Reloading 45 ACP

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 19:39 (3142 days ago)

I have just started reloading the A.C.P. No problems at all. Just read in a gun magazine about using small pistol primers. I have been using large ones. What do you all use? Am I wrong in using the large primers.

Art

Reloading 45 ACP

by Gary G, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 19:48 (3142 days ago) @ Art

large

Reloading 45 ACP

by SIXGUNNER, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 20:15 (3142 days ago) @ Art

SMALL ONLY FIT CASES CUT FOR SMALL PRIMERS.

Reloading 45 ACP

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 20:31 (3142 days ago) @ Art

You will find 45 ACP brass with both large & small primer pockets so small will fall from a large pocket & large won't fit in a small pocket.

Reloading 45 ACP

by Fowler, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 21:50 (3142 days ago) @ Art

Almost all 45acp brass is for large primer, when I stumble on a small primered cases I just toss them in the trash.

If you are using mixed fired brass, you will have to cull

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 22:42 (3142 days ago) @ Art

the primer stuff out as you go... I save mine up SOMEDAY, I may need them... Herters, Blazer brass, some Federal Some Winchester Some Fiochi is small primer pockets... Irritating...But the 45 ACP is fun and easy to load for.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Reloading 45 ACP

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 06:41 (3141 days ago) @ Art

Thanks to all!!!

Reloading 45 ACP

by uncowboy, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 08:12 (3141 days ago) @ Art

If you are new to the 45ACP I highly recommend buying a taper crimp die and not using a roll crimp. J.Michael

Dillon Dies are the best for that... results in a JMB style

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 10:31 (3141 days ago) @ uncowboy

perfectly tapered case wasp waist...

--

Reloading 45 ACP

by Charles, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 14:31 (3141 days ago) @ Art

I have been reloading the 45 ACP for well over 50 years now with no problems. I have always used the LP cases, seeing very few SP cases in my part of the world. Ed Harris has done some rather extensive testing on the two different sized primer cases and his results show a slight accuracy edge with the SP cases. But, I still am not going to hunt some up.

I would agree that a taper crimp die is almost a necessity for the 45 ACP case.

and if you buy Dillon dies

by bj @, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 19:18 (3141 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

go ahead and buy extra lock rings at the same time.
Some brands have lock rings with a setscrew or something similar. Dillon dies are made to use in Dillon toolheads so they just come with a plain nut, nothing to hold it in place. With a Dillon toolhead you put the die in the toolhead and tighten down the lock nut, the dies aren't taken in and out frequently. You can replace with a lock ring from another brand, or you can buy additional Dillon lock rings and lock 2 of them together on the die in the right spot.

I don't know when it started

by bj @, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 19:21 (3141 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

but some .45ACP cartridges come with small pistol primers. Until you get experienced looking at a lot of cases, look carefully at them to tell the difference. Nothing worse than to have a case with small primer pocket mixed in with the others. You will NOT get a large primer to go in there and it will throw a serious obstacle in your loading process.

yep...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 09:51 (3140 days ago) @ bj

;-)

--

RSS Feed of thread