For short, go rugged and handy stainless steel models....

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Saturday, April 28, 2012, 20:20 (4386 days ago) @ Byron

There are never enough good old blued and walnut traditional guns around. The current fad is for 'assault lever-actions' and ultra-shorty beeg-bore boomers. When the pendulum drifts back towards well-balanced shootability, lower muzzleblast, etc -- then that 26" bbl nice-hangin' Marlin will be all the sweeter.

Don't get me wrong, that I haven't slenderized, shortened, remodeled etc. I'm just getting to the point I sympathize with easy -goin' & 'original condition'. ;~`)

However, before taking to the hacksaw, file or gunsmith, see what recent utilitarian laminate stock/SS leverguns are out there. I just disposed of a 336XLR .30-30 that was a sweet shooter. But, if I had 'needed' a shorty blaster that was 'proof' against most mishaps, it wouldn't have broken me 'art to have cropped it, Glad I didn't, as it now belongs to a newly-made lifetime member of an old hereditary Adirondack Deer Camp. He's a very happy lad. PS. Every member of that camp is a Marlin owner and user. Kinda neat, that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread