What are your go-to guns?

by Brian A, Friday, November 06, 2015, 14:34 (3245 days ago)

This is a game we have not played in a while and a little ways down Cable mentioned many of our go-to guns are not necessarily our best-made, fanciest, or coolest guns, but just one that reliably gets the job done for us whenever called on. Now, we all know that there is no such thing as the all-around gun, so maybe we should break this down into categories that everyone can relate to. How about medium game, small game, birds, varmint, plinking, concealed carry and home defense? Don't forget a little story about each one and why it is so special to you. I'll start;

Medium Game - Husqvarna carbine w/Mannlicher stock in 30/06 sporting a Redfield 4x scope that has a dot reticle. This is my always dependable deer slayer that was given to me by my grandfather after I borrowed it from him to kill my first deer.

Small Game - Winchester 69A wearing a Redfield 1.5X scope. It is a bit battered and the exterior has some pitting, but with ammo it likes, it will put every round into a squirrel's eye at 25 yards.

Birds - Remington 870 express 12 ga., it is a parts gun with an after-market synthetic stock set and a 21" Rem-choke bbl, that I picked up at a gun show. I painted it with flat black automotive spray paint, then camouflaged over that with acrylic paint.

Varmint - Browning B-78 in 22-250 wearing a 10X Weaver scope. Instant death on coyotes and woodchucks. It is easily the prettiest of my go-to guns and is a bit of heavy beast, but it always gets the job done.

Plinking - S&W Mod 18, have no idea how many rounds have been put through this, at least 10,000, but it will shoot into 3/4" at 25 yards if you do your part and is just a joy. My Dad bought this new in the mid-50s and gave it to me when I wanted to learn how to shoot a double action revolver.

Concealed Carry - AMT DA Backup, it is a bit heavy by modern standards and they have a poor reputation for reliability, but this one has been extremely reliable for me and is even fairly accurate for a pocket gun, with 10" plates at 25 yard in very serious jeopardy.

Home Defense - S&W 629 Mountain Revolver loaded with heavy 44 special loads. It fits my hand and I have put so many thousands of rounds through it we are old, good friends.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, November 06, 2015, 22:25 (3244 days ago) @ Brian A

If I was doing the things you list right now......below is what I'd use.

Medium Game - 700 Remington, 30/06, Hogue overmolded stock, Tasco Whitetail Classic scope.

Small Game - Marlin 780, Weaver K4

Birds - Ithaca 37, 12 ga.

Varmint - 700 Remington, .22/250, a very old Weaver K12

Plinking - Ruger Super Single Six, 6 1/2" barrel cut & threaded from a 10/22 Ruger or a Marlin 795.

Concealed Carry - S&W MP 9C

Home Defense - S&W MP Pro 9.

by Brian A, Saturday, November 07, 2015, 19:49 (3243 days ago) @ Creeker

I can really relate to those pieces. Some real solid, classic choices.

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, November 07, 2015, 11:33 (3244 days ago) @ Brian A

Carry- Les Baer Commander 45acp

Deer- Ruger Ultra Lite M77R 243 Win

Bird/Upland- SKB Royal SxS 12 ga

Hog gun- Ruger Alaskan 416 Ruger

Accuracy - Freedom Arms 7 1/2" 41 Mag

Pick it up and hit with it- Ruger Blackhawk 6 1/2" 41 Mag, Clements custom front sight, Bowen Target rear sight.

Long range- Savage FCRP 308 Win. Vortex Viper 6-24x50

Fast shooting- Les Baer 1911 6" 45acp

Gotta kill it- Marlin 1894 FG 41 Mag

Blaster- homebuilt M4, Noveseke forged lower, RRA lite weight upper

Being quiet- Ruger 22/45 Titanium w/ Yankee Hill suppressor

Compact firepower- S&W 4" M57 41 Mag

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Nice list

by Brian A, Saturday, November 07, 2015, 19:44 (3243 days ago) @ Gunner

I like that you did the categories to fit yourself, was thinking I should've requested everyone do their own lists. Some real cool pieces you got there.

Depends

by ERSisk @, Saturday, November 07, 2015, 20:55 (3243 days ago) @ Brian A

Doing chores gun everyday, a SS Bearcat, bought from tschirhart back when, If I have killed one rat with this gun I have killed a hundred + a few snakes and other vermin of opportunity. 22 plinking is a toss up between a 4 5/8" single six and a 1947 k22 (the Armadillo Gun). Scouting, fishing, canoeing (my PPP)a Taurus 4" Tracker Total Titanium .41 magnum. Handgun hunting, FA 83 7 1/2" field grade, because I shoot it better than my other FA 83,s. Rifles, a Win. 94-22mag, a Marlin 336 that I have had for 50 years loaded with TSX 150's & Lever Evolution. Long Range/big game, A Ted Williams (Mod 70)30-06. Birds and clays, Browning BSS 12ga. Every day concealed carry Bond arms Snake Slayer.

Depends

by Brian A, Saturday, November 07, 2015, 22:58 (3243 days ago) @ ERSisk

Now that sounds like the sort of eclectic mix I was sort of expecting, really cool.

by stonewalrus, Sunday, November 08, 2015, 09:34 (3243 days ago) @ Brian A

EDC Springfield 45 XDS
Bump in night gun Witness 40 with light
General shotgun use H&R Pardner Turkey gun (22")
Reach out big game. Remington 7600 30-06
Light big game and defense Mini 14
Reach out handgun Ruger Blackhawk 45 7 1/2" barrel
22 - can't beat a Ruger 10/22!
22 plinker: Ruger Single Six and Beretta Neos
Fun rifle that could cover most bases: Rossi 357 carbine

You are right...

by Brian A, Sunday, November 08, 2015, 21:18 (3242 days ago) @ stonewalrus

It is pretty tough to beat a 10/22. I have always been fascinated by the 7600's as well, though have never owned or hunted with one. I have hunted with a 14 in 35 Rem and liked it, but never shot anything with it.

My grab and go gun is a Smith and Wesson M&P Compact

by stonewalrus, Sunday, November 08, 2015, 17:21 (3242 days ago) @ Brian A

In 9 mm. I have a small bag full of loaded full size and compact magazines (a dozen or so) that I can grab if need be

My grab and go gun is a Smith and Wesson M&P Compact

by Brian A, Sunday, November 08, 2015, 21:21 (3242 days ago) @ stonewalrus

That should cover most emergency situations well enough.

I wish I had definitive answers...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, November 09, 2015, 12:15 (3242 days ago) @ Brian A

I am too fickle I guess. This one this week, that one next.

Notable would be:
BRNO 110ZBK in .22 Hornet which is an absolute laser. I don't want to so much as tighten a scope mounting screw for fear of messing with the mojo there.

S&W M-41 which deserves a much better driver.

The Martini Cadet in .32 SWL which, while a bit ratty, is a guaranteed grin.

A Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible which was a gift from Dad hunted with me for many a mile but never claimed anything.

A Springfield 1911-A1 has also been down more than a couple of roads with me.

There are others which have special connections...a .45-70 built by a friend of my brother's which he gave to me; an old broken H&R Trapper which was my Grandad's; a .300W-M Mauser built by my Dad; and so on.

Sorry Brian, I didn't really give you a direct answer.

I completely understand...

by Brian A, Monday, November 09, 2015, 20:39 (3241 days ago) @ Hoot

This thread was hopefully not just for me, was hoping the group would get a kick out of it and get a chance to share some of the pieces we don't always talk about. I totally understand the difficulty of having to choose specific ones over others, as they are all unique and special in their own right. You shared some great pieces, would love to play with a 41, a good target semi-auto is really high on my 'want' list, and I totally agree with the hand-me-down pieces that may not get used much, but are far too special to let go of. I have been trying to spend some time afield with a few pieces my Grandfather left to my Dad, take them out, sight them in, carry them in the field hunting, clean them up, send them back to my Dad to go into the safe again.

by DiamondD, Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 17:27 (3239 days ago) @ Brian A

EDC: Brace of Glock 43s, sometimes a Glock 26 and a S&W 442

Home Defense: Glock 19

Med/Big Game: Ruger Hawkeye .338 RCM/S&W Mountain Gun .45 Colt/ 4" Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt/Glock 20 or 29

Varmints: BCM AR 15 A4/ S&W M&P 15/ TC Encore .223

Plinking: Ruger Single Six 3.5"

Small Game: Henry brass frame .22

Bear Gun: Marlin Guide Gun

So....speak to me of this 3.5" Single Six...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 21:03 (3239 days ago) @ DiamondD
edited by Hoot, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 09:46

please. Pictures would be very much appreciated. I am intrigued.

Thank you.

by DiamondD, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 23:16 (3235 days ago) @ Hoot

Hoot I will try to figure out how to upload a pic, it has been a while. Anyway a local guy here would show up at gun shows with custom Ruger SAs that he had put together. I first bought a .45 Colt that he had built on an OM .30 Carbine frame and round butted. Then I bought this little two tone 3.5" .22 single six and finally a Stainless Super in .44 Mag.

The Single Six and the OM .45:
[image]

by DiamondD, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 23:18 (3235 days ago) @ DiamondD

The other side of the SS:
[image]

by DiamondD, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 23:19 (3235 days ago) @ DiamondD

And the Super BH .44 Mag.:
[image]

WOW!! Thanks!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, November 16, 2015, 05:23 (3235 days ago) @ DiamondD

That S-6 is a honey!

The others are very nice as well.

WOW!! Thanks!

by DiamondD, Monday, November 16, 2015, 23:42 (3234 days ago) @ Hoot

Thanks Hoot. My dad still hasn't forgiven me for that Single Six. He saw it first and came to get me to show it to me. I immediately bought it. He can shoot it anytime but he still holds a grudge.

HAHAHA!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 07:04 (3234 days ago) @ DiamondD

There's been contentious guns in my family as well! I bought a Bearcat out from under the nose of Bro Dan many years ago. He grumbled about that off and on in the intervening years but I really surprised him one Christmas when I gave it "back".

by Brian A, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 21:22 (3238 days ago) @ DiamondD

That is quite a list of very nice pieces.

RSS Feed of thread