45ACP Loading

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 16:06 (3141 days ago)

Thanks for all the replys. The usual good info you get here. I started with Hoenady American dies and they went back to the store the next day. Would not keep their adjustment. No locking rings and not relieved like the Lee dies for the O rings. Plus the shell holder that came with them was too big to fit in my hand RCBS primer tool. Like Mr. Taffin says "Cheap is too expensive". Purchased a set of RCBS dies for $20.00 more and they seem to work well. Will keep the Dillon ones in mind. My 45 ACP is a Sig 220 and have just one range visit with it so far.

Thanks again

Art

45ACP Loading

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 16:38 (3141 days ago) @ Art

No experience with the Hornady "American" dies. Have used other Hornady, RCBS, Foster and Lyman dies without problems. If loading cast bullets, remember to bell the case mouth so they seat without shaving lead, then taper crimp to about .470" Don't forget the "plunk" test before you load many.

I would think Hornady would be good quality

by bj @, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 19:12 (3141 days ago) @ Art

You can buy lock rings separately to work with whatever dies you already have. I have used Lee dies and they seem like reasonable quality but their lock rings don't lock either so I replaced them.
If your new set didn't come with a taper crimp then that should be your next purchase.
Otherwise loading .45ACP is fairly easy but nowadays if you use range pickup brass you have to separate out the ones that use small primers.

Hey Art...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 20:15 (3141 days ago) @ Art

I'd be happy to send you all of my small primer .45's just to frustrate you. No problem at all and it would help me out immensely. ;-)

Seriously though, the .45 is pretty easy to load for overall. I've had a number of issues here and there; mostly related to seating depth or brass quality (throw all "A-MERC" brass as far into the weeds as you can). One thing that helped me with reliable feeding was the Lee Factory Crimp die. Perhaps it's my preceding techniques but I would occasionally get a loaded case which would not feed...perhaps 1 in 50 to 75 or so. Plays hell on your concentration in a match. I backed out my seating die so it would not crimp at all and added the step of the FCD and have had no problems since.

Enjoy and holler back if you need any help.

BJ, I ended up haveing to duct tape the cheesy clip on

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 08:57 (3140 days ago) @ bj

my 44mag and 45 ACP Hornady dies in place... Not impressed... My first 1950s set of of RCBS turn out better ammo and Redding, Current RCBS, Lee and DILLON all do better... DILLON being my favorite in all calibers, Just my experience and opinion...I am still mystified at why Hornady turned out such dreck...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

BJ, I ended up haveing to duct tape the cheesy clip on

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 11:13 (3140 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I agree. Have been using RCBS for many years and also have Lee for my 45 Colt. You would think that Hornady would be at least as good. I will get a Lee crimping die for the ACP. Have the Lee crimp die for all my other calibers. Especialy for the perfect 41 Mag Caliber :-D

Art

!!! bah humbug!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 15:01 (3140 days ago) @ Art

:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I have one set of Hornady dies.

by Jared, Friday, February 19, 2016, 09:13 (3139 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

They are for my .500 linebaugh. I would have bought another brand if I could have found them. The clip that holds the belling die was way too long on mine and it messed up some of my brass before I figured out what was happening, it would occasionally nick the case mouth going into the die and that would eventually lead to the case splitting. .500 linebaugh cases are not cheap and there is no reason to reduce the life of them with something like that, I shortened the clip and added a bevel on the bottom to keep the case mouth from catching.

For most stuff I am totally satisfied with Lee or RCBS dies .

RSS Feed of thread