Handloader article, Quarter bore Single Eight

by ERSisk @, Friday, April 22, 2016, 21:29 (3076 days ago)

What think you'all? .250 Magnum, kind of a misnomer for such a small cartridge but magnum sells. Maybe call it a Two Fifty Eight Ruger Mini-Mag? I know in the last four years to conserve on my supply of .22lr I have gone through several pounds of Bulls Eye and wheel weights, 3.5gr. X 110gr. at a time. All in a little birds head Single Six .32 Mag. A six hole 1/4" gang mold and BE would make for cheap shooting. My vote would be for a little 6.5" Bisley.

Now you've got me curious...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 07:52 (3075 days ago) @ ERSisk

I've long thought that a Ruger single action in 25 acp would be a hoot to play with. What case did they use? (Don't have access to Handloader down here)

A .25 acp Bearcat Shopkeeper!! (nm)

by ERSisk @, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 12:04 (3075 days ago) @ Paul

Now you've got me curious...

by DiamondD, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 14:59 (3075 days ago) @ Paul

He didn't actually have a gun or cartridge. He is proposing a lengthened .25 ACP.

"Me suena"- as they say down here...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 20:05 (3075 days ago) @ DiamondD

I like the sound of that. A 25 ACP lengthened to near the size of the 22 WRF would be a dandy reloadable small game smacker of a cartridge.

.25 acp is .251 and semi-rimmed.

by ERSisk @, Sunday, April 24, 2016, 12:23 (3074 days ago) @ Paul

All it would take is starting with a thicker brass button and drawing the case deeper. The .25 Hornets are .257. Either way I think it would be a great small critter / target cartridge. It will be extremely economical to reload and should be quite easy shooting in the recoil and noise department. If it ever shows up as a Lipsey's special offer I am getting at least one.

by Harry O-1, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 09:17 (3075 days ago) @ ERSisk

Didn't they have a .25 caliber wildcat based on the .22 Hornet case blown straight out? I don't remember for sure, but I think it was shortened a little bit to fit K-frame length cylinders.

by bob, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 09:52 (3075 days ago) @ Harry O-1

Yup they do, the .25 Hornet, know a guy who sometimes posts here who has one and just recently popped a couple of rock chucks with it.
bob

You mean like this Bob?

by Glen, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 10:08 (3075 days ago) @ bob

You mean like this Bob?

by bob, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 16:21 (3075 days ago) @ Glen

Yup, that's be the one. Still wish I had a little lightweight falling block for the round.
bob

Like the Mini Fahrquarsen Cape Outfitters used to sell. nm

by ERSisk @, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 17:15 (3075 days ago) @ bob

Like the Mini Fahrquarsen Cape Outfitters used to sell. nm

by bob, Sunday, April 24, 2016, 10:38 (3074 days ago) @ ERSisk

Or a repro of the Stevens 44 or 44 1/2!
bob

Martini Cadet conversion? NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 18:30 (3075 days ago) @ bob

-

Or perhaps an affordable version of this?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, April 25, 2016, 12:44 (3073 days ago) @ bob

Or perhaps an affordable version of this?

by bob, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 09:17 (3072 days ago) @ Hoot

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! SHINY!!!!!!!!!
bob

small 6.5 Bisley ---- ?

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 10:22 (3075 days ago) @ ERSisk

I'm not up to date on the Models.....would that be on a .22 Frame Bisley? thanks

.32 Mag.Single Six, .327 single seven, .25 Single Eight

by ERSisk @, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 10:32 (3075 days ago) @ John Meeker

I shhot my little .32mag Birds Head so much I have passed

by ERSisk @, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 10:47 (3075 days ago) @ ERSisk

on the .327 single sevens, I would have to have a .25 Single eight, two if offered in 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrel length. Would be a pleasant little shooter in noise, recoil and cost department.

PFFAT fingers'shoot not shhot' Wonder How long it will take

by ERSisk @, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 11:05 (3075 days ago) @ ERSisk

Dillon to come up with a SDB conversion?

.22LR scarcity

by bj @, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 23:07 (3074 days ago) @ ERSisk

I understand wanting a small cartridge to use in place of .22LR. .32 and .327 seems like a good replacement for that in revolvers, and even 9mm in autoloaders. Almost anything in a rifle would work if you handload light loads with cast bullets, but the larger bores obviously require more powder and lead.

I seem to remember a story I read some time back about someone that created a .22 centerfire cartridge to use in Bullseye competition. I don't recall the details or what parent cases were used. I suppose a lengthened .25ACP cartridge could be loaded for very little cost beyond the price of primers and the cases themselves, so it would be of importance to find a reasonably cheap case to start with.

I was in the local Walmart today to pick up a few things and out of curiosity I went by the ammo case. Of course there was no .22LR ammo in there but the case was reasonably full of other ammo such as shotgun shells, 9mm, .30-30, etc. While I was staring through the glass an employee came by and asked if I needed any help. I asked him where on the shelves they put the .22 long rifle if they had any. He said they haven't gotten any in a long time and didn't know when they would ever get some again. So since they didn't expect to ever get any to sell they no longer even provided a place for it on the shelves.

I'm thinking maybe what we should be doing is scrounging empty rimfire brass and figuring out how to prime and load it.

I visited a gun shop yesterday - $60 for 500 Aguilla or CCI

by stonewalrus, Sunday, April 24, 2016, 07:48 (3074 days ago) @ bj

Only triple what I used to pay before all the craziness. You would think it would eventually slack off. I fear there will be a whole lot of ammo buying before November and there will be a shortage again. I have noticed 22 magnum is even worse than 22 LR. What is the deal with that?!? I wouldn't think there were that many 22 mag shooters out there.

There's an interesting article on rimfire shortage by Bowen

by Bryan Pettet @, Sunday, April 24, 2016, 13:02 (3074 days ago) @ stonewalrus

on his Classic Arms Journal. Essentially supply and demand with some info from industry people.

I've read a lot of different things

by bj @, Sunday, April 24, 2016, 18:35 (3074 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

I'm not sure I trust much of what I read. All I know is that there is none to be purchased at retail around here, at least not by anyone walking in off the street.

We could each come up with our own theories for this, and I have my own. It might take a concerted effort by a competent investigative organization to really figure it out.

I'm not convinced that the industry is producing all that they can produce. If there was a product in this country where you could sell all you could make, someone would be making more of it. In most industries it is the opposite, companies make the product and then exert a lot of effort to sell it. Right now it seems that Remington, Winchester, whoever, could double or triple or quadruple their production and all they would have to worry about is loading it onto trucks.

I notice in the Sunday newspaper this morning that Gander Mountain's advertisement out of the 28 firearm models that they have advertised on sale, 5 of them are rimfire. Are people really buying new firearms in .22LR knowing that they cannot buy ammo for them? (Of additional interest is the S&W Victory .22 auto that has apparently just come out. Externally it appears very similar to the Ruger .22 auto.)

Local show

by Catoosa, Monday, April 25, 2016, 09:39 (3073 days ago) @ stonewalrus

On Saturday I went to the small show they have here several times a year. Believe it or not there was quite a bit of .22 rimfire ammo and some of the prices were not bad. saw several types of ammo that I have not seen for many months, including some CCI .38/.357 shot loads that have not been available around here for a couple of years. $18 for a box of ten, but I was flat out so I bought a couple of boxes anyway.

If you want to feel pain, try finding and buying .22 WRF. It's even more expensive now than .22 Mag. Fortunately I have a pretty good supply and I don't shoot that much of it.

I visited a gun shop yesterday - $27- for 325 carton

by CJM @, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 08:57 (3072 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Federal AutoMatch. Something I hadn't seen before, it's marketed as a target load for semi-auto's but is 1200 fps velocity instead of the usual 1050 standard velocity target loads. They also had 500 round cartons of Remington 22LR for $30.

Just read the article. Emailing Lipsey's & Ruger my vote.NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Sunday, April 24, 2016, 13:58 (3074 days ago) @ ERSisk

-

Got a nice reply from Jason. They are working on it. NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Monday, April 25, 2016, 09:31 (3073 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

-

RSS Feed of thread