Twyla Taylor.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, May 14, 2016, 14:00 (3054 days ago)

Twyla Taylor R.I.P. 2016

[image]

Wife, mother, grandma, friend and great human being…..

I first meant Twyla in the 1996 or 1997 after an introduction to Jim by Miles Fortis, I liked her from the first moment. Sweet, kind, and friendly and with that slight southern drawl in her voice she just made you feel like family.

From the late 90’s to mid 2000’s I spent several weekends a year plus a full week during deer season here in Missouri hunting with Jim. She always went out of her way to make me feel welcomed and at ease staying with her and Jim, She laughed one time saying I was like a playmate for Jim so she liked that I came down and stayed the weekend or week hunting deer to keep him out of her hair : )

During one weekend visit, upon arriving I found out she was not feeling well and offered to turn around and go back to St Louis. She would not have any of that nonsense and demanded I stay. A few hours later I was outside by my van just looking at the countryside and trying to give her some space. She saw me outside, got out of bed and came to the door telling me to get inside, she figured out what I was doing and would have none of it. Yes I went in, didn’t want to upset “Mom”. She made me feel welcomed into her world no matter the situation and I didn’t want to disappoint her.

Twyla’s other talent, besides keeping Jim in line, was handgun grip scrimshaw. Talented is kinda a understatement. One Saturday evening after dinner she sat down at the kitchen table and worked on a pair of ivory 1911 grip panels. Seems a gentleman from the other side of the world heard about her work and commissioned her to scrimshaw a set dragon grip panels. Now being a fan of dragons I sat down next to her and watched in amazement how she free hand craved out the dragon with great detail. Such detail in a small scale was truly amazing. She worked with such happiness and enjoyed showing and explaining the details of her work, saddens me I will never be able to own of a piece of her work.

Hard to say everything that needs to be said about her, the best way I can sum it all up is the world just lost a great woman.

One of the things I will miss most is how she said my nickname, with that sweet southern drawl, always brought a smile to my face, Twyla I will miss you.

Irvin “Gunner” Smith
St Louis Mo

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Twyla Taylor.....Thank you Gunner. In that photo

by MR, Saturday, May 14, 2016, 17:29 (3054 days ago) @ Gunner

She was making lunch burritos for a bunch of hungry guys in a the bottom of a whole in the earth in a place called Arkansas. They were wonderful and much appreciated by everyone there as she was by everyone she met.

Hell I was there. If you can't say that about being in her presence, you missed out on something.

Twyla Taylor.....Thank you Gunner. In that photo

by Jared, Saturday, May 14, 2016, 21:32 (3054 days ago) @ MR

We stumbled on that recipe today. I had printed it off and going though some papers we saw it. I need to make them soon.

Twyla Taylor.....The recipe would be a great post

by Amerileiro, SW MO, Monday, May 16, 2016, 15:09 (3052 days ago) @ Jared

so many of us have fine memories of the wonderful lady.

by Jared, Monday, May 16, 2016, 17:24 (3052 days ago) @ Amerileiro

I am nit home now, but I'll try and get a copy scanned and post it soon.

by Amerileiro, SW MO, Tuesday, May 17, 2016, 13:02 (3051 days ago) @ Jared

that would be great, Jared. My family and I had many pleasant meals at the home of Jim and Twyla before they went to Moz. She was a wonderful, kind and loving lady.

Twyla Taylor.....

by rob @, Saturday, May 14, 2016, 18:32 (3054 days ago) @ Gunner

Very well said and I concur. I won a free scrimshaw from Twyla and I bought the grips to have the work done on but never had the heart to take something like that for free. I knew she wouldn't take payment so I never sent the grips. I deeply regret that now. Probably July of 02 (IIRC) we were there for fireworks for the 4th...so was Miles, AK Church and maybe you? I can't remember now but it was a blast (especially when the fireworks exploded on the ground sending women scattering while a few of guys sat in our seats and looked around like "Where'd the wimmen go?"! She will be deeply missed.

Well said...wish I could find photos of her with us in AK.

by Bryan Pettet @, Saturday, May 14, 2016, 21:37 (3054 days ago) @ Gunner

I'm sure Jim has some. Those were some fav memories.

Nice write up Gunner.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 08:40 (3053 days ago) @ Gunner

Thank you for the memories. I know I have pictures around somewhere but haven't been able to find them just yet.

Twyla Taylor.....

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 12:59 (3053 days ago) @ Gunner

Thanks, Gunner. That gave a little more insight into a wonderful woman. I only met her face to face once, years ago, but from reading Jim's posts on Facebook, I could tell she was an exceptional woman.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Twyla Taylor.....

by Jhenry, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 14:29 (3053 days ago) @ Gunner
edited by Jhenry, Saturday, May 21, 2016, 19:49

I spent many a afternoon at the Taylor place and Twyla was always a joy to be around. Beth and the boys were so sad to hear of her passing.

RSS Feed of thread