? for Otony.....

by Ray L., Thursday, November 19, 2015, 01:17 (3232 days ago)

you mentioned Kahr pistols in the "beltless" carry post below....I just went cross-eyed, developing a migrane while on Bud's looking at them.....they all look alike to me with not enough information in the descriptions to help with a final decision....price ranges from $300 to $840....Typical reviews from folks who don't seem to quite understand how firearms operate and/or did not complete the eighth grade....Do you have any recommendations?

? for Otony.....

by Otony, Thursday, November 19, 2015, 05:22 (3232 days ago) @ Ray L.

I've owned a couple of the steel frame K9s, and aside from cosmetic issues on one of them, I was quite well pleased. However, those are chunky little monkeys, weighing in at about 23 ozs if I recall correctly. That is about the same weight as a Glock 19, so not a boat anchor but still plenty heavy for pocket carry. If you mean to use a belt holster, I think it is reasonable, but the polymer fram P9, or its economy version, the CW9, weigh in at just under 16 ozs, which is a significant difference regardless of how you carry it.

I haven't owned a P9, but I've certainly shot one a lot that belongs to a friend. The difference between it and the CW9 is mostly cosmetic. The P9 has nicer sights and seems to be a bit better finished in terms of the trigger. I'm afraid that opinion comes mostly from playing cops and robbers when it is slow in the shop. I weigh a LOT of guns and mess around looking at sights and trying triggers quite a bit.

All of the versions I've mentioned come in a shorter, stubbier variation which gives you a smaller, lighter package, but I personally find those a wee bit too small to feel comfortable in my hand. The is just me though, we sell a fair share of them.

What do the polymer framed versions give you that the S&W, Glock, XDS, KelTec, or Ruger don't? I just happen to like the trigger pull better on the Kahr, but that is a personal preference. It is more similar to a light DA revolver pull than any of the other pocket rockets on the markets, most of which seem as though trigger pull is an afterthought. Of the ones mentioned, the Ruger LC9S (not the old LC9) has the crispest trigger, but it is still an awful lot like a cap gun. Just my 2 cents......
Otony

I had an MK9 élite for a few years.

by cas, Thursday, November 19, 2015, 11:35 (3232 days ago) @ Otony

Loved it but I didn't. It wasn't trouble free by any means. The previous owner, a friend, had to send it back because the barrel/slide lockup was eating itself up. They replaced the whole top and, then I bought it. On me, that slide cracked. Between the barrel hole and the guide rod hole. I was told it's not uncommon. Even with that, it still worked just fine.

It never malfunctioned on me. It was more accurate than it had any business being. And the DAO trigger was great. But as stated, it was a brick. Too heavy to pocket carry well, too small to carry IWB well. I was always left with the feeling "I might as well have a bigger gun."
I bought it "just because" and the price was real good. I bought it more as a shooter/plinker than a carry gun and I shot it a lot. But were I looking for similar today I'd buy a Glock 43 or a Sheild.

As I recall some of the "cheaper" ones have a fixed front sight, where the higher priced ones have a front dovetail.

Not Otony but I do have a Kahr CM9

by JD, Western Washington, Thursday, November 19, 2015, 13:54 (3232 days ago) @ Otony

The CM9 is the economy version of Kahr's micro 9mm's. It sells for under $400 and is a good bargain. It weighs in at 14 ounces empty. The flush fit mags are 6 round, and the slightly extended mags are 7 rounds. I like the very smooth double action trigger; it's about like a VERY smooth double action revolver trigger but somewhat lighter. For such a light gun, recoil isn't at all objectionable, probably because the composite frame helps absorb some of the kick. I've never had a hiccup with mine with the ammo that I carry or with my handloads. Kahr says that all of their guns need a 200 round break in, but mine has been flawless from the first round. All in all, I'm very happy with it and it is one of my most used carry guns. I just stuff it in a good pocket holster and drop it in the front pocket of my jeans, then stuff 2 seven round extra mags in my back pocket, and I'm ready to head out the door. 21 rounds of 9mm +P isn't bad, and should be enough to get me out of trouble if need be....

I have a P45

by CJM @, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 15:09 (3229 days ago) @ Ray L.

mostly use 160 & 185 ammo to keep the recoil down. I have very large hands, and this is about the smallest pistol I can hold on to well.

All Kahr models use basically the same design - striker-fired semi-auto with a long, smooth but heavy pull just like a double action revolver. No safety lever, and like a double action revolver, no need for one.
Lots and lots of options which does cause some confusion, calibers include 380, 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP, the 380's are on a smaller standard package (2.5" barrel and 3.9" total height) and only go up 1 size while the rest (3.5" barrel and 4.8" total height) also go one size bigger and one size smaller than standard.

Model letters decoded:
a "K" in the model number means a steel frame,
a "P" means a polymer frame.
The steel frames are heavier, and do help with recoil on the 40 and 45 caliber guns, but do drag on the holster belt more than the lighter polymer frames, which have steel insert's for the frame rails for reliability and long life.
a "T" means one more round in the magazine and a longer grip frame that is easier to hold, also get another 1/2 inch of barrel. At one point these were referred to as target models, but without adjustable sights I think they stopped doing that.
an "M" means one less round in the magazine and a shorter grip frame that I just can't grab effectively, and you lose a 1/4 inch of barrel.
a "C" means a pinned front sight instead of dovetailed, not "drift adjustable".
a "W" is their cost reduced series, rifled instead of polygonal barrel and MIM parts instead of machined from bar stock, roll marked instead of CNC engraved. Actually for a cast bullet shooter the "W" guns would be preferred with their rifled barrels, I think that MIM has proven to be just as durable as machined parts, but when used in triggers, hammers and sears the resulting trigger pull starts out very "gritty", most smooth out and some just don't.
Dove-tail sights are all "drift adjustable", so basically fixed. Models available with post & dot night sights.
Mostly you find guns with black frames and stainless finished slides. There are models with black slides, and now they are starting to use Cerakote for more color choice on the slides.

RSS Feed of thread