Update on my IWB issues....

by Otony, Thursday, May 05, 2016, 21:20 (3063 days ago)
edited by Otony, Thursday, May 05, 2016, 21:23

.......I probably was none too clear below, but my issues were specifically about carrying a large wheel gun in what has turned out to be a somewhat marginally designed holster. I was using said combination way up in the mountains while we were hunting for morels, thinking it would provide a better degree of protection for my revolver, as well as being a little less obvious to other hikers.

Those of you who suggested a "flat" gun know whereof you speak, and for me at least that is completely true. It was the round, roly-poly single action that gave me fits, much of which could have been alleviated with a better holster. The IWB that I was using has but a single belt loop, and the holster was free to rotate far too easily.

The fix is simple, if I'm going to carry inside my pants it will be a Browning or a 1911. If I'm going to carry a revolver, it will be on my belt , either in the wind or concealed as need arises.

I also went a further step, and ordered one of Rob's double thickness gun belts. I have a very nice, heavy duty, sharkskin belt that still fits okay, but I wanted something with a wider range of adjustment. I've mostly been lazy and muddled through these last few years with Instructor belts from The Wilderness, simply because of the ease of fitting it to my flexible waistline.

Even with the reinforced versions from The Wilderness, there is too much flex for heavier handguns. A premium belt from Simply Rugged will fix that in short order. I went another step further and ordered a heavy set of leather suspenders from Amazon (late night shopping is a significant addiction for me). I've used regular suspenders in the past to discretely assist with the load of guns, magazines, knives, etc. and figure a heavy duty set would be perfect for field use. That it will make me look like even more of an old fart matters not a whit.

I have had GREAT success in the past toting revolvers using a 3" wide canvas cartridge belt, but as comfortable as that is, it is far from discrete. 95% of the time here in the PNW open carry in the field doesn't matter, at least on The Wet Side, but I reckon my new rig will be just as comfortable and a lot less noticeable.

Otony

I have a Mernickle IWB for the SA and I have to be in

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, May 05, 2016, 21:29 (3063 days ago) @ Otony

the right frame of mind to carry in that. It is NOT an all day carry for me. Maybe if I was skinnier.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Big Six, Friday, May 06, 2016, 12:50 (3062 days ago) @ Otony

I tried my old holster from Rob last night because of recent posts.

It is still the "perfect holster" (if I wasn't challenged I would show you a pic).

Good luck getting one like it (Rob is hard headed)... it has 2 heavy sewn loops and needs to be worn at 4:00 on your cheek rather than on your hip bone. It comfortably carries a Blackhawk.

I love those revolvers, especially single actions, but they are considerably thicker than the flat guns.

I too use the flat guns when attire/situation requires it.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, May 08, 2016, 13:36 (3060 days ago) @ Otony

I have an old Bianchi Pistol Pocket that carries my 3" Model 65 Smoth pretty well. It's a bit thinner than most SA's though.

I made a copy of an Askins Avenger for a 4 3/4" SAA. It's not pretty but it carries nice. I believe Mike Barranti makes a similar model.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Update on my IWB issues....The only thing about the pistol

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, May 08, 2016, 20:02 (3060 days ago) @ Slow Hand

pocket that I don't like is that it does not work well for me if the belt loops are in a position such that they force the holster out of the best position. It is not flexible in that way.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread