Can't get off this 45 ACP reloading

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, February 19, 2016, 12:17 (3139 days ago)

OK, Sounds like I need a seperate crimping die for the ACP. I have the Lee Factory Crimp die for all of my revolver cartridges. I need to know if this die for the ACP would be better then say a Hornady or other outfit that makes just a taper crimp die. Any one better then the other? After this I will put this subject to rest.

Art

P.S. Glad to know that the holster maker (Rob) considers the 41 Mag as the best revolver cartridge:-D

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, February 19, 2016, 12:34 (3139 days ago) @ Art

A separate taper crimp die is more commonly recommended...all mine are separate TC dies. I am not a fan of the Lee FCD for pistol rounds using cast bullets because they have a tendency to resize the bullet (smaller) which can/frequently lead to leading. Some people have taken the FCD and removed the carbide ring that sizes the loaded round, leaving only the taper crimp function in the die; not sure how hard that is to do. My TC dies are RCBS, Dillon, Lyman IIRC. The function of the TC die is to remove the bell put on the case for bullet seating purposes; it is not intended to actually crimp the case mouth into the bullet like for revolver cartridges. For pistol rounds, it is the case neck tension that holds the bullet in place, not the crimp. You may know all this...but just in case you don't.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, February 19, 2016, 13:15 (3139 days ago) @ Cherokee

I did not know the diffrence. Thanks for the info.

Art

by uncowboy, Friday, February 19, 2016, 13:25 (3139 days ago) @ Art

if you are loading on a Dillon the lee die may be short. Not to say it can't be used just problematic.

45 ACP reloading.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, February 19, 2016, 14:47 (3139 days ago) @ Art

One other point, I don't believe anyone has mentioned......the 45 acp headspaces on the cartridge mouth, unlike a revolver cartridge that uses the rim. So a proper taper crimp is very important, if you crimp the 45 acp like a revolver cartridge it will cause misfires due to the loaded round being pushed forward upon firing pin strike.

I have always found it better to seat and crimp in separate steps, allows more control on crimping and more accurate seating depth.

Gunner

ps
Rob Leahy is 100% correct the 41 Mag is awesome, everyone should own several : )

[image]

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Well, I do agree w/you Gunner... a seperate

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, February 19, 2016, 16:28 (3139 days ago) @ Gunner

taper crimp is a great idea for the 45 ACP...:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Jared, Friday, February 19, 2016, 18:38 (3139 days ago) @ Art

I have both the Factory Crimp and Taper crimp die. As was said with cast bullets the taper crimp is a better choice.

The FCD works great but can size the bullets smaller than you want.

Calling your bluff....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, February 19, 2016, 20:32 (3139 days ago) @ Gunner

one of those is a .41 Special!

Also, missing the Marlin. Just sayin'. ;-)

Got me....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 07:21 (3138 days ago) @ Hoot

Yep, there is a 41 Spl in the pic, but hey it is a pretty awesome gun in it's own right and is 41 cal : )

I don't believe I have a pic of the Marlin, somewhere is a pic of the scope mounting setup I have on it but no full length pic.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Yeah, that's a sweetheart all right.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 13:16 (3138 days ago) @ Gunner

I have to have one built one day. Got a donor. Got 5-600 pieces of brass. Just missing that one little piece...

Gunner is the Black Hole of all things 41. Just saying.

by Bryan Pettet, Wednesday, February 24, 2016, 08:47 (3134 days ago) @ Gunner

:-P

RSS Feed of thread