New Ruger American Pistol

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 30, 2015, 11:35 (3190 days ago)

by uncowboy, Wednesday, December 30, 2015, 13:50 (3190 days ago) @ stonewalrus

looks like an XD with a Glock trigger

looks somewhat like a Steyr and Bersa polymer w/ Glock

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 30, 2015, 13:57 (3190 days ago) @ uncowboy

Trigger. Internals may be great but looks like a generic plastic pistol.

my first thought was it looks like a...

by rob @, Saturday, January 02, 2016, 15:45 (3187 days ago) @ uncowboy

High Point. Ugly to me but it sounds like a really tough, good gun for the price. Might make a good one to play with at the range and keep around for a spare. If it works well looks matter little though.

my first thought was Hi Point as well - looks pretty clunky

by stonewalrus, Saturday, January 02, 2016, 20:38 (3187 days ago) @ rob

Nm

Just what thw world needs...

by Drago, Wednesday, December 30, 2015, 19:35 (3190 days ago) @ stonewalrus

...another plastic pistol. :-|

It only took 20 years...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, December 30, 2015, 19:46 (3190 days ago) @ stonewalrus

for me to accept a free Glock on the condition I'd actually carry it. It took 6 months of shooting one, to the exclusion of everything else, before I hit 'autopilot' with it. The Glock is proven and has gargantuan aftermarket support. In my opinion Ruger would have to substantially undersell it, for this new American to be successful.

Fortunately for Ruger I do not represent the average American handgun buyer. Many will buy it simply because it is a Ruger and more will buy it because it is the next big thing.

I'm hanging with my old G30.

I have that niche covered (SR9) and don't see reason

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 30, 2015, 20:16 (3190 days ago) @ Sarge

For another and got mine a lot cheaper (E model). Of course I bough an M&P Compact right before the Shield came out so of course I would by the SR9 right before this came out.

I actually like the M&P Compact...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, December 30, 2015, 21:26 (3190 days ago) @ stonewalrus

better than the Shield, after trying them side by side. The Compact is a little shorter in the grip, inconsequentially bigger around, holds more rounds & takes fullsize mags.

I can't make myself like a thin auto except the LCP and then only because it's practically a shirt-pocket gun.

I may love Rugers but between my LC9 and my HP don't think I

by StoneWolf, Thursday, December 31, 2015, 06:46 (3190 days ago) @ Sarge

Need another full size 9mm

I may love Rugers but between my LC9 and my HP don't think I

by Catoosa, Thursday, December 31, 2015, 09:54 (3189 days ago) @ StoneWolf

StoneWolf, did you get the gremlins out of your Daly HP? I'm coming to love my Mark III, but the old FM clone just keeps chuggin' along. Actually carry it more than the MK3.

It has been perfect since the gunsmith replaced the trigger

by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 31, 2015, 11:06 (3189 days ago) @ Catoosa

Return spring several years ago.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, December 31, 2015, 07:37 (3190 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I "adopted" the XDM platform a few years ago after trying the Glock and M&P. I shot it best and it fit my hand better. My EDC is the XD9C and normal use (sometime carry) is the full size 5", either 9 or 45. I see no need to change.

Most Likely An Excellent Example Of The Breed

by Charles, Friday, January 01, 2016, 12:00 (3188 days ago) @ stonewalrus

My only two Ruger purchases in the past few years (Lipsey's Flattop 45 and Light Weight Commander) has convinced me that Ruger can produce high quality ready to go firearms right out of the box. They know how to get things right the first time.

I have no reason to think that the New Ruger American pistols will be any less thought out and serviceable. There is a large market for the plastic striker fired pistols as witnessed by the sales of other makes.

These pistols will be American made, Ruger backed and available at a very good price. I expect them to do well in the market place.

These type pistol have no panache or appeal to those of us, who like 1911s, Hi-Powers and similar steel pistols. These plastic pistols are soulless killing machines, and very good at that task. I have two Glocks (17 and 19) and trust them to do their job, but have no emotional connection with them. If they are stolen or lost, they won't be mourned, just replaced.

Exactly....

by rob @, Saturday, January 02, 2016, 15:34 (3187 days ago) @ Charles

You're last point is why I tend to carry my Glock 19 and .357 LCR more these days. If I loose it or it's taken for evidence I can walk into almost any gun store and walk out with an exact replacement instantly and feel no loss except for the $400 or so to replace one.

After watching this I lost any interest I might have had...

by rob @, Saturday, January 02, 2016, 21:26 (3187 days ago) @ stonewalrus

RSS Feed of thread