Road trip 'out West'

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 07:23 (3116 days ago)

We're looking at making a two week road trip from Indiana next summer. I had a similar trip planned out when I was in college but never made it and honestly hadn't thought much on it since then! So, we are looking for suggestions on things to see. We'd like to see Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, etc. I love the old West so seeing Tombstone would be cool but not sure if we have the time. As of now we are looking at driving and staying in hotels. Might look into renting an RV and doing that instead. Anyways, list things and places to see anywhere west of MO!!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Badlands and the Black Hills

by cubrock, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 07:55 (3116 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Absolutely beautiful.

West trip......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 09:47 (3116 days ago) @ Slow Hand

A few I would want to see.....

Cody firearms museum

Devils Tower

Badlands and Black Hills (Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse)

Fort Sill Museums (western history and Artillery)

Monument Valley

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Distance.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 10:43 (3116 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Out here, the spans of time and space between destinations are quite a bit more than the Midwest. For instance, it's 248 miles across MO from STL to KC. It's 244 miles from Boise to Pocatello, and both cities are well within the borders of our state. There is also a whole bunch of nothing in between.

If I was planning it, especially with the kids in tow, I'd vote for a class C RV and just make it a wandering trip.

You're gonna need more than two weeks...

by pokynojoe, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 10:49 (3116 days ago) @ Slow Hand

If you're talking Yellowstone or Grand Canyon, pick one and spend your time there. Do you just want to visit, or do you want to experience the place?

I spent two weeks in Yellowstone itself, fly fishing and seeing stuff, and bet I just scratched the surface. My wife and I enjoy camping, so we generally stay in Forest Service campgrounds (no, we don't have an RV). These are great, almost every Nat. Park has Forest Servcie campgrounds right outside,or very close. The only Nat. Park I've camped in was Grand Canyon(other than the Smokies which I live right next to and basically have a standing reservation). Forest Service Campgrounds are inexpensive and almost always available. We stayed in a Forest Service campground in White Sands one time and we were the only ones there.

What do you enjoy? Are you a history buff? Interested in Native American? Are you a "Birder"? Do you like to fish? Interested in Geology? Fauna? Flora? There are parks that cater to a lot of these things and more.

My wife and I are interested in Native American prehistory, among other things. So we would pick a route were we visited Mesa Verde, Canyon De Chelle, Chaco Canyon and Bandillere(sic). Not all in one trip, mind you, that's too much time in a vehicle and I can't ride that long a time anymore. This is just and example of going with a theme.

If it were me, and I only had two weeks, and I'd never been, I'd go to Yellowstone, and stay there the whole time, there's a little bit of everything there. Even better, go there in winter, it's even better.

Happy trails!

Joe

I'd have to agree,

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 11:56 (3116 days ago) @ Slow Hand

it sounds like more than two weeks. There's much to see.

I kind of agree with Joe and Hoot...

by Brian A, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 12:30 (3116 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Pick a primary destination where you will explore for longer than anywhere else and try to hit a few places along the way there and back. If you had years, you would never get to experience all the west has to offer, so just have to do the best with the time you have.

Grand Canyon = north rim

by BC, L.A., for now, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 12:37 (3116 days ago) @ Slow Hand

It takes a lot longer to get there - it's several hours "out of the way" - but it's well worth it. Fewer tourists, steeper drops, better views. There is a NPS-affiilaited hotel right on the rim, with the walkout glass deck. Alternatively, you can choose a hotel/motel several miles outside the park, or camp on NFS land right next to the park.

I have hiked the canyon multiple times, and the north rim is the only way to go, these days.

PS - the NFS land is ideal for recreating with the kids for a few hours or a day. Lots of coniferous targets, etc.

Yellowstone over Grand Canyon and I was at the Grand

by stonewalrus, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 21:38 (3116 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Canyon this morning. Yellowstone not only has all of the cool geology but critters to boot. Bear in mind they are nowhere near each other. For Yellowstone I would urge you to get a guidebook. It is 100 miles by 60 miles. We spent five days there and still missed things. Plan out what you want to see.

If you are on Facebook, like the respective parks

by stonewalrus, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 21:51 (3116 days ago) @ Slow Hand

They give you information about how busy they are, etc. We were quite surprised to learn the Grand Canyon is a spring break destination. If you can, try to plan to avoid the peak times.

Road trip 'out West'

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 23:38 (3116 days ago) @ Slow Hand
edited by Warhawk, Sunday, March 13, 2016, 23:41

I've got to agree with the folks saying you should choose one area, otherwise you'll spend all your time on the road.

If it were me, I'd head for Yellowstone and go by way of the Black Hills. For your "old west" stuff, spend some time in Deadwood, then in Cody, WY. Cody is also home to the Buffalo Bill Museum, you don't want to miss that. Cody also has a nightly rodeo in the summer. Make sure you drive Bearooth Pass and visit Red Lodge, MT and Cooke City, MT on either end of the pass. If you've got any time left, visit Jackson, WY and don't miss the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. In Pinedale, WY is the museum of the mountain man, another must see for me.

Road trip 'out West'

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Monday, March 14, 2016, 19:37 (3115 days ago) @ Warhawk

Stationed in Pinedale when I was in the Air Force during the late 60's. Great country around there. Best huntig and fishing I ever had.

Art

my favorite places

by bj @, Monday, March 14, 2016, 19:28 (3115 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I like our Western scenery- Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming. My favorite trips, and not in any order-
1. Grand Canyon and southern Utah- Grand Canyon National Park, Lake Powell NRA, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, Natural Bridge National Monument, Four Corners.
2. Southwestern Colorado- Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Teluride. Lots of old mines, ghost towns, Jeep roads.
3. Moab, Utah- Canyonlands National Park, Dead Horse Point State Park, Arches National Park.
4. Yellowstone National Park, Grand Tetons National Park.

Each of these is a good week trip and each of these could be easily more than a week.

RSS Feed of thread