Musings

by Catoosa, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 22:11 (3221 days ago)

With all the crap going on these days, I'm becoming less inclined to feel comfortable carrying a J-frame in some circumstances, and have contemplated upgrading to an autoloader. I've spent some time researching the S&W Shield and other small 9mms, and I just can't work up much enthusiasm for the striker-fired DA autos, especially carried IWB with a round chambered.

After several dalliances with other bottomfeeders, I'm back to carrying my well-worn old Browning HP, this time in a new Blackhawk CQC holster. Call me an anachronistic old fart, but I just like and trust single-action autos. Several generations of men have gone in harm's way with High Powers in their holsters or stuck in their belts, and if it worked for them I guess it will work for me. I have an almost-new Mark III stashed in the safe, and as soon as I run a few more rounds through it that may be the "upgrade" I've been looking for.

Funny thing happened on the way to the gun fight.......

by Otony, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 22:36 (3221 days ago) @ Catoosa

.......I bought another High Power because I feel the same way! The second one is a FEG, but it seems to be of reasonably nice quality. I'm thinking shoulder holster, but I do have a pretty decent collection of Simply Rugged pancakes to use, along with a very good, South African copy of an Askins Avenger.

Since you are a single action auto type of fellow, you might consider the Sig-Sauer 938 or the Springfield Armory EMP. Both are 1911 derivatives and in the case of the 938, lighter than all the sub-compact plastic fantastic 9emems on the market. I dearly want an EMP, but I will wait until I see a used one at a bargain price. The 938 comes up used frequently at reasonable prices.

Otony.

I generally carry a .40-something duirng hunting season

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, November 30, 2015, 06:53 (3221 days ago) @ Catoosa

but this year it isn't a revolver in which I carry hunting loads but my Garthwaite CCO (thanks to Rob Leahy).

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Funny thing happened on the way to the gun fight.......

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, November 30, 2015, 09:37 (3221 days ago) @ Otony

Or the CZ75 which can be carried cocked & locked.

Musings

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, November 30, 2015, 09:37 (3221 days ago) @ Catoosa

Nothing wrong with your choice.

Yes, absolutely......

by Otony, Monday, November 30, 2015, 09:58 (3221 days ago) @ Creeker

......you are correct.

Otony

Musings

by Big Six, Monday, November 30, 2015, 11:02 (3221 days ago) @ Catoosa

You are only one of many having these same feelings. (re: “With all the crap going on these days”)

The term “upgrading to an autoloader” grates on an old man but certainly has a ring of truth to it.

I don’t especially care for plastic, striker fired handguns but, giving credit where credit is due, some of them are hard to beat for reliability.

A revolver man has to totally retrain to use any of them, but it can be done.

I have bad news. In time, this feeling will worsen. You will eventually carry two.

I have a son (LEO, big town, bad areas) who indicates many of them carry three on their person.

They carry the big stuff in the ceiling or trunk of the vehicle.

May the force be with you.

Now you've done it - perfectly content with my SR9

by stonewalrus, Monday, November 30, 2015, 12:19 (3221 days ago) @ Catoosa

And you have me thinking about my .40 Witness (CZ75 clone) with the faux ivory "Don't Tread on Me" grips...

Musings

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, November 30, 2015, 13:14 (3220 days ago) @ Catoosa

My EDC is an XD9C with an extra 16 rd mag. I tried carrying my PD 45 ACP but I was not sufficiently accurate with it in combat drills. The XD9C is much, much better and with Hornady CD ammo, should do the job, and I have a lot more ammo available. I was surprised that I took to the XD platform so quickly since I have been shooting 1911's for 50+ year, but so be it. Also now have XDM 5.25 in 9 and 45 ACP, both of which I have also carried. For me and mine...what ever works the best is my choice. Oh, I'm still keeping my 1911's.

Happy Birthday! Great one! Really enjoyed that. you really

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, November 30, 2015, 18:35 (3220 days ago) @ Catoosa

had me with the Hi-Power. I caught it when you said Serpa CQB... the only holster to be banned by multiple LE Agencies and the Marine Corps...So How old?;-) I still have an oldused Uncle Mike
s around here. Or Seriously,. Gordo, I have a slightly used Milt Sparks from my collection I will send you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Serpa+Banned+by+US&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

3 is a good number. I have grown very found of a pair of

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, November 30, 2015, 20:27 (3220 days ago) @ Big Six
edited by Rob Leahy, Monday, November 30, 2015, 20:32

commanders right and left hand with a 3ed gun stashed around...a rifle of some sort around usually...

--

Happy Birthday! Great one! Really enjoyed that. you really

by Catoosa, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 10:22 (3220 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Rob, that's not the holster I'm using. The one I have is the all-leather IWB, a conventional style with an adjustable belt loop and a shirt guard. I just can't do kydex, especially not IWB.

My older HP is one of the original Argentine FM clones that I bought new in the early '90s. Out of the box it was stone reliable and amazingly accurate. Replaced the safety with a C&S, ramped and serrated the front sight, and called it good. Finish is somewhat worn now, but it has NEVER malfunctioned. I carry a magazine full of the old aluminum-cased Blazer JHPs in it around here on the place, and it is even reliable with those notoriously hard-to-feed rounds.

I'd love to have a Sparks holster. What would you want for it?

PS

by Catoosa, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 10:28 (3220 days ago) @ Catoosa

Just noticed the Happy Birthday wish - Thanks! My Birthday was 2 weeks ago, but my OP was serious. Several of our Tennessee politicians have annoyed the handwringers by daring to suggest that Christians consider arming themselves to counter the increasing threat. Been on board with that for quite a while now.....

Our church is starting up a rotating security team

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 11:41 (3220 days ago) @ Catoosa

Don't know why they didn't have one already. Don't know what is intended. I sort of figured I was already a part of the security team - they just didn't know it.

Our church is starting up a rotating security team

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 12:31 (3219 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Great to hear. I am on ours...officially , now... ;-)

--

Our church doesnt know they have a security team....

by Otony, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 17:00 (3219 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by Otony, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 17:04

[image]

...........and that is apparently how it will stay for awhile.

Otony

I volunteered but we haven't met together yet

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, December 01, 2015, 20:46 (3219 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

A few good suspicious paranoid people are healthy for a congregation...

RSS Feed of thread