I have been carrying IWB for the last two days.......

by Otony, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 17:23 (3065 days ago)

......and can safely say it ain't for me. The same .44 Special Ruger Sheriffs Model that rides so nicely in one of Rob's pancakes becomes a miserable backache from he!! in my Ted Blocker IWB.

Such was not the case a few years ago. I haven't put on weight (just the opposite). Getting lots of exercise. So, any suggestions?

Skinny guys like Pettet need not reply! :-D

Otony

That's what flat guns are for.

by cas, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 17:43 (3065 days ago) @ Otony

Ugly light plastic ones you can sweat all over.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 18:00 (3065 days ago) @ Otony

I hate IWB, I carry OWB with an DX 9 subcompact (usually) or apx with DXs 9. I always wear a shirt with tail out or a suit (Church). Sometimes a 380 in the right pocket.

I always carry OWB just back of my hip, or.......

by Otony, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 20:14 (3064 days ago) @ Otony

.......right on my hip. Inevitably it is with one of Rob's pancakes, although I occasionally use a Shaddo holster from South Africa. Backup is a pocket holster.

In the shop, I open carry, otherwise I have a light shirt, vest, or jacket, depending on weather.

We hiked in the Blues yesterday, hunting morels, and I figured the IWB would be handy and protect the gun a bit more. Wasn't trying to conceal, but my goodness (of which there is not very much, btw) that d@mn thing was digging in and shifting around at every opportunity. It is a single loop variety, I wonder if two loops would make a significant difference? Doesn't matter, I'm flapjacking it from here on out.

Otony

I have not carried IWB other than flat guns.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 20:43 (3064 days ago) @ Otony

I have a couple combinations which I find very comfortable. Para WartHog and Ruger LC9s both in S-R shucks with Inside-Out Loops. Both are a joy to carry.

All of the round guns to date have been carried OWB.

Sorry, no real help now that I look at it.

Sa's are not the best choice for IWB, though many folks

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 20:52 (3064 days ago) @ Otony

do it, quite comfortably... I know you have a flatter pistol than that! Just ask, I will get something rolling, gratis.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Naw, you already made me one!

by Otony, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 21:51 (3064 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

It is meant for a 1911, but works a treat with my Hi-Power as well.

I should have been more clear, it is the SA revolver combined with a single loop holster that is the issue. The combination is bad juju.....for me.

Next time I won't use that particular holster, simple as that.

Otony, who thanks you yet once again for your generosity.

SP 101 2" 357

by cr., Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 21:03 (3064 days ago) @ Otony

IWB Hume leather. Don't even know it's there. Same rig also rides in front pocket of Carharts without problem.

Or a Charter Bulldog in one of Rob's IWB holsters

by mcassill, Saturday, May 07, 2016, 06:47 (3061 days ago) @ cr.

Carried that IWB for years

by Big Six, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 21:40 (3064 days ago) @ Otony

The first "custom" holster I ever used was (is) an IWB double loop Rob made for me years ago. I told him it was the perfect holster.

He made it with sewn loops as per my request and I have worn it for many years.

It was designed to carry a Ruger Blackhawk and has comfortably... always.

A good heavy belt is a must.

I wear it at 4:00 (approx) and it just gets better with age.

I am 5'10" and weigh 200 Lbs.

Don't give up on it.

get a single stack flat gun...

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 22:14 (3064 days ago) @ Otony

Nm

by Catoosa, Thursday, May 05, 2016, 21:10 (3062 days ago) @ Otony

I have not had much luck carrying revolvers IWB. They just ain't shaped right to fit in here with all 215 pounds of me. The two most comfortable IWB guns I have found are the Browning High Power (for a full-sized service gun) and the little Star BM compact 9mm that's stuck in my waistband right now (appendix carry in a Galco RG218). Either is good for all day carry. The BHP seems to be designed to be carried stuck in a waistband - the slender slide and wider butt just naturally keep it in place. Mine usually rides in a Blackhawk CQC 01, but a pancake with inside/out straps works well too.

Honorable mention has to go to a Colt Commander, of course - especially the alloy-framed version.

I still love round guns, but IWB is where the flat ones really shine.

RSS Feed of thread