Air Power Source -- for those discreet exterminations

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 10:09 (3089 days ago)

http://www.airgundepot.com/

Living in a town, where 'shooty' sounds will have a patrol car cruising the vicinity -- but the SQWILLS are a real nuisance -- requires discretion in y'r choice of a culling machine. By more or less serendipity, I found just the Tickee at a local discount store -- languishing under a set of shelves in the megre Sports Section. .22, suppressed, nunderlevercocking, Nikon scope, etc... apparently mis priced at 49.00.or so.

enough brag -- it was an accidental find, but did introduce me to modern air-power.

Sooo...while there are prob'ly a bunch of similar sites, I pass this on for anyone who may need such an item. I was using CB shorts with a balloon over the BBL, but the pellet is lot lighter in the case of hitting/bouncing the projectile on some hard object in the turf.

and now...off to the Gun Shew.....Happy Weekend and Powder Smoke.

I have a Bejamin Titan in 22 - I am impressed at the power

by stonewalrus, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 11:22 (3089 days ago) @ John Meeker
edited by stonewalrus, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 11:26

Over 177. Haven't tried them in 22 pellet yet but the 177 lead BBs work in my 177 and are better penetrators than the pellets. Tried the 177 lead bbs on a full ginger ale can - looked like it had been hit with a 22! My 177 is side lever cocking and I am a lefty - the round BBs are easier for me to load too.

Airguns & Pellets...

by ~JM~, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 13:08 (3089 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I've messed around with Airguns a bit.

I've found that the Crossman Premier pellet is fairly consistent & accurate, but lacks "knock-down" power. It does kill, but usually zips right through the target & the target dies several moments later. A flat faced, wad-cutter type of profiled pellet works much better & usually anchors the target.

Some Airguns have a distinct discharge report that is louder than a 22 short or CB cap.

~JM~

Airguns & Pellets...

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 14:17 (3089 days ago) @ ~JM~

correct on that discharge -- CB's were my first choice for the Biz.....but will see if this foray raises my 'safe shot' factor.

My 22 Titan likes the Ruger flat points for some reason

by stonewalrus, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 15:38 (3089 days ago) @ ~JM~

With the 177 they wouldn't drop dead. The 22 anchors them right well. Pellet guns are as picky or more so on ammo than 22s.

Will look into them....thanks. nt

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 09:05 (3088 days ago) @ stonewalrus

x

Air Gun noise... is a problem...

by D. Sikes, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 12:48 (3088 days ago) @ John Meeker

Now with integral suppressors on the barrel, air guns are much quieter... but for a long time now I've been using the Aguila "powderless" Colibri .22's in a Rossi break onpen single shot carbine (16" youth model)... the only noise is the hammer falling and a slight "poof"... and it's accurate enough to hit a coke can at 50 yards... does the trick around my place when I don't want to frighten the chickens or when the family is asleep still... I even use them in my Colt Official Police revolver for rat patrol... no louder than a cap gun and kills mice dead... The only problem is that you still have to "find" a dealer that has the ammo or order it online... yeah.. it's a bit more expensive than pellets.. but makes my .22's much more fun to have around and shoot more often... GRIN

..Aguila "powderless" Colibri .22's...good useful item......

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 20:09 (3088 days ago) @ D. Sikes

.....air power is my choice in this case, more for a possible 'bounce factor' from something heavier/denser than a light pellet.. Part of the 'range' is a rock-edged flower bed {yeah...well, my wife collected them from the river, hauled them home, and made the wall, and filled the bed....Sooo 'habitat removal' is unlikely. Can't use poison there -- inside the fence with the Chessies. As well, the popular hang-out for the varmints include some walnut trees, which have houses back of the flight line. And....I'm...unh.."known" by my local friendly small police force, to be a bit impulsive on occasions which mattered to me. Sooooooooo...

Much as I would prefer, and normally have to-hand both powder and 'primer' only Colibri's, the little bolt action stays unloaded.....at at least at this address.

I appreciate those speaking up for the little rounds. They have served me in country and in town for those type of purposes. I regularly shoot them down at the shop, for a break, and have tested their penetrative quality in drywall.;~`) At other locales we've lived, they did the sorts of chores you describe. So, I live with the compromise...I even put a bullet trap at the back wall at the bottom of the second-story staircase, as the grade and distance are near perfect for replicating the upper windows gradient and distance-zero for the ground around the biggest and closest oak tree. It's a regular bait mine, this time of years as the bushies hunt for last years buried nuts..

Your idea of a break-open SS .22 is good idee....have to have an excuse to get another 'house-sniper' tool. Hmmmm. ;~`)

by ~JM~, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 22:15 (3087 days ago) @ John Meeker

"...And....I'm...unh.."known" by my local friendly small police force, to be a bit impulsive on occasions which mattered to me. Sooooooooo..."

Do I detect a story or two here? :stirpot:

~JM~

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Friday, April 15, 2016, 08:57 (3083 days ago) @ ~JM~

Wellllll........sometimes there are just people and actions that need to be reminded that 'poor manners and offensive actions are an offense that might be redressed in an old fashioned matter. Such situations may not comply with the current legalities protecting asshat-perps from receiving the proper response to the BS..... and sometimes, I just don't care about legalities. At this point, tho', there has been some time gone by, so I figure at 70 years old, I can just laugh, and let The Fool Killer take care of their Karmic Reward.

That is one nice thing about air gun pellets - doesn't seem

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 17:37 (3086 days ago) @ D. Sikes

To be a shortage of them. It does seem to be harder to find 22 pellets than 177 though.

RSS Feed of thread