experts hunters and in specialized U.S. military applications. Any thoughts?

http://www.tristateupdate.com/story/32101557/texas-company-to-build-ammunitions-plant-i...

Ranger Scientific

by CJM @, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 19:25 (3036 days ago) @ Creeker

Aren't the only calibers used in international competitions (Olympics etc) 22 LR and 22 short?
Be good if they also produced a much cheaper "club" 22 LR product like Eley does, though even that is really expensive for plinking. Still might reduce the shortage of 22 LR a little bit.

Harmonically tuned?

by MR, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 21:15 (3036 days ago) @ CJM

Considering that you can change the harmonics of a barrel with length, diameter, suppressors, etc., I'm not seeing what "harmonically tuned" actually is, much less accomplishing. Other than just another Oooooo Ahhhh marketing factor that is.

Ranger Scientific

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, June 01, 2016, 07:10 (3036 days ago) @ Creeker

Maybe I'm just uninformed, but I've never heard of them. More ammo is a good thing tho...and good for WV.

Hey, Creeker!

by webservant @, Wednesday, June 01, 2016, 08:10 (3036 days ago) @ Creeker

Just a heads up. For some reason, your ISP (suddenlink) is bouncing response notifications from the forum. Don't really know what's up with that, just that they think the response notices from the forum are spam.

I try & check it out

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Wednesday, June 01, 2016, 09:37 (3036 days ago) @ webservant

Harmonically tuned?

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Wednesday, June 01, 2016, 10:36 (3036 days ago) @ MR

From the news release today:

The plant will mass produce “harmonically tuned” rifle ammunition, which is used in Olympic and other international competitions as well as by expert hunters and in specialized U.S. military applications. Those types of bullets reduce weapon vibration during firing.

RSS Feed of thread