Anyone know more abouit Mr Davis fro San Diego that was a

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 15:13 (3197 days ago)

custom Gunsmith? I found a "Cougar" yesterday ;4" Python Barrel with Security Six frame it is waiting for after Christmas for me...:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 17:04 (3197 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Can't add much except that I recall a gun rag piece on them several years ago.

by Ken O'Neill, Thursday, December 24, 2015, 13:18 (3196 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Rob, most likely you are talking about Bill Davis, who was a very highly rated custom gunsmith who operated several shops in California, one of which was in San Diego. He was perhaps best known for building custom PPC revolvers, and that was likely the desired end-use for the Cougar..
There is a chance your gun was built by Bain & Davis, who was also located in California, before it became Kalifornia, but I think it far more likely that Bill Davis was the Daddy. It should be a jewel.
Bring it to CSA!

by Drago, Thursday, December 24, 2015, 16:46 (3196 days ago) @ Ken O'Neill

Bain & Davis is located in San Gabriel California.
http://www.bainanddavisgunshop.com/index1.asp

Bill Davis made both Smolt's & Cougar's....

by Harry O-1, Friday, December 25, 2015, 10:16 (3195 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I bought a PPC revolver from him made on a S&W Model 10 frame. From the catalog price list I have, it was $350 with my Model 10 (that was a few years ago). I still have it.

He also made the Smolt, which was a Colt Python barrel on a S&W K or N-frame. The Cougar was a Python barrel on a the "new GP100 or your older Security Six revolver. Wind up with a revolver that mates the strength of a Ruger with the balance and accuracy of a Python." There is no price listed for the Cougar, however, the Smolt ran from $195 to $225 depending on the details.

Bill Davis made both Smolt's & Cougar's.... That's it I am

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, December 28, 2015, 10:48 (3192 days ago) @ Harry O-1

sure. I will post some pictures after I pick it up. Thank you gentleman.
One of the first gun things I ever did was help polish out a Smolt; a M19 grafted to a 4" Python barrel. This was subbed out to use from the late grate Richard Aldis.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread