New favorite WonderNine

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 05:55 (3205 days ago)

I picked up a LNIB Ruger SR9 w/ stainless slide for less than 3 bills and my Christmas bonus check from the pharmacy covered that nicely.
Score! :-D

Honestly, this is the first double stack 9mm that feels like my all time favorite, the Browning High Power.

I'm thinking I like this better than the High Power in fact (It pains me to say it).
Granted, I haven't handled a High Power in a number of years, but that snug high, tight feeling from that relief(?) in the backstrap up high that shortens the reach to the trigger ie. High Power, CZ-75, and now the SR9, they just fit me perfectly.

There is none of the stretch to reach the trigger or the "slide the gun toward the thumb side of the hand" to get to the trigger. This puts the gun out of alignment with the arm bones.
Not so on the SR9, this and 17 round capacity? Sign me up!

In case anyone is wondering, I'm very familiar with the SR9, having run nearly 600 rounds through a couple that my BIL and nephew own.

That exposure led me to a search for a good deal on one.
I believe I did well on this one, and the gentleman I bought it from, was happy.

There are two things that need attention, this is the safety model, and the rear edges of those small safety "buttons will catch your skin if you let the slide down instead of releasing it at rear.
I'll post a pic showing that, and what I'm thinking is the fix.
The other is the trigger blade itself.
Square Dude! A careful 20-30 minutes with abrasives and I'll be happy.

I have liked the SR9 since I handled and shot them way back

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 09:42 (3205 days ago) @ MS
edited by Rob Leahy, Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 17:10

in 07 or 08 when they came out. They feel more like a JMB design than a modern vying for the HI-Point Look a like contest Euro Guns...
I just picked up a brand new 9E to put in the safe. Ruger's spare mags are outrageous... but the gun is fairly slim and the trigger is great.
Frankly I am surprised that they are not more popular... SIGS 250/320 are a third again a s fat, better trigger than any Glurk, more affordable than a S&W...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I am thinking my SR9 may well be my "church" gun

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 19:57 (3204 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Assuming I don't pull a Rob and carry multiples...

For a better deal on SR9 mags...

by TL in OR, Central Oregon, Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 23:38 (3204 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by TL in OR, Friday, December 18, 2015, 00:13

Rob - for a better deal on SR9 mags, Ruger sells a twin-pack, factory #90449. Hope this helps....TL

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Thursday, December 17, 2015, 05:42 (3204 days ago) @ TL in OR

Hey thanks for the heads up TL, I'll probably order a couple of packs of those for the dogs to give me for Christmas.

Six mags is a good start, but double that makes me more comfortable.

The dogs and I have a deal made, I get them what they want for Christmas, and they get me what I want for Christmas. Of course they can't shop, so I do the shopping for them.

Mark

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Thursday, December 17, 2015, 05:57 (3204 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Yeah, the list of attributes is pretty long.
One other thing, adjustable sights. How many of it's competitors have adjustable sights?
Some folks prefer fixed sights for this application, but adjustable sights work better for me.
This sight appears to be well designed from the ruggedness aspect, we'll see if I can break it.

The real test though is reliability. How many rounds do you think a guy needs to put through it to be certain?
3000? 10,000?
How many failures in let's say 10,000 rounds is acceptable?
I know my old Ruger Bull Barrel Target 5.5" had 14,000+ and I never had a failure that wasn't out of spec ammo related. Bent cases, bullets lopsided that sort of thing.
If it looked normal on non-magnified inspection and had powder and primer compound, it would cycle.

I sure would like to say that about this SR9.
Time to cast up a few 1000 more 9mm bullets and limber up the Dillon 650.

Love my SR9E - feels great in my hand and it's like I

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 19:12 (3204 days ago) @ MS

Can't miss with it. Definitely a slimmer double stack than most. At the NRA convention I played touchy feely with a wide variety of wondernines and the SR9 hands down felt the best to me. Reasonably concealable too.

Love my SR9E - feels great in my hand and it's like I

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Thursday, December 17, 2015, 06:02 (3204 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Are you using the arched side of the backstrap or the flat side?

I had found in shooting my BIL's and nephew's.
They have them set up differently, and I definitely shoot better groups, and no form induced POI issues either with the flat backstrap setup.

Arched - I never changed it from the way it came

by stonewalrus, Friday, December 18, 2015, 08:48 (3203 days ago) @ MS

I had to go look. Hadn't paid that much attention.

RSS Feed of thread