H4198 Small extruded grain vs. not small w/pic...

by rob @, Friday, November 27, 2015, 15:33 (3223 days ago)

I needed some new H4198 so I went and picked some up. I have an older can from way back before they ever put "Small extruded grain for uniform metering" on the can. I also had a tad bit left that had the above on the bottle. When looking, they only had H4198 without the small extruded note. I bought it, reluctantly, wondering if it's all small extruded now so they just don't mark it. I just pulled it out to compare and here's what I see. [image]
For whatever reason it won't let me upload the secon picture so I'll post it below.

by rob @, Friday, November 27, 2015, 15:43 (3223 days ago) @ rob

[image]
So looking at this powder, the cap on the left is the container marked small extruded, the middle is the newest H4198 unmarked as to grain size and the cap on the right is the old stuff before they started doing small extruded. The original stuff is definitely longer, the small extruded is certainly shorter and the new stuff looks to be just as short as the one marked small extruded except it may even be smaller in diameter or it's a bit lighter in color making it look that way. In any case, my guess is they dropped the small extruded phrase and it's all that way now. Curious what you guys think or know about this.

The big questions are...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, November 28, 2015, 07:08 (3223 days ago) @ rob

how does it meter? and How does it it compare to the other versions in terms of performance? Do the rounds loaded with it shoot to the same POI as rounds loaded with the other versions?

The big questions are...

by rob @, Saturday, November 28, 2015, 07:39 (3223 days ago) @ Paul

I haven't tried the newest can but the stuff marked "small extruded" meters pretty good through my big Redding measure and the load stayed the same and hits exactly to the same POI. The old stuff didn't meter well at all. I'm sure the new will measure exactly the same as the stuff marked small extruded. I still have one unopened metal can and one unopened plastic bottle and another half pound of IMR 4198. It doesn't meter well at all but it shoots well in the Guide Gun too but at a lesser charge. I need to use it up but it's time consuming because it has to be hand weighed.

by jgt, Saturday, November 28, 2015, 10:34 (3222 days ago) @ rob

I guess time is relative. I have always weighed each charge for my rifle rounds even though I am told it has more to do with volume. My pea brain says if the charge weighs the same the volume is going to be a lot closer. I use a scoop with hard to meter powders and then trickle them up to weight. Doesn't take enough time over a powder measure to drink a cup of coffee. "Relax, take your time. You'll get a more harmonious outcome.";-)

I did exactly that for a long time but...

by rob @, Saturday, November 28, 2015, 12:21 (3222 days ago) @ jgt

Once they started doing short cut powders I use my Redding measure and dump it in the case, pour it in the scale and weigh it. It is pretty darned precise. Most throws come out exact often enough if one is off I toss it back in the bottle instead of correcting it. I have accuracy tested just throwing them and seating a bullet vs. weighing and found little to no difference but I'm still a bit OCD about my rifle rounds. With the old IMR extruded stuff, it feels like gravel trying to run it through a measure so when I finally sit down and load that powder I'll go back to the dipper and a spoon method. With ball powders and stuff like RL7 I just throw and go though.

RSS Feed of thread