Light loading a 9 mm wuestion

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 27, 2016, 05:56 (3041 days ago)

I am thinking of buying my wife a Ruger LC380. Son #1 has the LC9 (same frame). I would like to have my wife shoot the LC9 but more at 380 levels (I realize the slide probably won't cycle). Is there a load I could try or maybe some factory load that has less recoil?

Doesn't look good.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, May 27, 2016, 06:26 (3041 days ago) @ stonewalrus

At most bullet weights, there's a couple hundred fps's difference. So, accepted light loads for the 9x19 would generally be too heavy for the simulation and dropping the load will likely result in failure to cycle as noted.

I do see that, for lighter bullets (80 & 90gr), the difference is less and the .380 can get pretty close. The sacrifice there might be "sharpness" of the recoil impulse. I guess I'd be leaning towards lighter bullets and slower (for the cartridge) powders.

It might be easier to rent a LC-380 at the local range?

Hell, come to MN and I'll let you shoot Dad's! ;-)

There are several ranges within the middle TN area

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 27, 2016, 08:06 (3041 days ago) @ Hoot

Calling around and renting one might be best.

by Paul ⌂, Friday, May 27, 2016, 07:28 (3041 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Is there a reason for not going with the 9mm itself? Haven't shot the LC series, but the 9mm Shield is one sweet shooting pistol, not hard to handle at all. Was looking at the various 380's, but the difference in size and price was so negligible that the Shield ended up as the choice.

my wife is not into guns and has only shot a 22 Bersa

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 27, 2016, 08:04 (3041 days ago) @ Paul

Getting her to shoot at all is an accomplishment.

If you can get her to

by Paul ⌂, Friday, May 27, 2016, 08:09 (3041 days ago) @ stonewalrus

try both, the 9mm would be a better choice - if she's up to it. I understand that about the non-shooting wife...

Glad you are making progress in that direction.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, May 27, 2016, 08:36 (3041 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Miss Melodie first went to the range with me a bit less than 5 years ago. We took it easy for a long time but she can handle herself quite well now. She got on a .380 kick for a while because it's an easier cartridge to shoot. Additionally, it is also an easier slide to manipulate (which is why Dad bought one...arthritis).

She now owns an LC9s which she loves and shoots with great effectiveness in our little pistol league. She has shot everything up to about .45ACP power in both autos and revolvers in recent months. I am quite proud of her.

Something else to consider if your wife likes the Bersa .22 is to pick up a .380 Thunder. They can be had pretty cheap and the familiarity should be a good thing. That was Miss Melodie's first handgun purchase.

is the LC380 more pleasant to shoot than the Bersa 380?

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 27, 2016, 21:39 (3040 days ago) @ Hoot

Nm

I couldn't say.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 07:35 (3040 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I shot Dad's LC380 and it was generally favorable but I now cannot recall how it compared. If you are not in any hurry, I could do a side-by-side "shoot off" and report back. I don't find the Bersa to be in any way unpleasant.

I couldn't say.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 07:38 (3040 days ago) @ Hoot

Other than hand figment issues which will change from
Person to person, I would assume the Bersa would be a softer shooter, due to it being bigger and heavier. But then again, i have heard that locking barrels take up a slight bit of recoil over a fixed barrel, straight blowback design...

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I am not in a rush to buy. That would be great.

by stonewalrus, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 15:38 (3040 days ago) @ Hoot

Nm

Hornady has their "pink lite" c.d. load......

by Recovering from carpel tunnel......, Friday, May 27, 2016, 19:14 (3041 days ago) @ stonewalrus

but they sure are proud of them at $.90 +

one box would be sufficient. Good idea.

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 27, 2016, 21:37 (3040 days ago) @ Recovering from carpel tunnel......

Nm

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, May 27, 2016, 22:54 (3040 days ago) @ stonewalrus

CZ82 bro... super nice, 12 shots, easy to hit with and cheap. 9x18 splits the diff between the two cartridges. Nobody shot with an 82 will complain because you didn't shoot them with a nine.

RSS Feed of thread