Apparently, despite opinions to the contrary, the 41 caliber

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, May 13, 2016, 10:47 (3055 days ago)

does work!

This past weekend, a group of us converged in south, central Missouri to put the 41 caliber to the test. We were all carrying arms with a nominal 41 caliber bore and were attempting to put to rest the persistent thought that the 41 is only good for field mice, and not very big ones at that.

The link will take you to a slide show.

The smallest, and recipient of the "Best Hair Award", was taken by Miss Melodie. It weighed in at around 275lbs and was taken with a Marlin levergun in .41 Magnum. Good friend Jim (eyes closed; not unusual with most Jim pictures) took a 400lb sow with a Ruger No. 1 in .405 Winchester. My sow was of about the same size and was taken with a single shot from a .416 Taylor (after a bit of a 'rodeo'). Bro Dan, as is typical, shot the largest hog which was estimated by the skinners to be between 550 and 600lbs. His shot surprised me the most. A single shot using a Taurus Tracker(?) in .41 Magnum and his sow went about 25 feet and collapsed. He was shooting a 240gr home cast bullet. I was flabbergasted that it expired so quickly. We did find a piece of shrapnel but a significant portion of the bullet exited (round hole) after cutting the heart in half. We don't know if it partially shattered and caused extensive damage or what. The inside of the ribs looked like someone beat them with a hammer but no heavy bones were struck and no more bullet pieces were found.

Link => http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Hoot4570/slideshow/Hogs%202016

Sure, Gunner 's head will get all swollen up now;-) Great

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 13, 2016, 12:26 (3055 days ago) @ Hoot

Pics! Looks like a great time was had... I need to do that .

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Swollen up?? looks normal to me......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, May 13, 2016, 18:15 (3055 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Besides, who's idea do you think it was for everyone to use 41 calibers?????, I'll give you one guess and bet you get it right on the first try : )

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

;-) come on we all know how truly vast the differnce

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 13, 2016, 18:31 (3055 days ago) @ Gunner

is between .410 and .429 is...:-D I'll bet they had to fling those 41s out of the muzzle like Poncho and Cisco...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Looks like all had a great time.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Friday, May 13, 2016, 13:26 (3055 days ago) @ Hoot

I need to take some time this summer to work with my .41s. I've had a 58 and a 57 Smith for years but always seem to be shooting .44s, .45s or .475s. I took out the 57 a couple of years ago and had a ball with it. Just haven't had the time to show the round the attention it deserves.

Oh great...

by Brian A, Friday, May 13, 2016, 14:26 (3055 days ago) @ Hoot

Now I need to start looking for a 41, but ain't got no cash, so would have to sell something or trade for one. I am no good at parting with things though. Have shot Mark's 'Tommy Gun' a bit and really enjoyed it, but doubt he will ever part with that one.

Looks like a good time was had by all and I agree, Miss Melody definitely should've been awarded 'best hair'. Very nice slide show.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, May 13, 2016, 16:12 (3055 days ago) @ Hoot

Good pics of a great time. Thanks for sharing...

I have to admit

by MR, Friday, May 13, 2016, 18:11 (3055 days ago) @ Hoot

Miss Melodie's pig does indeed have the best hair.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, May 13, 2016, 19:43 (3054 days ago) @ Hoot

Hoot,

Mr. Taffin gave me a load for the Freedom Arms Model 83 in 41 Mag of 22 Grains of AA#9 and a 250 Gr Hard Cast for 1670 FPS. Not a weak sister load by any means. Load only for the Model 83 pictured below. Again a large picture. Need to find out how to re-size using our picture up load feature.

Art

[image]

Nice. What was the ball park cost of that hunt?

by Bryan Pettet @, Saturday, May 14, 2016, 21:41 (3053 days ago) @ Hoot

Those pigs are larger than you usually see.

We were just a bit under $900.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 08:37 (3053 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

Friday through Sunday at the lodge, guide fees and processing included. We also tipped our guide. Nice ranch with a large herds of buffalo, elk and red stag. Plenty of exotic sheep and rams. A water buffalo or three. Great fun!

Link => http://www.highadventureranch.com/

Thx - NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 19:02 (3053 days ago) @ Hoot

-

We were just a bit under $900.

by Brian A, Thursday, May 19, 2016, 21:06 (3048 days ago) @ Hoot

Was that per person, or?

Yep. Per each.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, May 20, 2016, 05:13 (3048 days ago) @ Brian A

The prices went up this year and we 'lost' a couple of regulars for this trip. It's not too bad because the ranch wants a deposit a couple of months in advance and the balance at the end of the hunt so you divide the pain a bit. Note: if you have to cancel after the deposit has been made, they will only apply it to another hunt.

Money can be saved by foregoing processing ($90) but then one is left with finding a local butcher or going it alone. I have a firm grasp on my butchering skills so I leave it to them. Besides, I really like their sausage.

Finding a couple of folks to share travel expenses helps as well. Mark probably isn't doing anything. ;-)

RSS Feed of thread