Long shot...no pun intended...any Martini Cadets out there?

by Bryan Pettet, Friday, February 19, 2016, 22:51 (3139 days ago)

Some recent dialogue with Roger and Jared got me to thinking again about the Martini Cadets in .310 caliber. These were the BSA training rifles made for Australia. I wanted one about 20 years ago and now I'm on the hunt again.

I've seen a few on GB but I'm still looking. I don't want one that's been rechambered to 32-20, etc. I'm looking for one that isn't modified or rechambered. Thanks.

I get it, I like 'em, too. They are bringing very good

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 08:33 (3138 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

(for the seller) prices nowadays. We have not had one through the shop in the 9 years I've been there, not even for repair or cleaning.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I was a little surprised at the current pricing...

by Bryan Pettet, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 09:34 (3138 days ago) @ Hobie

they used to be fairly cheap. Now they run to 1k and beyond. The problem is that so many of them were rechambered. I'm looking for an original one.

I have one. Every time I price them on Gunbroker....

by cas, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 11:45 (3138 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

...when I get a case of the "What haven't I used in a while that I should maybe sell"s, they seem to be priced right around, or at least not much more than what I paid. Which is the reason I don't think too seriously about selling. If I thought I could get $1k for it, it would probably be gone pretty quick. lol

[image]

FWIW.... a rechamber isn't all that bad.

by cas, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 12:00 (3138 days ago) @ cas

No, you won't be able to shoot factory .32-20 in it and expect any accuracy. The bore can range from .312 up through .323? (or is it .332? I don't remember.) Mine is .318-.319" So you're going to be casting funny heel based outside lubed bullets and sizing them to an odd size and loading them in reformed brass, with incorrect make-due dies anyway....

I use Buffalo Arms reformed .32-20 brass (thinned rim and cut down). RCBS mold, Lee push through size die.
A universal de-prime die, neck size with a .32H&R die, and crimp with a modified Lee factory crimp die.
Lube by hand, then coat the the bullet with Rooster Jacket.

It would be a lot easier to neck a .32-20 case up to .30-whatever and stick in a normal bullet. :-)

I know, I know.... I didn't want that either. lmao

Like my paper patching, it was learning an art and science. Lots of work that was fun and I was proud of it. Then one day it wasn't fun, it was just work and no wonder I don't shoot this or that gun much anymore. :-D

It was almost a year ago but...

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 19:06 (3138 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

My buddy Greg at Trail Creek Trade in St. Ann, MO (St. Louis area) had one the last time I was in there. I can't remember the price, but it couldn't hurt to call.

(314) 739-0399

Thx. I will check. NT

by Bryan Pettet, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 19:39 (3138 days ago) @ Andrew

-

Long shot...no pun intended...any Martini Cadets out there?

by Roger Cox, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 20:21 (3138 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

Did you join the Martini Henry page on Facebook? There is one for sale right now.

Jared added me but waiting on admin approval....

by Bryan Pettet, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 20:37 (3138 days ago) @ Roger Cox

he also asked some questions for me to the seller. We will see.

Thx for the heads up.

Hey Roger!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 21:41 (3138 days ago) @ Roger Cox

Good to see you here'bouts.

You are welcome.

by Roger Cox, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 23:09 (3138 days ago) @ Hoot

n/t

Not what you want nor for sale...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, February 21, 2016, 20:46 (3137 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

I just picked up my Martini from the 'smith. I was having him install a front globe sight. It's a work in progress for sure but we're having a ball with it.

Rebarreled to .32 S&W Long. Fitted with a Parker Hale rear aperture and (now) a Lyman globe front. The wood needs stripping and finish and the forearm needs to be shortened and recontoured. Then the wood bits bedded.

Loaded with 77gr lead RN meant for the .32ACP, it's like a cap gun going off. Giggles abound. With 100gr SWC's it looks to be a solid bunnygun.

I'll try and snap some pics and post later on.

would love to see it - NT

by Bryan Pettet, Sunday, February 21, 2016, 23:44 (3137 days ago) @ Hoot

-

Not what you want nor for sale...

by Jared, Wednesday, February 24, 2016, 23:18 (3134 days ago) @ Hoot

That sounds like a fun one. I hope to see it at CSA one year.

I have really considered having one built in .32 mag or .327, then it could be used with pretty much any load. From ACP to magnum.

I had some brass that was split for my Cadet so Ended up just cutting them down fairly short and settled on .8 gr of Red dot. It is one of those loads that goes click........thud. It is quite fun to shoot.

Have a line on a nice one...

by Bryan Pettet, Wednesday, February 24, 2016, 08:31 (3134 days ago) @ Bryan Pettet

mint bore, original chambering, no mods, fair price, brass & bullets. Thanks Jared and Roger.

RSS Feed of thread