Scattergun Madness...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 23:31 (3071 days ago)

I picked up the 1969 Browning A-5 Light 12 mid April; hadn't shot one in 40 years and I'd forgotten what a great shotgun they are. It fits like it was built for me, it is perfectly balanced and fast in the hands. With field loads, this shotgun it kicks so little it does not need a pad.

Youngest son and I ran through a box of clays with the Browning ASAP. I was calling for birds with the gun at high port, safety on, and shooting when the bead caught the bird. Think I missed one of 35 or so and usually, there wasn't a dime sized piece that hit the ground. I'm not a great wingshot but this gun is a natural hitter for me.

[image]

Then an old beater 311A Stevens chased me home. I tripped over this at a rural pwn shop last Friday. They wanted $150 OTD. I did take it out back and shoot it, patterns a bit low and loose for its 30" barrels, but the bores had light rust and may be shredding shot cups. I figured if it was still there Monday I was supposed to rescue it.

[image]

Well, it was still there. I had dropped a set of micrometers in my back pocket and pulled the barrels off to check the chokes. The left barrel came in at a tight full and the right one fell between modified and improved. Hmm... the left barrel was always the more open choke on these guns. Also when I popped the forend off, the ejector activator came loose from the forend metal and skittered across the floor. The screw that holds it to the forend metal had broken off. It is captured by the hinge pin so I replaced it carefully, bringing the extractors back to life.

My pal who works there was looking all sheepish and I said "Guys, this is a hunnerd dollar shotgun at best. I don't know what you have in it but I'll go a hundred and throw in seven boxes of 20 gauge field loads (which we have no shotgun for and I miraculously had in the truck today) so you make a buck on it" The opposition huddled, the deal was agreed to and the old double came home today.

I took ten clay birds out to the thrower and powdered nine of them, alternating barrels. Short stocked old bastard kicks like a mule and a good pad is getting ordered while I de-crud the action, polish/reblue the barrels and (after the pad arrives) refinish the stock. For no good reason I love it.

I got most of the metal work done today, so bear with me while I post more photos. This old shotgun was made in 1949 so it had 67 years worth of crud caked in and on it. 3M fine pads and 0000 steel wool got most of it off and produced a finish appropriate for a working gun. The action got soaked in PB Blaster, douched with carb cleaner and a light coat of Rem Oil left inside. The receiver is staying as-is for the moment. FWIW, Brownell's Oxpho Blue is some good stuff for cold blue- miles ahead of Birchwood Casey. Stock work begins in a few days.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Nice job on the Stevens.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 05:03 (3071 days ago) @ Sarge
edited by Hoot, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 05:44

And, for some shells and a Benjamin, a good solid double.

Edited to add: My understanding is the stock crack is usually caused by a high spot in the wood. Setting up the crack, relieving the high spot and a little glass bed should keep it from coming back. You probably already know this. It seems to be somewhat common on many old Stevens/Savage/Springfields.

Nice job on the Stevens.

by uncowboy, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 06:10 (3071 days ago) @ Hoot

311 511 ect some of my favoriats I would pull the stock and inspect the hammers closely they are known to crack in older guns and replacements are still available, They crack where the pin goes through and keep working till they fail again and then your stuck, I have the hammer tool in stock if you need it. J.Michael

Nice job on the Stevens.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 11:31 (3071 days ago) @ uncowboy

I initially had one barrel giving light strikes but the de-crud operation seems to have cured that. Just to be safe I ordered new mainsprings, firing pins and springs. If you'd be kind enough to email me at invssgt AT gmail DOT com regarding the hammer tool, I'd appreciate it.

And thank you all.

Scattergun Madness...

by Bryan Pettet @, Nice A5. Sweet Stevens project. NT, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 07:19 (3071 days ago) @ Sarge

-

RSS Feed of thread