Here kitty kitty kitty....

by Catoosa, Thursday, December 03, 2015, 09:37 (3218 days ago)

Cougar photographed on a trail camera in Humphreys County, TN. - west of Nashville. They have been seen here for years, but this is the first undeniable evidence presented to TWRA.

Good, clear b&w photos of the animal. Well-muscled and appeared in good condition. Couldn't tell if male or female, but likely male. Might just be passing through, but this cat didn't look like it had missed many meals, so it might decide to settle in these parts if left alone.

Where's the pic?

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, December 03, 2015, 09:39 (3218 days ago) @ Catoosa

;-)

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Where's the pic?

by Catoosa, Thursday, December 03, 2015, 10:05 (3218 days ago) @ Hobie

Hobie, there are several other articles as well as this one - Google "Tennessee cougar"

http://www.wsmv.com/story/30654135/cougar-spotted-on-camera-in-humphreys-county

Yeah, I'd seen this one before, on FB I'm pretty sure.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, December 03, 2015, 10:41 (3218 days ago) @ Catoosa

You know that they have found cats that have traveled 800-1200 miles from where they were tagged, right? I am not at all surprised by this.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Yeah, I'd seen this one before, on FB I'm pretty sure.

by Catoosa, Thursday, December 03, 2015, 19:50 (3217 days ago) @ Hobie

Yep, the young males will travel hundreds of miles to find territory that is not already staked out by a dominant male. The ones that are appearing in West Tennessee are probably western cats that have drifted across from Arkansas and Missouri, but there are some over in the Cataloochee wilderness in NC that may very well be a remnant population of the eastern subspecies.

yes ! tennessee and NC fish and game and the Feds

by cable, Thursday, December 03, 2015, 10:43 (3218 days ago) @ Catoosa

have claimed there were none left since the 1870s.....despite the fact that my folks, including my mother, had all seen them etc I saw one in full view in late 1970s.......and know a number of other folks who had also seen them.

great to see the pics. doesn't prove we old mountaineers aren't crazy, but still nice to see the proof.

RSS Feed of thread