Rechambering a revolver.....

by Otony, Monday, November 30, 2015, 18:33 (3220 days ago)

......I recently bought a Ruger Security Six in .357 Death Ray sporting a 4" barrel, and was enchanted with how easily it carries compared to a 4" GP100. That set me to searching the various online auction houses for another as per the theory that "one is none, and two is one".

What I found was rather surprising, the Security Six has held its value as though it were almost comparable to a pre-lock Smith & Wesson. I should emphasize "almost", because obviously a Model 19 will bring more, but the Six series guns are still priced very proudly.

The bargains, if there are any, seem to be the various Six series in .38 Special. Which brings about my question regarding rechambering. Is there any reason to think that the .38 Specials are somehow different in their metallurgy or heat treatment? So, do you think a good condition .38 Special Security Six can be rechambered to .357 without issue?

Otony

the Metalurgy will be the deciding factor...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, November 30, 2015, 19:01 (3220 days ago) @ Otony

Both barrels and cylinders are differently heat treated.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Otony, Monday, November 30, 2015, 19:20 (3220 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Oh, well, never mind then. Thank you.

Otony

by bob, Monday, November 30, 2015, 19:58 (3220 days ago) @ Otony

It is rumored that the 38Spl cylinders were in fact .357 cylinders with the barrel stamping changed. If I ran across one, I'd real quick like see if a 357 catridge would chamber. And no, I'm in no rush to sell my 6" Sec Six!
bob

They are great strong .38s Skeeter's old load works well in

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, November 30, 2015, 20:08 (3220 days ago) @ Otony

those... Why change it? load some Unique under a 172 Keith and have a blast!:-D

--

The Six-series rules!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, November 30, 2015, 20:58 (3220 days ago) @ Otony

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I am covered, no worries......

by Otony, Monday, November 30, 2015, 22:54 (3220 days ago) @ bob

.....I have the 4" Security Six, and a 6" GP100 with the half lug rather than the Python style lug. It is exactly what I want in a long barreled .357 Magnum. I would just like to have another 4" Security Six or Service Six.

Otony

One of my Speed-6's is a .38...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 06:55 (3220 days ago) @ bob

It will not chamber a .357.

Are they all the same dimensions and metallurgy? Dunno.

Rechambering a revolver.....

by Norm, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 08:10 (3220 days ago) @ Otony

Long ago I read an article wherein Rick Devoid at Tarnhelm re-chambered 2" Mod 10 .38 Spl to .357 Magnum for Ayoob.

Tarnhelm's site lists a SP-101 conversion, so your Security Six may be a candidate for re-chambering

http://www.tarnhelm.com/services/services.html

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 08:13 (3220 days ago) @ bob

I remember reading an article by some well-known writer that visited the plant that made the point that all the materials, i.e. the metalurgy, were the same, model to model (and one presumes for any given time period of manufacture). It just wasn't cost effective to change as cylinder blanks or barrels could be used for different models as demand required. If I remember correctly this applies to the .380/200 or .38 S&W guns made for India.

I look at every Six-series gun that comes through the shop and I see differences between "eras" but not calibers. Seeing is, of course, not laboratory analysis.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

And we have a winnah!

by Otony, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 10:39 (3220 days ago) @ Norm
edited by Otony, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 10:48

Thanks Norm, they were able to answer my questions! No issues with a rechambering a Six series revolver, and at 85 bucks, it isn't too bad a price either!

Otony

Cool!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 14:51 (3219 days ago) @ Otony

I had assumed as much but it was merely an assumption.

Good price too!

Cool! Glad to hear that.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 15:59 (3219 days ago) @ Otony
edited by Rob Leahy, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 16:47

--

remember the history of the SP101

by bj @, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 20:14 (3219 days ago) @ Hobie

This might or might not apply though.

Someone, maybe Ayoob, suggested that the .38 special SP101 looked pretty beefy and why don't they bring it out in .357. Ruger got curious, cut the chambers longer on a test gun, and tried .357 proof loads in it. It worked just fine so they started chambering and marking the SP101's appropriately. The cylinders were made the appropriate length for .38 special so they would only fit .357 loads with the shorter bullets such as 125 grains. Ruger marked the barrels of these guns for 125 grain bullets only. The next time they were ready to produce a batch of the guns they made the cylinders longer to fit standard .357 mag loads, maybe changed the frames as well.

remember the history of the SP101. Yes, I do recall that!

by Otony, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 20:45 (3219 days ago) @ bj

It is one of the reasons I was wondering about the .38 Special Six series resolvers.

We have a couple of new GP100s in the shop that are built as .38 Specials. I guess those are still produced for security guards or armored car guards limited to DA .38s. I had contacted Clement about rechambering and reboring one to 10mm and he said no problemo. That and the SP101 scenario got me going down this road.....

Otony

Stay away from the 150 series

by Bob Hatfield @, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 21:10 (3219 days ago) @ Otony

They have an oddball gripframe and nobody makes grips for them I don't think. Plus they feel weird compared to a 151 series Security six. I don't believe they made a 150 series for very long.

Bob

Yep, the 150 prefix was 1972-1974.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, December 02, 2015, 07:41 (3219 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Aftermarket grip panels are indeed unobtainium. I do happen to, ahem, know a guy who has more OEM panels than one man needs....

My Sec-6 is a somewhat scarce 150 prefix stainless. I do find it uncomfortable to shoot for extended sessions. It beats up the 'thumb web' pretty good. I keep it because it was my first of the 6's and because of the relative rarity.

Also, not to be persnickety, but there are recorded instances of 151 prefixes with the low back frames. They are quite rare. Like the saying over on Ruger Forum, "Never say never with Ruger."

Hey Hoot.

by Catoosa, Wednesday, December 02, 2015, 09:35 (3219 days ago) @ Hoot

Do you have a Tyler grip adapter on that Sec 6?

I've found that to be the best solution to ill-feeling factory grips. Got a Sec 6 with some beautiful but slick zebrawood grips. The Tyler makes it comfortable to shoot even with heavy loads.

The only problem is FINDING Tyler adapters. They make one for the Security/Speed frame, but they are pretty scarce.

Yep. Tyler No. 8.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, December 02, 2015, 09:53 (3219 days ago) @ Catoosa

I foolishly gave away the "extra" one I had.

[image]

Yep. Tyler No. 8.

by Catoosa, Wednesday, December 02, 2015, 21:23 (3218 days ago) @ Hoot

Yow!

I see you have the exact same setup that I have - zebrawood and a polished Tyler. Mine is on a blued 6". The Security 6 is a FINE revolver. Ruger should put it back into production.

Ya' know...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, December 02, 2015, 21:36 (3218 days ago) @ Catoosa

This post reminds me I haven't shot that one lately. We may have to rectify that soon...

I don't have a picture but it did used to sport a set of Jay Scott "faux stag" panels. I did a bunch of fitting to those and they mated up quite well but, man o' man, they were still friggin' Jay Scott fake stags! You can only dress those up so much.

Ya' know...

by Catoosa, Thursday, December 03, 2015, 09:50 (3218 days ago) @ Hoot

I have a set or two of those in my orphan grip box. One set I actually had on my old LW Commander many years ago. Durn things were so thick they made it feel like a double-stack. I have several sets of the Franzite fake stags and actually like them on revolvers. Kinda 50's retro. Got to have Tylers with them, though, or they are mighty hard to hold onto.

RSS Feed of thread