No I didn't attentd a Glock armorer course, BUT I can fix

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, April 18, 2016, 10:59 (3080 days ago)
edited by Rob Leahy, Monday, April 18, 2016, 11:41

em!:-D [image]

Our church security team went through a one day course with Ed Head at Gunsite... Those grip sleeves always fail during a long string of fire...
Cold Steel XL Espada...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Rob, a 12 year old can fix any Glock problem.

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Monday, April 18, 2016, 14:59 (3080 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Just sayin' :-)

Weeelll, I'm older than 12 but haven't got this one figured.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, April 18, 2016, 15:33 (3080 days ago) @ Miles

Glock 42 .380. Home loads using Winchester primers. BANG-CLICK. Multiple times with multiple cartridges. Cartridges are feeding, just not igniting. Same box of ammo functions without a hitch in the LCP. Primers show a dent but I didn't have the presence of mind to keep any as they were all run through the other pistol.

Field strip didn't show anything amiss or, for that matter, terribly dirty. I cleaned and oiled but haven't returned to the range. The striker moves freely and protrudes what I would call adequately. Tip is a nice round radius. It will shoot a pencil 2 feet in the air...so called 'pencil test'.

We will hit the range again tomorrow. Even if it works, I am uneasy.

Weeelll, I'm older than 12 but haven't got this one figured.

by Brian A, Monday, April 18, 2016, 19:18 (3080 days ago) @ Hoot

Have you checked headspace?

Hmmm...thanks. That hadn't occurred to me.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 06:02 (3079 days ago) @ Brian A

Hmmm...thanks. That hadn't occurred to me.

by Brian A, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 10:54 (3079 days ago) @ Hoot

I would check the rounds in question, could be they are slipping past the shoulder in the chamber causing a headspace issue. Might be an oversize chamber as well, that could cause the same issue. It can be a very fine balance for a manufacturer, make a chamber large enough to accept everything on the market, but not so large as the rounds held to a tighter tolerance don't slip past the shoulder. Can be a big problem for rounds that headspace on the rim.

Yep, gotcha.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 14:08 (3079 days ago) @ Brian A

I segregated a partial box by length as measured in the barrel. All rounds stopped solid so I will assume I didn't lose my brains and over crimp. I usually put on just enough to straighten them out. It turned out to be 3 groups, about 0.006" difference high to low. I'll see if there is any correlation to group vs. CLICK.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Yep, gotcha.

by Brian A, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 19:20 (3079 days ago) @ Hoot

Looking forward to hearing a report on any potential correlation. Another thing to consider may be primer cup hardness, but my money is on that extra 6 thou.

The groups varied by roughly 0.003" per grouping.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 19:46 (3079 days ago) @ Brian A

Only one of the shortest group fired on the first hit. All of the middle and longest group fired first time. My guess would be that the Glock is at the deep end of the tolerance or maybe over. I need to do some more checking.

Now to sort through the multiple thousands of .380 in the Dungeon...

Thanks Brian!

New Glurk, right?

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 23:14 (3078 days ago) @ Hoot

Sounds like that Glock 380 needs a trip back to the service center.

Quite possibly.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 06:21 (3078 days ago) @ MS

I need to verify the short cases are within spec before facing that hurdle. If the problem is all on me, we don't need to involve Gaston.

See? You're smarter than a 12 year old!

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 20:46 (3078 days ago) @ Hoot

I knew ya had it in ya.

Thanks but...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 20:49 (3078 days ago) @ Miles

It was Brian who 'had it'. I was proceeding under the assumption that straight-walled brass would be all "nearly" the same length. Especially with the LCP digesting it all.

I do, however, appreciate the vote of confidence. :-)

I have no doubt...

by Brian A, Friday, April 22, 2016, 09:06 (3076 days ago) @ Hoot

that you would've figured it out soon enough without any input from me.

The groups varied by roughly 0.003" per grouping.

by Brian A, Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 10:29 (3078 days ago) @ Hoot

Glad I could offer some viable help, sounds like you got it all in hand now, hopefully it will not have to involve Gaston.

Should get rid of it and buy 'Mercin! Ruger LC380

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, April 18, 2016, 19:20 (3080 days ago) @ Hoot

and an LCP:-|

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

We have the LCP, almost since they came out.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 06:04 (3079 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Does the Browning 1911-380 count for 'Mur-can? ;-)

But I though Glocks were perfection...

by Jared, Monday, April 18, 2016, 19:37 (3080 days ago) @ Hoot

;-)

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Monday, April 18, 2016, 15:06 (3080 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Hey Rob , I like that knife! who made it ?:-D

by Brian A, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 10:48 (3079 days ago) @ Fivegunner

It is a Cold Steel

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 15:45 (3079 days ago) @ Brian A

Thanks Brian , I got to check Cold steel`s web site out:-D :usa:

by Brian A, Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 10:32 (3078 days ago) @ Fivegunner

You can also check out Rob's website, he is a seller of Cold Steel products and usually has some good prices. Another place to check out is Smoky Mountain Knifeworks, a pretty good company to deal with, but I would check out Rob first.

RSS Feed of thread