Cricket vs Rascal -- have loked over O/L discussions, but..

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 10:54 (3072 days ago)

they seem to be inconclusive, save for someone's personal preference. I'm leaning towards Savage. The sqwills are getting wary and marginal for sure airgun kills, now that the easy ones are gone. A CB is just as quiet as the better 'smothered' airguns. Although, Steve K. has a air/gas rig that is unholy for for quite and accuracy, and great 'backporch bunker' My layout must be werry, werry low key, and must shoot from different points, depending on the tree in question -- sorta bootlegging from point to point.

See, a Rascal can gome in at BASS pRO FOR ABOUT 150, and have a nice little Walther red dot from Steve, [or something from the box'o scopes should, I wish.]

anywayz...happy Lead Slonging.

Cricket vs Rascal -- have loked over O/L discussions, but..

by D. Sikes, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 11:24 (3072 days ago) @ John Meeker

Hey there...

I bought a Rossi combo with a .22lr carbine barrel .... when I use the Aguilla Colibra powderless rounds in it.. the only sound I get is the hammer falling... super quiet and accurate enough to hit coke cans at 50 yards... works better for me than an air gun...

or if you already have a .22lr rifle or carbine... try the Colibra rounds thru it... most will have to be loaded one round at a time ... single shot fashion...

Yup----Colibris are dandy.....have a .Rossi SS pump ---

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 12:28 (3072 days ago) @ D. Sikes

longish bbl -- very quite, but a bit awkward to load. thinking about, IRC that this subject got a good overhaul on board, some time ago. The new little Savage seemed to be quite popular for these type missions, ;~`) I have some English CBs that are almost soundless, but replacing them is a bit more difficult to do, than running over Big gun box and getting more CB's/CB-longs.

Yiur point is well taken that any well sighted 22 will do the job -- I've just got a cravin', since then, and now is agood time [excuse] to justify the Budgetary Outlay for Home and Hearth.

Both those rifles are too small for me to be able to shoot..

by JD, Western Washington, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 15:51 (3072 days ago) @ John Meeker

If you are looking for something for yourself, you may find them just too small to be able to shoot, I know that I do. Can't even get my head down on the stock, and the stocks are so short that I'd be better off trying to shoot one as a pistol. The smallest of the "child" guns that works for me is a CZ Scout.....

Hey man, you should see my shoot that pink Cricket...

by Bryan Pettet @, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 16:08 (3072 days ago) @ JD

I can hit with it. Better be able to is what I always say to myself.

Neither... T/C Contender Carbine. NT.

by ~JM~, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 16:45 (3072 days ago) @ John Meeker

X

Winchester 67

by MR, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 16:50 (3072 days ago) @ ~JM~

You can still pick them up at comparatively reasonable prices.

Neither... T/C Contender Carbine. NT.

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 09:20 (3071 days ago) @ ~JM~

Full-size quality goods are never amiss. The versatile TC group woul;d be welcome in any sensibible person's armory. In this case, it is a matter of 'size' -- 'bootlegging' in small town situation. That parameter is the leading requirement.

Cricket vs Rascal --

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 18:07 (3072 days ago) @ John Meeker

Just from a "keyboard commando" perspective, what I've read about them points favorably towards the Rascal over the Cricket in some respects and to the Cricket over the Rascal in others.

The Cricket requires a separate cocking operation after inserting the cartridge. This is good or bad depending on your use. Some folks really like a manually cocking rifle in the hands of a youngster, especially as they learn muzzle control and may not yet have the manual strength or dexterity to cock it themselves.

The Rascal allows you to drop a cartridge in the trough and push it home. The Cricket requires you to manually insert at least the tip of the cartridge into the chamber before sliding the bolt home. That can be problematic for large fingers or young fingers that are still learning dexterity or arthritic fingers that have lost their dexterity.

The peep on the Rascal gets better reviews from the folks I've read reviews from.

The bolt on the Cricket does not stay closed when carried on a sling. That's an issue for trappers and others that plan to carry it through the woods, may not have an effect on decision making for a back door pest whapper.

Some folks are put off on the short length of pull. On a cutoff 22 that has never been an issue for me. Resting it against my collar bone instead of in the shoulder pocket allows decent control and stability - and the negligible recoil poses no threat to aforementioned collar bone.

I, for one, am curious as to what you end up doing - especially any feedback you can give us on which ever (or both) you end up with. :-D

I got a Winchester 47 for my Colibri shooter. FUN!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 18:10 (3072 days ago) @ John Meeker

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Little 'pop'............thunk...

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Thursday, April 28, 2016, 11:17 (3070 days ago) @ Hobie

Dandy combo

I had a Remington single shot bolt action cut down

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 21:00 (3072 days ago) @ John Meeker

It cost me more but it is still even comfortable for me to shoot. I call it the Munchkin rifle since we call our son Munchkin. I cheated on the sights - dovetailing sights front and rear would have been real expensive so I got Williams sights and JB Welded them on. Much better sights!

I had a Remington single shot bolt action cut down

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 09:27 (3071 days ago) @ stonewalrus

LOL...good and inexpensive....and had I already to hand such a candidate, as other folks have written, the "custom concealment sqwill sniper' would be ar work. since I can pick up a 'ready rolled" for about 150, that's where I'm ending up. However, a stray SS Vintage bolts, underpriced somewhere, are gonna find a family armory Home, y'betcha, after reading all these advices.

Rascal, Rascal, Rascal

by ERSisk @, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 22:47 (3072 days ago) @ John Meeker

And the winner is, Rascal. Feed ramp is a BIG advantage in the loading department. Self cocking bolt I like. Accu-trigger is a huge plus. Peep is a loosen screw adjust tighten screw trial and error proposition, but once it is dialed in and tightened down your good to go. 25 yd. rested groups are 1/4" with most ammo. Stock is extremely short but I can shoot it quite well with a two hand hold and a solid cheek weld. I have the poly stocked version which is quite light but has storage space. A wood stock version would I assume have a little more substantial feel. Rascal operates like a real bolt rifle. Personally I never liked cocking knob style .22's. I played with a Henry single shot that came my way in a trade but too many issues did not keep it around long. I learned to shoot with a Remington 510 TargetMaster with a cut down stock handed down through two brothers. My first lesson was 56 years ago. Dad wrapped the 510 barrel in an old leather glove and clamped it in our farm vise that was mounted on a welded steel stand that weighed a couple hundred pounds. By wiggling the stand around he carefully aimed the 510 at a board on our stock chute by the barn about 30 yards away. Then he ran 5 rounds through the action. We walked over to the chute and dad pointed out a single hole the size of a wood pencil with the admonition that if I missed what I was shooting at, it was me not to be blamed on the gun. Dad had a 5 cent bounty on pigeons and Western Auto sold .22lr for 25 cents a box.

Pigeon bounty...now we're talking! NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Nice A5. Sweet Stevens project. NT, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 07:22 (3071 days ago) @ ERSisk

-

Rascal, Rascal, Rascal --- and the WINNUH is.........

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 09:31 (3071 days ago) @ ERSisk

The requirements all seem to be met, with the Rascal. As well, in a former discussion about the 'little gun' choices, I remember someone who scoped theirs. Not entirely necessary, but a nice option. Now, to the hunt.

What About The Romanian 22LR Bolt Action Trainers?

by ~JM~, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 23:04 (3072 days ago) @ John Meeker

Are those still available & affordable?

I see them now and again.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 04:58 (3071 days ago) @ ~JM~

Prices have climbed since I got one ($60 but that was years ago) but I don't recall what they go for these days. One shootin-son-of-a-buck though. Mine is set up with a Weaver V-22 scope and zeroed for width of backyard ranges using CB Longs and parked next to an upstairs window. You know, just in case we have a squirrel invasion or something.

They are still around...

by Brian A, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 08:20 (3071 days ago) @ ~JM~

Dunhams used to sell them for $69 a few years ago, either the 28" bbl single shot or the trim little bolt repeaters, you had your choice. I found one at a gun show for $30 that needed a firing pin once, it still worked but someone had tried to do some home gunsmithing and shortened the pin until it was unreliable. The repeaters still show up at shows pretty regularly for $150 - $200 and the single shots for $200 - $250. Most of them I have ever seen were quite accurate, though some needed a bit of work here and there.

I think any inexpensive 22 single shot bolt, falling block, or break open would do what you want. I am quite partial to longer bbls for keeping things quiet and in the city if you can keep the muzzle inside and shoot through an open window, very little can be heard outside from even a short. Don't ask how I know.

That pretty much covers it......

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Thursday, April 28, 2016, 10:39 (3070 days ago) @ Brian A

I haven't been a 'gunshow hunter' lately, so haven't been stuck with "That's It!" And, indeed a longer bbl old SS would be fine. I like 'em. In this case, much of 'work order', compact for ready concealment , weather resistant [lives in shed or attic], sights I can use...wtc By the time I'm frugal, I'm spending near as much money or mor to gussy up something. Hate to spend on a limited use item, but on the up side, by the time we're out of here my young great niece and 'others to follow" will be the users, as a beginners gun.

Yup, the cahse is part of the gun-fun, and now I just locating the objective. This question has been great fun, and entertaining, so at some point I'll post the outcome. Thanks so much for info and entertainment, from all concerned. And, there's that Ruger lil .22 Peestol hanging in my back brain, now!

Romanian's ......had one, and indeed, it met these

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 09:14 (3071 days ago) @ ~JM~

requirements, save 'compact'. It is now in the hands of my nephew in law, Steve, for his family training. As I will note in an addendum, I need a small-very small rifle to 'bootleg' into my sniper hids. Niegnbors, y'see, in a small ton...whofeed sqwills. Nice folks, but don't have clue as to how destructive they are to old buildings. This renovated Country Store we live in, has more varmint entries than solid barriers, I swear...every year the varmints find new ones, in the jumble pile of add-ons and assorted timber frames, and rock foundations. Aoooooo....it's a snaky foot game, this hunt

Killin' sqwills...

by Byron, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 09:49 (3071 days ago) @ John Meeker

I am unsure if you just want to shoot the "sqwills" to have something to shoot at or need to get rid of them because they are tearing up your house.

If you just want to get rid of them a mix of peanut butter and ground up Alka Seltzer will kill them dead very quickly.

Google it.

Byron

Killin' sqwills...

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 10:01 (3071 days ago) @ Byron

Weeelll.......I DO like The Clandestine Factor, and hanging another Sq-Tail out to dry. Beside, I want a Baby Gun, anyway. But, I'm trying your stuff out. I have a few places I can hang a can of it, and 'solve it'. Have dogs, smart dogs, so it'll have to be high and secure. As well, now I HAVE to get that Reacal, JIC any PB wounded squirrels charge me, while carpentering this summer;s 'needfuls'. Of course, we could start a new discussion on the Best CCW Squirrel Stopper.

CCW SQ Stopper

by ~JM~, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 10:33 (3071 days ago) @ John Meeker

North American Arms with CCI Snake-Shot

CCW SQ Stopper

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 13:29 (3071 days ago) @ ~JM~

For those 'surprise in the crawl space' moments.

Needs the laser sight...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 22:04 (3071 days ago) @ John Meeker

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Absolutely!!

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Thursday, April 28, 2016, 09:28 (3070 days ago) @ Hobie

tricky varmints, y'know....

Don't forget the bayonet, just in case... (nt)

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, April 30, 2016, 21:16 (3068 days ago) @ John Meeker

Bearcat / Shopkeeper w CCI CB caps, Quit enough & accurate

by ERSisk @, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 20:08 (3071 days ago) @ John Meeker

enough at snake / squirrel self defense ranges, small enough to always be in a pocket, but out of sight. Enough barrel length to have a reasonable pattern density out to maybe three or four feet if you decide to put rat shot first up in the cylinder. Me, I'm not trusting a few dozen #12's to do any more than pxss xff the snakes around here. From experience Colibri / Super Colibri will not put down a rat quick enough in every case for confirmed kills, Even point blank. A CCI CB cap with Nasti-Nose treatment will put them down with almost any solid hit.

Bearcat / Shopkeeper--------DANG!!!

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 20:24 (3071 days ago) @ ERSisk

Now the Apocryphal Craving has been flung upon me!!! CrrAAAAP!!! You resurrected a crush, I'd thot I had put away. I can see how it would be a balanced partnership, tho. It's just about OK for a right front packet. The average City Park, alone, would prob'ly put a smoothness on a new gun.

RSS Feed of thread