Something to talk about on a quiet Friday evening.

by MR, Friday, May 06, 2016, 19:36 (3061 days ago)

When I was about 17 and was thinking about what would be my choice would for general side arm duty in the country in central Texas(no bears)while working on my uncles ranch/feedot - well between bouts of typical teenage hormonal thoughts anyway. I decided I liked the Model 19 Smith and the Colt Lightweight Commander. I already had my 6.5 inch .357 Ruger Blackhawk and the only thing that kept it from being ideal was partly that it was a bit long and poked me in the ribs when sitting in pick up and mostly that I already had it. Well, now I have the same Blackhawk, an Enhanced Lightweight Stainless Commander in 45, and a 4 screw Model 19 in the pile. I tried my old faithful 4 inch 629 and found it to be more weight than I care to wear for an extended period of time. It has definitely gotten heavier and much harder kicking the older it gets.

I'm going to tote the chosen one as a side arm while slowly walking to where I set up to snipe pigs on the Rocking D with the suppressed Mauser Mark X, 30-06 with the 20inch Barlein 5r, soon to be completed at the local precision riflesmith - a whole other story in itself.

Decisions Decisions. Opinions Opinions.

ah yes, perfect packing pistol

by bj @, Friday, May 06, 2016, 20:53 (3061 days ago) @ MR

I've read about various searches for this and I've thought about them a lot.

There are a lot of answers to this question and you have some good ones already. But part of the fun is talking about it.

1. I don't know the percentages but there were some of the old model blackhawks made with 4 5/8" barrels. If you don't mind the smallbore cartridge, those would be a good choice for PPP. More recently Ruger has made the Montado with a short barrel and I think it would be a good PPP. Depending on your taste it might be even better with a birdshead grip. And I think it would be great with a J-frame rear sight and a new front sight blade.

2. The 629, even 4", is a little wide and heavy. The mountain gun version is a bit lighter but not light and just as wide. I think it is wise to carry a gun that is equal to the task that it might need to tackle, and the 629 could be considered necessary for some locations, no matter the weight, so in those situations it might be the PPP. There are lighter and/or smaller- the S&W Scandium 329 is no smaller but a lot lighter. It would be great for carry but not so perfect because we would want to spend some time shooting the thing. More recently S&W made the model 69 L-frame .44 magnum. It is a good compromise for a PPP because it is a little smaller and a little lighter, but not too light to enjoy shooting with substantial loads.

3. Having mentioned "up to the task" I recall the story of Sundles wanting a small but capable big bore handgun as backup in places where a substantial cartridge is required, and he chose a Freedom Arms 97 in .45 Colt so he could carry it with Ruger-class loads. I have experienced big loads in a Ruger .45 Colt and I'm not sure I want to shoot many of them through a short barrel FA 97.

4. And not to forget the 1911- I've often thought an accurized 1911 with adjustable sights would make a good field gun. Well I'm thinking field gun but then I realize that's just another term for PPP. For field carry a lightweight frame would be better, and I like the Commander length barrel/slide. However I haven't found anyone making a Commander length with lightweight frame and adjustable sights.

ah yes, perfect packing pistol

by Fowler, Saturday, May 07, 2016, 11:35 (3061 days ago) @ bj

First off Sundles is pretty recoil proof and lives in grizzly country, it will seriously influence your back country sidearm choices. A heavy loaded model 97 while not pleasant to shoot makes a world of since there as does a stoutly loaded Smith 329. A proper holster and belt will make bog guns manageable, I carried my FA 83 475 Linebaugh in Texas for 3 days last month with zero issues, Simply Rugged Sour Dough Pancake holster and a stiff Barranti Belt works wonders for shrinking big guns.

Certainly a sidearm for 2 legged vermin has a whole different set of requirements than a back country gun does that is more likely to to be asked to pot a grouse than stop a dope head. I personally dont like carry a gun in the back country that I cant consistently hit a 8-10" gong at 50 yards with. The requirements in the back country could see me trying to kill a coyote or crippled animal at something more than arms length of course, plus the chance encounter with a ground squirrel or jack rabbit that is daring me at longer ranges.

If bears are not a real concern a 32 mag works awfully well on my side fly fishing or working. In my 4 5/8" Single Six Vaquero I can run a 125gr bullet at 1300fps+ and forget its on my hip. A pocket full of mild 95gr target loads can be along if small game season is open and pot dinner when the chance arises without blowing up the grouse or my ears. My 2 1/2" model 19 is another under rated gun for the job, although back country work for me just begs for a single action.

I forgot the M19

by bj @, Saturday, May 07, 2016, 20:24 (3060 days ago) @ bj

I think the M19 is certainly a good candidate for PPP, or the M66 is even better. It depends on your attitude towards the .357 mag cartridge though.

by John P., Friday, May 06, 2016, 20:55 (3061 days ago) @ MR

I have always liked the S&W K frames for woods walking. I am usually carrying a 4 inch M-19 with 158 gr. SWC's over a healthy dose of Unique. My second choice is a 629 Mountain Revolver usually loaded with a hard cast SWC and 18.5 of 2400. I hunt/hike/ fish in various areas in New England. In northern NE the Bears are big and the Moose are sometimes aggressive, so that's when the 629 is carried.

That's the load I've settled on in my 44's...

by rob @, Saturday, May 07, 2016, 09:26 (3061 days ago) @ John P.

for a general purpose load, ether topped with a Keith bullet or a 240 XTP. The older I get I see the virtues of my 4" GP100 and 5" 1911 for all around side-companions but the 44's with the 2400 load are sure enough keepers.

PPP, All depends on the environment. Me in South Louisiana.

by ERSisk @, Sunday, May 08, 2016, 00:19 (3060 days ago) @ MR

Working outside around the house, it's a Stainless Bearcat for 'Snakes and Such' that's always in a pocket. A trip to Wally World late at night, it's a Para Ordinance P-12 for 'Snakes and Such". Walking in the woods, scouting, with the possibility of a feral hog encounter, its a Taurus Titanium Tracker 4" .41 mag. Paddling around in the canoe, a Taurus Titanium Tracker 2 1/2" .44 special. Out on the town with 'Miss Becky' an SP101 .357 for 'Snakes and Such' in a front pocket holster. Of course all the above are subject to change at a moments notice depending on the situation. Like packing the 30 Carbine Blackhawk that's perfect for shooting Nutria from the front of a friends boat. Or "Just Cause" I felt like dropping a Bond Arms Snake Slayer into a front pocket for 'Snakes and Such' to pick up a loaf of bread, a pint of ice cream and a Cherry pie. The PPP is elusive my'n most likely won't be the same as your'n.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, May 08, 2016, 13:32 (3060 days ago) @ MR

Hard to beat a4" k frame for a good packing pistol. There's not a whole lot. .357 won't do in the normal course of a man's life.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I couldn't agree more.

by woody, Sunday, May 08, 2016, 16:18 (3060 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I could live with just a .357 the rest of my life. From small game, two legged problems, whitetails and varmints. It will cover it all.

I showed up to help my uncle in elk camp. 4 of us drove

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, May 08, 2016, 20:16 (3059 days ago) @ Slow Hand

up separately... no communication about side arms, just optics... We all had 4" M66s...ideal for Northern AZ all around outdoors use. I gave my dad my 66... the 6" 19 at the top was purchased used by me, in 1982...

[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Nice. I would have messed it up with my 44. NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Sunday, May 08, 2016, 20:47 (3059 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

-

Nice. I would have messed it up with my 44. NT

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, May 09, 2016, 09:45 (3059 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

story I remember from an old magazine...

by bj @, Wednesday, May 11, 2016, 19:25 (3057 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

From memory I'll try to relate the general gist of the story-
So the hunter, Bob Milek I think, is hunting with a scoped contender, and carrying a lightly loaded .357 revolver as a backup sidearm. He gets treed by a bear and can't do much about it with the contender due to the scope vs. short range. And his sidearm is too lightly loaded to be any help. So the lesson is to bring a sidearm that is equal to the heaviest task it might be put to, and that will naturally vary depending on the geography and other circumstances.

RSS Feed of thread