eyes- seeing the sights

by bj @, Sunday, April 03, 2016, 22:28 (3095 days ago)

We were talking about eyes and vision, and I talked to a few people at CSA about it. I had overheard a conversation where someone said that a gremlin snuck in and made their sights fuzzy.

I had just bought a pair of low-power safety reading glasses as an experiment and let some other people try them. For people that have trouble seeing the sights, especially the front sight, these low-powered reading glasses might be helpful. These are the ones that I had to try out- Elvex RX-500C in 0.5 power. They are available in stronger powers too. You can't find weak reading glasses in normal retail stores, much less safety glasses that you could use for shooting.

For other than shooting, Elvex makes safety glasses that have bifocal lenses made into them. These might be useful for some people for working in their shop.

Elvex

by cas, Sunday, April 03, 2016, 22:44 (3095 days ago) @ bj

I just ordered two pair of bifocal shooting glasses, one clear one sunglasses, not Elvex but another brand. I don't need them for shooting but it does help at times at matches when it comes to scoring. (electronic scoring on a tablet, tough in the bright sun)

As for Elvex safety glasses, I've been wearing them for years shooting. The clear ones I wear cost about $1.75. The sunglass version around $3.50 or so? When they get a scratch I toss them and break out a new pair. I keep a variety of tints and colors in my range bag, I buy them a half dozen or more at a time.

To be totally honest, I wore them a number of years without knowing what protection if any they'd really give me. So one day I shot a pair multiple times with a 12ga at distances of only a couple yards. They were mangled but they didn't crack or let any pellets through. I tease the guys I shoot with, with their $75-$300 shooting glasses, I can't get any of them to take the shotgun challenge with their glasses. ;-)

One can go to Castco and have bifocal clear or tented

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, April 04, 2016, 13:46 (3094 days ago) @ bj

carbon lenses glasses made to your prescription...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread