Need a Security Six front sight blade!

by Otony, Saturday, November 28, 2015, 21:47 (3222 days ago)

I picked up a stainless Ruger Security Six recently, and found that the front sight blade is slightly bent, and a bit loose to boot. I figured that fixing it wouldn't be much of a problem, but I was dismayed to discover that while I can buy virtually every part at Numrich, for some reason firing pins and front sights are a no go (I did, however, purchase a smooth trigger to replace the horrible serrated version).

So, any suggestions? If I had my druthers I would install a patridge blade, and if necessary I will file one out of flat bar stock, but I'd sure like to hear about an easier source of replacement blades.

In the increasingly dimmer regions of my mind I seem to recall being able to adapt a Smith & Wesson blade into the Ruger base but that is likely wild thoughts from too much exposure to patchouli oil in my misbegotten youth.

Otony

I can probably....

by Glen, Saturday, November 28, 2015, 22:21 (3222 days ago) @ Otony

....make you one. I'm going to be on the road for the next several days. Contact me next weekend and we'll discuss it.

Sounds like a winner!

by Otony, Saturday, November 28, 2015, 22:36 (3222 days ago) @ Glen

I have plenty of things to give you in return.

Otony

How wide....

by Glen, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 09:11 (3222 days ago) @ Otony

...is the existing sight blade?

How wide....

by Otony, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 09:32 (3222 days ago) @ Glen
edited by Otony, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 09:36

I have it stashed at the shop, won't be in until Wednesday. I can swing by tomorrow and measure it if you need the dimensions soon rather then later.

Are you going to make a patridge blade? Do you want the existing blade first? Apparently there is a difference between front sights from the ball recoil shield guns and the scalloped recoil shield guns. This is a ball shield.

Otony

No rush...

by Glen, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 21:34 (3221 days ago) @ Otony

...I'm in Idaho Falls at the moment. I just wanted to know if we were using 1/8" flat stock to make this, or .100" flat stock. Looks like it's 1/8". I can make it whatever shape you want.

Thank you, thank you......

by Otony, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 22:25 (3221 days ago) @ Glen

.....you are so generous.

Otony

If it's of any help...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 11:09 (3221 days ago) @ Glen

My early stainless Sec-6, round ball shield, measures right at .125". A couple of Speed-6's, also ball shield, measure .121" & .124". FWIW.

Thank you Hoot!

by Otony, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 11:31 (3221 days ago) @ Hoot

I'm sure to measure mine anyway, but it is good to have backup!

Otony

RSS Feed of thread