Any shotgunners on board?

by Paul ⌂, Monday, February 29, 2016, 19:38 (3129 days ago)

I'm curious about J. J. Sarasqueta Viuda e Hijos - a Spanish manufacturer. I've got a lead on what may be a transferable O/U built by them at a reasonable (for here) price, but am leery of what is (to me) an unknown builder.

Not me by any means but, over on the DoubleGuns forum...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, February 29, 2016, 20:39 (3129 days ago) @ Paul

there was this very recent query => http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=436965#Post4...

If that does not help, a fairly painless registration would allow you to pose your question there. They live, eat and breathe such things.

They made good guns

by cubrock, Tuesday, March 01, 2016, 09:04 (3128 days ago) @ Hoot

Their guns ranged from lower priced user grades that were for export to US markets right up to some really high end guns with hand chiseled engraving. Don't know the price of the one in question or which grade, but if it is mechanically sound now, it should serve you well for years to come.

Not me by any means but, over on the DoubleGuns forum...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, March 01, 2016, 15:22 (3128 days ago) @ Hoot

Thanks, Hoot!

After waiting for approval my account as OK'd and profile tweaked and an inquiry launched and already folks are weighing in on the subject. Thanks for the tip!

My pleasure. Hope something comes of it.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, March 01, 2016, 20:11 (3128 days ago) @ Paul

Also, you are hereby warned: That place will do terrible things to a man's 'lust glands'. Just sayin'.

the DoubleGuns forum...

by John Meeker @, Maumee Ohio, Wednesday, March 02, 2016, 11:40 (3127 days ago) @ Paul

My first cyber-hangout.. went thru affordable goods like a potato chip swap meet.... Mostly good and well-meaning guys, but always some knowitalls.. Good luck, and hope you can land a nice piece...

by Stevens416 @, SE PA, Tuesday, March 01, 2016, 15:10 (3128 days ago) @ Paul

Paul:

There are a number of different Sarasquetas who built shotguns. Not all of them are of the same quality. Victor is generally considered to have been the best of them. I've not previously heard of J.J.

Spanish guns can be difficult. Like many other companies that build for export, they were often built to a price point. Their reputation is stained by the DIARM fiasco and a propensity for not properly hardening parts, leading to excessive wear and prompt failure.

All of that being said, the recommendation to inquire of the experts of the Doublegunshop.com BBS is an excellent one and I'd heartily encourage you to take that advice. There are several regular posters who have extensive knowledge of Spanish shotguns and would be delighted to be of assistance.

Hope this helps.

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, March 01, 2016, 15:23 (3128 days ago) @ Stevens416

Thanks! It sounds like J.J. was Victor's older brother who taught him the business. The DoubleGunShop forum is already turning out interesting replies to my inquiry.

RSS Feed of thread