Any idea who made these grips?

by Otony, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 20:29 (3211 days ago)

Nicely made of aged micarta, supposed to fit an XR-3 grip frame (mebbeso a Colt too?). I bought 'em about ten years back thinking these were a set of old Melvin Tyler's nice micarta grips. The two sides had the screw run through so as to not lose anything, and last night I pulled it apart to photograph it. That's when I found the inscription.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I get the feeling these might be a tad better than Tyler's grips? Sure are finished nice......

Otony[image].

[image]

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 21:58 (3211 days ago) @ Otony

No idea, but they sure look nice.

by Otony, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 22:11 (3211 days ago) @ Cherokee

I guess I should try them on a Ruger!

Otony

by cubrock, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 22:35 (3211 days ago) @ Otony

That is Westinghouse Micarta. I'd hazard a guess a guy named Rider made them in 1984. Very nice!

Too bad we don't have a LIKE button on this forum....

by Otony, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 22:44 (3211 days ago) @ cubrock

.....because it would surely work for that last post!

Yeah, I recognized the Westinghouse micarta, but Melvin used that same stuff back in the day. My assumption was that these were his grips, due to the price I paid. I would be embarrassed to say just how much that was but I will say it was much less than what most folks would give nowadays for custom grips. When these showed up, I had my doubts that Mr. Tyler was involved but honestly never took the time to split the sides and try them on something. When I did, the inscription told me I had something.

If I can find a resolver these will fit, they stay here.

Otony

OM Ruger XR3 would have a bevel cut

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 20:35 (3210 days ago) @ Otony

on the back side at the top, running horizontal from front to to about a third of the way to the back.

Yep, good catch Andrew.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, December 11, 2015, 07:50 (3210 days ago) @ Andrew

XR3-RED as well even though these are not them.

RSS Feed of thread