Found a S&W M-39 the orther day. Very reasonbly priced

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, April 19, 2012, 11:45 (4549 days ago)

and timely as I have had some requests for just this model. We have been using a M-59 aluminum gun for molding but this is far better.
[image][image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

BTW: I am looking for a couple spare magazines for this

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, April 19, 2012, 12:24 (4549 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

if anyone here knows of where to find some let me know. Midway is out of stock.

--

BTW: I am looking for a couple spare magazines for this

by David Ashcraft @, texas, Saturday, June 09, 2012, 13:13 (4498 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

they use Wather P-38 clips which are availible from Cheaper Than Dirt or most gun shops.

It's good enough for the girls we go with...........

by Byron, Thursday, April 19, 2012, 19:16 (4549 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I gave this M39 and a bottle of Geritol to Teresa on her 30th birthday (way back when) and (let me tell you what...that was a night to remember!!)..

Never got a proper rig for it....she has a gunslinger class coming up...so it was time...

Thanks so much....[image]

My distinct and sincere pleasure.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, April 19, 2012, 22:22 (4549 days ago) @ Byron

I hope she learns a bunch at her class.

--

by Drago, Thursday, April 19, 2012, 19:35 (4549 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

My firsthaqndgun was a m39 my dad got from a family cop friend. I had to sell it one Christmas. The fellow I sold it to, loaned it to hos BiL who was later arrested. Someday I'll find a replacement for it. :-(

Oooo, Oooo, Oooo...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, April 20, 2012, 08:32 (4548 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I'd love to stumble on an affordable one o' dem.

Nice!

Oooo, Oooo, Oooo...

by BobM, Ohio, Friday, April 20, 2012, 09:05 (4548 days ago) @ Hoot

I carried a 3913 a lot back in the 90s and up until about 2006. My dept. traded in a 3906 duty gun that I could've bought for under $300, kick myself once in a while about that.

by Charles, Friday, April 20, 2012, 10:12 (4548 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have always liked the early Smith DA 9mm, and had good luck with them. Back about 1965 I even owned one of the ultra rare steel frame 39s. Today I have a good 59 and unlike others don't dislike the rather thick grip. I have always found these pistols to be reliable and accurate.

I remember some years back, hunting Elk in the Gila Wilderness (New Mexico) and a fellow came riding into our camp looking for some lost horses. It was in a driving rain and and he wore a 39 in a rain soaked cheap leather holster. He keep his hand close to it as he eyeballed our stock. He was none to friendly.

On the way out, we ran into him an another fellow, still looking for their missing stock. We had eight men each with a saddle horse and each with a pack horse in tow. These guy sat on two horses turned sideways across the train. It was on a narrow trail with a step drop off on one side and steep hill on the other side. Our stock got nervous and began to figit. These two were told in no uncertain terms to get off the trail and out of the way. They moved off the trail and again eyeballed every horse that went by.

They were agressive, hostile and put all of us at risk on that trail. I don't mind a fellow looking for their lost stock, but they needed better manners and judgment. They were not hunters but ranch types. They had seen to many John Wayne movies, but the head of our party was a real deal hardcase, the forman of the Flying H ranch. He didn't let a wet Smith 39 bother him one bit. When he told them to get off that trail, they didn't waste much time thinking about it.

I don't know why I tell this story, except the 39 jared my memory.

Great story! I like it, particulaly the happy ending.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, April 20, 2012, 11:45 (4548 days ago) @ Charles

It is Skeeteresque- relating a story to the guns involved.
I might get a little peeved at being called a horse thief myself.
A couple years ago a local in Camp Verde shot at a couple kayakers as they paddled behind his house; seems that one was in a very common model of kayak and the local had his identical boat stolen the day before... luckily nobody was hit...he is prison now.

--

Great story! I like it, particulaly the happy ending.

by uncowboy, Saturday, April 21, 2012, 08:57 (4547 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

My first centerfire Hand gun was a 39. Dad gave it to a friend and when he learned that I was upset He replaced it with a High Power ( I still have) Few years back I founf a 39 FS . I bought it. It was loose as could be but when I shot it I hit everything I pointed it at. I don't shoot it often it just comes out for a short time now and again. Can't understand how I shoot it so good. J.Michael:-D

RSS Feed of thread