sticker shock

by cr., Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 20:44 (3204 days ago)

Dianne and I took a long weekend and went to Charleston to see the Hunley. Been trying to do that for several years but something always got in the way. Spent whole day getting there and two days getting back hitting pawn shops, antique malls, gun stores in every town. Getting to the point, I was astounded at pawn shop prices. Last such adventure was this past January and run of the mill, common every day beaters are up probably thirty to fifty percent. Any older Marlin or Ruger is just crazy. Three screw SB average wear and scruffed stocks...$830. Three screw BH deeply scratched and dinged with plastic non fitting stocks...real dog...$475. Ruger 22 mag rf, very early and very minty but $799??? Average combat masterpiece...$500. I don't get it.

THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE:

by SIXGUNNER, Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 22:09 (3204 days ago) @ cr.

PRICES HAVE NOT GONE UP; NOBAMANOMICS AS CAUSED THE VALUE OF OUR MONEY TO GO DOWN, DOWN, DOWN.

Correct but it is hard to get people to understand that.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, December 17, 2015, 07:40 (3204 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Correct but it is hard to get people to understand that.

by uncowboy, Thursday, December 17, 2015, 13:09 (3203 days ago) @ Hobie

I think the internet has made gun prices higher. People fish and other people see the fishing prices and think that is the real value. I saw a guy with a ruger 41 mag Blackhawk This gun was kept under the seat of his truck unprotected. There was not one part on the gun not damaged the grips were busted had about 3% finish left the rest was deep pitted and rusted. I wanted to buy it for a project gun. I like to make survivors. He wanted $450.00 firm. he said that is what the internet said it was worth. $200.00 would have been giving him a gift. J.michael

In 1974 I bought my wife a new Nickel M-15 for $125

by MR, Thursday, December 17, 2015, 14:28 (3203 days ago) @ uncowboy

If I remember correctly. What I do remember clearly was that that was a weeks pay at the time. It's relative.

She still has us both. All the parts on the M-15 still work like new, and the outside is still shiny and pretty. Me, not so much.

I think you are exactly right - if they saw it for sale some

by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 17, 2015, 15:44 (3203 days ago) @ uncowboy

Where no matter what condition theirs is, that is the price. The gun buying frenzy has not helped at all either.

Most of the time I can buy a brand new gun at my LGS for...

by rob @, Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 21:48 (3197 days ago) @ stonewalrus

less than most used guns are valued on the web. I'm sure if I had time to scour the gun shows and multiple gun stores for the used gun racks I could do better but I rarely look any more. I have most of what I want and I'm not a hoarder as much as a pragmatic shooter these days. But I see stuff posted all the time that I know is the same as my cost at my LGS before tax and sometimes more for the same gun brand new. I don't get it either.

sticker shock

by Murphy @, Thursday, December 17, 2015, 19:42 (3203 days ago) @ cr.

I think the best I've seen in person was at a gun range/shop in Oklahoma City during Thanksgiving.

How about $1,200 for an early N series S&W 4" Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman? It was in very nice condition, almost as nice as a 1965 S series residing in my safe. I'll kept my woods bumming truck Model 28-2. I'm sure given those prices, it's worth about at least 1/3rd of the 2000 Model Ford F150 I use to drive to work and back.

Murphy

RSS Feed of thread