If you were going to do a custom project this year...

by Bryan Pettet @, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 23:11 (3092 days ago)

what would it be? Maybe it's a rifle...or a shotgun...or a revolver or pistol. Maybe it's a flintlock! What is it you would build or maybe it's already in the queue at the gunsmith. Maybe you are doing a custom project yourself. What's it going to be?

I would love to get in line for one of Alan Harton's 327 conversions on a Bearcat. We will see what's possible as the backlog is extensive. Here's a good review of it on Gunblast. I'm not sure whose gun that was but it's setup so nicely.
http://www.gunblast.com/Harton-327Bearcat.htm

I do have a NM stainless Bearcat that will most likely get sent to Clements for one of his conversions to 22 mag with a fluted cylinder and various small touches. Or maybe I will pick up a Shopkeeper model and have Clements do his magic on the little birdshead grip frame.

I'm also getting an OM 357 to have Clements do a .44 special conversion on. I miss the octagon case-colored .44 conversion he did for me years ago.

Sometime in the future I might have Jack Huntington do a stainless 50 Alaskan Marlin for me. He's got some nice touches like a dovetailed mag tube. I used to shear the small mag tube screws on the last 50 AK I had. I like the tapered octagons at 18-20" with Ashley sights and a full length mag tube.

I would love to have one of Mic McPherson's little slicked up .44 carbines.

What's on your list?

by Robb Barnes, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 23:21 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

No new projects to start this year. I just want to wrap up the last 3-4 that are out there now. One will be a tribute copy of JT's Skeeter gun in 44 Special by John Gallagher. Another is a USFA light weight conversion in 45 Colt by Hamilton with the #5 base pin latch and the last is Dustins contribution to the Quest with an octagon Damascus barreled 500 Linebaugh on a Bisley Vaquero.

Nice list...

by Bryan Pettet @, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 23:49 (3091 days ago) @ Robb Barnes

I haven't seen a damascus barreled Linebaugh yet. Pricey. What's your Quest?

Robb's got some nice things all right.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 06:22 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

Robb's got a good spirit about him. He is an outstanding

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 23:04 (3091 days ago) @ Hoot

individual.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Nice list...

by Robb Barnes, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 22:18 (3088 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

Bryan, a couple of years before I sold you that batch of parts I decided I wanted to order a custom revolver from each of the top gunsmiths whose work I liked. I tried to let each person build something that they felt represents their style, tastes and skills or specialties. It is often interesting to hear their response when you as them what they would build if they could have free rein within the base gun I am supplying and my preferred caliber. Dustin's is the last one I am waiting on to get finished then that goal or quest will be complete. Granted I have strayed off path with a few custom USFA, S&W and TLA projects along the way but they were ancillary to the original goal.

Ahh, I remember that now. Very nice.

by Bryan Pettet @, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 00:22 (3084 days ago) @ Robb Barnes

Do you have photos of them? I would love to see what you've gathered. That's an impressive list and has taken a lot of time and resources. Kudos to you.

Shoot me an email if you would...

by Bryan Pettet @, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 00:25 (3084 days ago) @ Robb Barnes

I have a question about your damascus barreled project. Thanks.

by Flatlander, Friday, April 08, 2016, 21:23 (3090 days ago) @ Robb Barnes

Somewhere here is a 4-5/8" 44 barrel and an OMBH 357 bored out to 429. That would be a simple enough project ...

A 105 mm Howitzer... or a flame thrower...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 23:33 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I would build a....

by Glen, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 23:40 (3091 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

...left-handed derringer chambered for Herters .401 Powermag.

Left handed eh? NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 23:55 (3091 days ago) @ Glen

-

Yeah, I already...

by Glen, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 08:26 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

...have one for my right hand. ;-)

Boring. You already have those. NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 23:52 (3091 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

-

Have three projects in mind

by CJM @, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 23:52 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

First is would like to finally get a 500 Linebaugh with a set of BluMagnum custom grips, standard 5.5" barrel and barrel band front sight.
Then I'd like a Stainless Steel Marlin 1894 in 357 Magnum converted to 256 Win Mag with a 20" octagonal barrel and full length 10 round magazine tube.
And the last one is something I've been thinking over for a couple of decades, a 6" barrel K-frame S&W with a 7-shot cylinder in 270 REN - the 22 Hornet case blown out to straight walls and trimmed to 1.29" long. Not sure where this desire came from, but I think it would be about perfect for rabbit hunting if I mounted one of the reflex sights on it to make up for my ever slowing focusing in-ability.

The 256 carbine sounds interesting. NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 23:58 (3091 days ago) @ CJM

-

Interesting.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 06:21 (3091 days ago) @ CJM

I keep looking at the .270 REN and wondering on it. I can't figure out what it belongs in but that's just me.

The .256 is interesting for certain. I spotted a Marlin Lever-Matic in .256 at the last show. He wanted more than I was willing to pay. Of course, being currently on a buying hiatus, what I was willing to pay wasn't very much.

by Brian A, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 05:52 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

Not accepting new projects until I get a few in the queue completed. Currently have about a century long list if I worked on nothing else, so it will probably be while. I will consider this year to be a huge success if I can at least clean up my shop to the point some actual work can be done in it.

A few items on the list...

by Brian A, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 08:13 (3091 days ago) @ Brian A

Figured it was only fair to share some of the projects in my queue since several other guys shared some of theirs;
1917 Enfield, has the ears cut off, receiver profiled, new stock fitted, barreled action polished and blued, need to finish bedding action in stock, drill action for scope mounts, finish stock, polish and blue floorplate and fit to stock.
6.5 Greek Mannlicher, got it with stock and barrel cut down and action stripped with some pieces missing, need to crown barrel, polish metal and blue it, re-shape and re-finish stock, fit the new parts.
S&W Mod 14, need to install bull barrel and do an action job then polish and re-blue.
Lee Enfield, got it as a basket case, have not decided what to do with it yet
Have a few pieces around that need various repairs and/or tuning.

Then there are the vehicle projects;
'51 Willy's M-38, need to get a broken tap out of the head so it can be re-assembled after being sandblasted and re-painted,
'66 Dodge W-500, clean out fuel tanks and coat, replace cab mounts in floors, replace seals all around, re-do brakes, re-paint,
'53 REO XM-282, Complete tear down and restoration of this one of a kind prototype,
'39 Ford 9N, Complete tear down and restoration,
'62 Dodge M-37, Complete tear down and restoration,
'85 Jeep Scrambler, Complete tear down and restoration,
'52 Willy's M-38A1, Cosmetic freshening of this rust-free, but slightly banged up ex-forest fire fighting rig,
Plus a half dozen other rigs sitting here waiting attention.

Then there are the building projects;
Build a sun room on the cottage,
Build a three season room on the house,
Wire, insulate and interior finish of 3000 sq. ft. garage/shop
Install two post auto lift in the garage/shop
Build a shed for garden/yard tools and outdoor power equipment,
Organize stuff stuck in every corner of every building and deciding what to sell, what to dispose of, what to donate to charity, and what to keep.

Then there are the machine tool projects;
Refurbish Atlas/Craftsman 12" metal lathe,
Refurbish Atlas/Craftsman 6" metal lathe,
Refurbish Boyar Shultz 6"x18" surface grinder,
Re-wire shop to re-organize and re-install welding machines and make room for new tools.

Well, that is the severely abbreviated short list.

Well, that is the severely abbreviated short list...

by Bryan Pettet @, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 15:25 (3091 days ago) @ Brian A

you had me laughing at that. That is one serious list, even abbreviated. Sounds like you need tools and shop space up to speed so you can do a lot of work. Interesting list of projects.

Well, that is the severely abbreviated short list...

by Brian A, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 19:51 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

That is indeed a severely abbreviated short list of only some of the most interesting projects. Plus, I live alone and am in the process of trying to get an environmental consulting business off the ground.

I will never complain about stuff I'm behind on again!

by cr., Thursday, April 07, 2016, 21:36 (3091 days ago) @ Brian A

Much like Brian, there's too many in the queue.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 06:17 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

In progress (well, sort of):
Martini Cadet in .32 SWL, finish stock work, eventually refinish metal bits
Mauser sporter in 8x57, finish restocking

On deck:
P-14 Enfield, re-bore to .35-303

Out there a ways:
Odd .45-70 single shot, re-bore to .50-70
Lee Enfield No. 4 in .303 Brit, finish up as a 'faux' Lee-Speed
1898 Krag in .30US, restock as a sporter

Not completely decided:
M-1917 action, maybe re-barreled to 8x68S?
VZ-24 action, built to an undecided caliber, maybe .375 or .400 Whelen?
Several 3-screw, .357 Rugers destined to become something else
Siamese Mauser action, maybe to become a .50 Alaskan?

And probably a few others that slip the mind right now.

Looks like several very interesting projects...

by Brian A, Friday, April 08, 2016, 11:33 (3090 days ago) @ Hoot

I love the handling and looks of nice Krag sporters, very classy. Have always been fascinated with the Siamese Mauser conversions as well, some very interesting possibilities. Actually, they all sound like great fun.

That's a cool list...

by Bryan Pettet @, Friday, April 08, 2016, 15:41 (3090 days ago) @ Hoot

you didn't say anything about the Husky's? The Cadet is cool. It was neat to see so many at CSA.

Dig the .50-70.

.400 Whelen isn't on every corner. Neat project. Same for the Siamese .50 Alaskan. That's one super-sized action. Handled one in .50 years ago. Good stuff and eclectic.

About the only thing I would do with the Husky's....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 05:56 (3089 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

would be to get them shooting to their potential. That and buy more! ;-)

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 06:26 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

My custom plan is to take the Ruger M77 270 wcf my parents gave me as a Christmas present in 1979, and have it re-barreled to either 8 twist 6mm-06 or 8 twist 270.
Nothing extravagant, just a simple true up of the receiver and such, and a quality barrel install.

The 270 has a very loose chamber, and since I have another 270 in a Kimber Classic Select, the old Ruger gets a new tube.

by uncowboy, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 06:32 (3091 days ago) @ MS

I am doing a rim fire scout rifle. Savage MK II FV-SF threaded bbl Boyde pro varmint stock mag holder on stock Ching Sling Making a 12" Pica tiny rail for the Leupold M8 2X forward of the action. Smooth up the bolt and Trigger and a perfect trainer. Second I want to finish the 480 Ruger Frank Himshoot and I were working on when he passed ,It has been sitting long enough. J.Michael

What's the particulars on the 480 project? NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Friday, April 08, 2016, 19:16 (3090 days ago) @ uncowboy

-

Barrels...

by MR, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 09:50 (3091 days ago) @ MS

I ordered a Bartlein 5r from these guys on Friday and had it on the porch the next Tuesday. Beats a 6 month wait from the manufacturers.

http://bugholes.com/

by Brian A, Friday, April 08, 2016, 19:09 (3090 days ago) @ MS

Fast twist rifles in those calibers do sound interesting, have always wanted a fast twist 250 Savage on a short bolt or single shot action.

Dropped it off yesterday.

by MR, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 09:06 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

Nothing ooo-ahh, just a personal desire. I had a Mauser Mk X 30-06 that I put in a Bell and Carlson varmint stock, I really liked everything about it but the whippy, very skinny barrel. It went in yesterday with its brand new shinny Bartlein 5r Rem Varmint profile barrel to be a 20 inch 30-06 that won't heat up quite so fast. It ought to be an outstanding Pigger for an old guy that doesn't scamper across the prairie very well anymore.

Also have a H&R single shot youth model 7mm-08 in another shop getting cut to 15 inches then with a Yankee Hill Suppressor Mount/flash hider permanently mounted for an overall of right at 17.5 inches. Fifty rounds, Leupold 4x Scope, suppressor,and rifle (taken down) will fit in a brief case. Purpose: easy to pack rifle to always have in the truck at the ranch without worrying about hiding the case to keep it from being stolen when I'm in the metroplex. Yeah right. The real purpose: Just something I wanted to mess with. I had to go with the Yankee Hill mount and cut to 15 inches due to the first guy not knowing what he was doing with the H&R and getting baffle strikes when it was originally cut to 16 1/8 inches, and I did not want to SBR it. That's pretty much it for me this year.

That brief case project is neat.

by Bryan Pettet @, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 15:27 (3091 days ago) @ MR

I like the idea of a portable and quiet system fitting into a small bag or case.

I could have gone shorter by an inch and a half but

by MR, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 16:11 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

It will fit at 17.5 and Hodgdon lists data for a 15 inch 7mm-08 in its pistol section on the web site.

by Gary G, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 19:54 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

I think I would take one of the Browning Belgium Bolt action Safari Rifles in 30-06 or 270 and have it redone in a 35 Whelen. Have no use for one but it would be awesome to have it done and play around with it.

Have a couple in queue

by mcassill, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 19:57 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

that I have barrels for already. One is a .416 Taylor on a commercial Mauser action, other is another AR, this one in .50 Beowulf.

Have a couple in queue

by Brian A, Friday, April 08, 2016, 11:38 (3090 days ago) @ mcassill

I have gotten away from the real heavy recoiling rifles after a shoulder injury several years ago, so the 416 would be a bit much for me, but the .50 Beowulf really does look interesting. After recent changes in MI deer hunting laws allowing straight wall cartridges with a maximum length of 1.8" to be used almost anywhere in the state, an AR in that, or something similar, would be more interesting to me than a 5.56.

416 is the big bore I haven't played with much...

by Bryan Pettet @, Friday, April 08, 2016, 15:46 (3090 days ago) @ mcassill

and I've never owned one even though I have a bunch of 416 bullets. I would like to have a #1 in 416 Rigby and/or a really reliable 416 Remington bolt gun.

It would be easier to just buy a CZ in 416 Rigby

by mcassill, Friday, April 08, 2016, 17:08 (3090 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

But what's the fun in that?

Shoot, you could have shot mine in the holler.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 20:50 (3089 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

We figured out it wasn't sighted in but, hell, you could have shot it. Next time for sure.

I should have come down on your end and spent more time...

by Bryan Pettet @, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 22:19 (3089 days ago) @ Hoot

would love to get to know you better next time. If you ever get to Ft Worth let me know.

That's a real problem at these gatherings.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 07:38 (3088 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

We head home every year saying, "I should have spent more time with [fill in the blank]." Just keep showing up and you'll eventually get to talk to everyone. That's my theory anyway.

It's also quite correct to make requests when approaching the next CSA. I have found that folks are more than happy to bring along things for others to examine and shoot.

And, yes, we need to come to Texas. I have read and heard so much that I need to see it first hand. The only time I ever spent there was about 3 hours in the Dallas airport...not a fair representation at all.

Good points. Agreed and I look forward to the next. NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 09:00 (3088 days ago) @ Hoot

-

If you ever get to Dallas/Ft Worth, please let me know.

by Bryan Pettet @, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 12:30 (3088 days ago) @ Hoot

You are welcome at our place.

Thank you Bryan. Will do.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 19:35 (3088 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

We would also extend the same invitation to you. Should your travels bring you to St. Paul/Minneapolis, please be sure to let us know. We'll be here for a while. After that, you'd be welcome to wherever we land!

my problem too- not enough time

by bj @, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 16:35 (3088 days ago) @ Hoot

You can either spend time walking around and talking to friends,
or you can look for the new guns that you haven't seen before,
or you can walk around taking pictures,
or you can shoot.

There isn't time to do all of it.

sent my order about three weeks ago

by cr., Thursday, April 07, 2016, 20:24 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

357 blackhawk conversion to 44 special
Auxiliary cylinder in 44 Russian
Powers custom steel colt style grip frame
Barrel length TBD
Stabilized cherry burl stocks
CCG custom bisley style hammer with CCG OM trigger
Steel erh
Gold bar insert front sight..Bowen rear
Polished blue. Wanted case colors but alas, budget depleted

Consider deleting the extra cylinder for now?

by Bryan Pettet @, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 22:07 (3091 days ago) @ cr.

that would get you the CCs and you could add the cylinder later...next year, whatever. Nice project. I'm working up my sheet for CCG now for a .44 conversion.

pretty much "pie in the sky" for me

by bj @, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 22:40 (3091 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

1. A Ruger conversion to .475 Linebaugh would be at the top of the list.
2. I shot an AR10 in .308 at CSA and it was lots of fun. That would be an interesting project.
3. A poor man's big bore pistol would be to buy the new Ruger Bisley in .480. I would prefer a 5.5" barrel instead of 6.5" so start with this gun and make it a custom- shorten the barrel, lap out the constriction at the threads in the frame, install a new patridge front sight, then some custom grips- maybe dark wood or black micarta.
4. I've become interested in .460 Rowland. I'm not sure what the best platform for that would be.

As for projects that are more within my reach-
1. The rules in highpower rifle competition are changing, I could build a new upper for that.
2. I have a Contender barrel that deserves a new scope and mount.

pretty much "pie in the sky" for me

by DiamondD, Thursday, April 07, 2016, 23:16 (3091 days ago) @ bj

I've got a couple that I know I'll get to this year and several that I'm hoping for. The oilfield crash is taking a toll on custom work but...

1. My Ruger Gunsight Scout rifle is going to be cerakoted here shortly.
2. I have a brand new Acusport Bisley that I have wanted to send off for several years now to be converted to .500 Linebaugh, in lieu of that I plan to trade off a S&W Custom shop engraved M29 for a Ruger Bisley in .480 Ruger.
3. I have been waffling back and forth about a small game carbine barrel for my Contender G2. .357 Mag to .25-20 and I think I've finally settled on a .32 H&R Mag.
4. And last but not least I am going to send off the cylinder for my .45 Colt Mountain Gun to TK Customs and have them cut it for .45 ACP moon clips.

If I get all that done and get my new TD recurve put together this year I will be a happy man.

Dean

Who are you thinking about for the 500? NT

by Bryan Pettet @, Friday, April 08, 2016, 15:53 (3090 days ago) @ DiamondD

-

Who are you thinking about for the 500? NT

by DiamondD, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 11:42 (3088 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

Dave Clements. I'm really thinking the .480 Ruger Bisley would do everything I wanted the .500 for except be a half inch caliber.

Very true...

by Bryan Pettet @, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 12:28 (3088 days ago) @ DiamondD

the 480 is great. The only real reason to go bigger is because you want to. I have both but I've always liked the 50's.

Clements does great work. I have some things headed his way. If I did a Max conversion then I would send it to Huntington. Only he and Linebaugh are still doing them...well, Reeder is but I prefer the work of the others. I haven't checked with Forkin or Harton but Clements and Bowen are out of the Max conversion biz.

Clements has done the conversions on Sevilles

by bj @, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 16:33 (3088 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

I don't know if he would still do them or not. Donor guns for Max conversions are pricy and hard to find, and there is a philosophical question of whether you should sacrifice a highly collectible gun for the conversion. I can't find why you would need more than the standard Linebaughs except for just because.

Clements isn't doing them anymore...

by Bryan Pettet @, Sunday, April 10, 2016, 17:11 (3088 days ago) @ bj

Max conversions are just because you want to. I wouldn't use a Seville although some have.

I do like the idea of running at lower pressures in hot weather...and you can always play with a hotter load if you're feeling spicy. I enjoyed shooting them at CSA.

I just got the Bisley in 480...

by Bryan Pettet @, Friday, April 08, 2016, 15:49 (3090 days ago) @ bj

it's looking like it will be a good pistol and has 90% of the capabilities of the custom Linebaugh. I would take a close look at them.

RSS Feed of thread