When did S&W approve .38 Spl +P ammo in the K-frame?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, January 23, 2016, 13:24 (3166 days ago)

Dad has a 2" 5-screw model. Wrap-around grips hid the s/n from sight but it can be provided if needed. I believe all numbered models (M-10, M-15 etc.) could be shot with +P but am unsure of this one.

Thanks!

My understanding is when they switched to model numbers

by JD, Western Washington, Saturday, January 23, 2016, 14:04 (3166 days ago) @ Hoot
edited by JD, Saturday, January 23, 2016, 14:13

Essentially when they went from 4 screws to 3 screw. A 5 screw model would not have been rated for +P ammo. That doesn't mean a few rounds of +P ammo will hurt it, but I wouldn't run a steady diet of stuff. ..

I wonder what they changes

by bj @, Saturday, January 23, 2016, 19:29 (3166 days ago) @ JD

Of course K-frames now will handle full .357 mag's, but not in mass quantities. I recall when they did the endurance upgrade to the N-frames to allow them to handle full .44 mags better, maybe something like this was done back then to the K-frames.

I also remember when Ruger upgraded the materials of the Redhawk to allow it to handle .454C, and I assume S&W did similar things before they produced their L-frame in .44mag.

I believe that they changed the heat treatment. ..

by JD, Western Washington, Saturday, January 23, 2016, 23:27 (3166 days ago) @ bj

Possibly the steel alloy too... Nothing like the endurance package that Smith gave the N frames.

My understanding is when they switched to model numbers

by Catoosa, Sunday, January 24, 2016, 09:24 (3165 days ago) @ JD

That's been my understanding as well. I have some 5-screw Ks, and treat them gently. HB Model 10s get the hot stuff.

Thanks fellas!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, January 24, 2016, 09:45 (3165 days ago) @ Hoot

That's what I thought as well. Dad doesn't want to beat his up and just wants to be aware with what he stokes it. He also has other Smiths for heavier duty.

Thanks again!

1957 is the year

by Charles, Sunday, January 24, 2016, 15:53 (3165 days ago) @ Hoot

Up until 1957 Smith and Wesson had no mechanical drawings of their handguns, but had a master disassembled model in a vault. If somebody needed a spec, they went to the vault and took a measurement. That changed in 1957 when drawings were produced and that was the time when they changed from model names to model numbers.

The first revolver up was the Military and Police, which became the Model 10. Other models followed as the drawing were produced and the numbers assigned.

I don't know if it was connected or not to this change, but 1957 was also the year they changed the steel/heat treatment to allow the use of higher pressure ammo and/or reduce wear with standard pressure loads.

The rule of thumb is if a revolver was made in 1957 and after, it is OK with +P ammo. The old M & P long action DA Smiths are wonderful pistols but will wear pretty quick with +P ammo. Parts for these are getting quite hard to find, so I treat mine with kid gloves, loading 3/Bullseye over 150 - 160 grain bullets.

Thank you Charles.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, January 24, 2016, 20:01 (3165 days ago) @ Charles

Dad has no intentions to hot rod...rather he just wanted to know what to slip in the cylinder.

Cheers!

RSS Feed of thread