Plinking yesterday with the 44-40

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 07:15 (3123 days ago)

Everybody knows them old timey rounds won't go that far!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, March 07, 2016, 05:03 (3122 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Nice shooting Bob.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, March 07, 2016, 17:03 (3122 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Great shot.

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, March 07, 2016, 18:33 (3122 days ago) @ Creeker

If you watch closely you can see the arc of the vapor trail or sound waves arc over and down and you can see a black splotch appear on the left side of the steel just a split second before you hear the report. The vapor trail appears about 6 to 8 feet above the target to the right coming from the right to the left.

Everybody knows them old timey rounds won't go that far!

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, March 07, 2016, 18:36 (3122 days ago) @ Hoot

We were hitting the 500 yard gong but not enough to catch it with the video. Seems we were hitting all around it but had to contend with the wind. But you would not have stood there for sure. We went to the 500 yard mound and I was surprised to see the bullets penetrated very deep in the dirt despite the range.

Bob, I have gained HUGE respect for what "underpowered"....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, March 07, 2016, 19:01 (3122 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

slugs can do. It seems completely opposite of what some folks believe (and probably what I used to believe). Now, I wouldn't go shooting game at distant ranges but I have no doubt, when fairly hit, they would fall. Still and all, nice shooting. Wish I had a place to hone these skills.

RSS Feed of thread