We need a smelting day around here...

by Bryan Pettet @, Monday, April 18, 2016, 20:02 (3080 days ago)

and I would be happy to do grunt labor for a portion of the ingots. Just saying. Or joining a bulk buy around DFW.

I'm a little frustrated by the lack of lead sources. Everywhere I've called says they give their scrap to recyclers that come by every week. I had a mechanic friend from church that said how much WW do you want? It's only $2 per lb. Gee...thanks. I can get clean ingots shipped for that price.

Mom and Pop shops will still make good deal on WW

by cr., Monday, April 18, 2016, 20:45 (3080 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

Trouble is, they are nearly all gone. Megamarts and super centers are the norm any more and they tell me they are contracted to sell back to their supplier. Only two local independents still help me out.

Fortunately I have been hoarding since Jimmy Carter days.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, April 18, 2016, 21:39 (3079 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

I can still get lead/WW from a local scrap yard at a reasonable price. I don't buy much any more because I already have a ton from years ago when it was easier to find. Smelting now days is really blending up my alloys from tin, Lino and lead.

by uncowboy, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 11:40 (3079 days ago) @ Cherokee

If you want GOOD wheel weights. Make friends with your Truck tire store. Truck wheel weights are big and yield a lot more lead to steel clips. Heavy weight fast, Buy direct cheap. J.Michael

by Big Six, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:40 (3079 days ago) @ uncowboy

People along the coast:

Old sail boats have lead on the keels... lots of lead.

Find scrapped ones and you find Pb.

Old traction elevator weights... lots of lead.... heavy by necessity.

Hug your elevator repairman.

Keel weights, a-yep.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 13:18 (3079 days ago) @ Big Six

There's a 1220# one out in the driveway. Hasn't moved an inch despite an unusually windy spring.

Plumbers, "roto-rooter" guys, cesspool/sewer guys...

by cas, Monday, April 25, 2016, 23:13 (3072 days ago) @ Hoot

This is where 95% of my lead comes from.

[image]

The city started tearing up the street at the end...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 05:03 (3072 days ago) @ cas

of my block to replace the water mains. As a member in good standing of the Neighborhood Retired Guy Inspection Team, I walk the dogs around the construction site nearly every day. A bit of friendly conversation has yielded a promise to save me whatever lead is found. Ought to be interesting.

RSS Feed of thread