If you were gonna peep sight a 10/22 takedown...

by rob @, Sunday, December 13, 2015, 14:27 (3207 days ago)

What sight would you put on. The XS is nice but I'd really prefer a threaded ring with a removable aperture. That way I could have a smaller peep for precision but I could remove it and practice using it like a ghost ring just to build confidence. Williams has the WGRS and it looks like a removable aperture with a bead front. Both look like good reliable setups. Curious if there is another good choice or pros and cons of the two I mentioned. Thanks,
rob

I was gonna mention the WGRS but...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, December 13, 2015, 15:14 (3207 days ago) @ rob

you beat me to it. ;-)

I *think* Skinner has one for the 10/22. I have some of his on lever-guns and am well pleased. A little fussy to adjust but low profile, simple and very well made.

Skinner has one specifically for the Take-Down...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, December 14, 2015, 06:57 (3207 days ago) @ Hoot

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, December 13, 2015, 15:59 (3207 days ago) @ rob

http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm But then, that is how I view the 10/22 and I find that with all my other aperture sights I don't often use the smallest apertures.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by rob @, Sunday, December 13, 2015, 19:09 (3207 days ago) @ Hobie

That's actually a pretty cool set of sights...and the price is great! I don't know if the ears on the front would bother me or not though. I can't remember what the front sight picture looked like through my AR because I didn't use them much before slapping a scope on it. On my Mini-14 the factory sights have given me fits but it's because of those stupid ears that blossom out of the base so close to the post...messes my astigmatism all up. Friday I cut them off with a cutoff wheel, filed the cuts off and cold blued it. Now I can actually see the front post:)

I've never been bothered by the "ears" on the No 4, M1

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, December 14, 2015, 06:44 (3207 days ago) @ rob

rifle or carbine, M-16, etc. it is a non-issue to me.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Not on an Enfield, Garand or M14. However....

by cas, Monday, December 14, 2015, 16:13 (3206 days ago) @ Hobie

...on the M1 carbine, yes. I've shot my carbine in a few rifle and 3 gun matches just for fun, and more than once I found myself wondering why I wasn't hitting anything because I was aiming with an "ear". :-D

They haven't bothered millions of American GIs... you'll

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, December 14, 2015, 20:24 (3206 days ago) @ rob

be fine. I have my daughter's 10/22 set up with these good sights

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I already ordered the XS sights but...

by rob @, Monday, December 14, 2015, 22:25 (3206 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

If I end up liking them I may just try the Tech Sights on my other 10/22.

I don't remember them being an issue on my AR but it's been.

by rob @, Monday, December 14, 2015, 22:29 (3206 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

a long while since I messed with them. I think it's mainly the Mini-14 because the ears look like they are budding out of the base of the front post and both ears and the post fill the inside of the aperture.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, December 13, 2015, 16:05 (3207 days ago) @ rob

I've used the WGRS on various rifles and I'm about done with them. They are a PITA to adjust. If your zero places the elevation lock screw on the edge of the base mount holes, the elevation slide will eventually move. I've also busted their fragile little screws trying to lock them in place. But I've also busted a T post and a 3/4" break-over bar in the last six months, so it might be me ;)

Damn shame you can't find old steel Lyman 57's and 66's for less than crazy money these days. I'm going to sock one of these on the rear Weaver mount of my old Winchester 670 and call it good.

[image]

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/weaver-backup-base-prod48.aspx

by rob @, Sunday, December 13, 2015, 18:58 (3207 days ago) @ Sarge

Well, that's good to know. That's a pretty neat XS rear sight and looks like it would be very versatile. I think I'll probably just go with the standard XS front and rear sight set for my 10/22. I'm not very proficient with peep and ghost ring sights but I think it's mostly a matter of getting used to them and learning to trust my eye to do the work. Hoping I can use this 10/22 to get good with them.

RSS Feed of thread