Astra Terminator

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 13:19 (3260 days ago)

The Astra Terminator is a unique gun, one of the first big bore snub noses available. Apparently the first versions were cut down by John Jovino in NYC. Because of an import law, short barrelled "Saturday Night Specials" could not be imported. So these were brough in with a longer barrel, then cut down by Jovino. At some point Astra started doing the work themselves.

The Astra Terminator was used in the movie "Dusk Til Dawn" and on the TV series "Hunter". And probably a few more.

I have been watching for one of these guns for years, and found one Monday at a small town Arkansas pawn shop. I believe this is an early gun, possibly one of the Jovino conversions.

Astra 44 Magnum, is not marked TERMINATOR anywhere. This one has a frame profile more like a S&W that some I've seen.
[image]

It does have Pachmayr compact grips, barrel length is just a hair over 2 3/4 inches.
[image]

Five screw type frame, there is a screw underneath in front of the triggerguard.
[image]

Pinned barrel, and front sight base
[image]

Recessed chambers
[image]

No bluing on the crown, this is what makes me think it could have been a cut down Jovino gun.
[image]

The rear sight is broken, I'm going to have to find a replacement, or more likely have this one welded up. Lockup is very tight, when the hammer is cocked this is no movement of the cylinder at all. I'm anxious to shoot it.

I LIKE it!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 13:57 (3260 days ago) @ Warhawk

Never knew that lil' beastie existed.

me too! i knew about them and found one a couple

by cable, Friday, October 23, 2015, 11:46 (3259 days ago) @ Hoot

of years ago. then my wife took it as it fit her hand perfectly; uses it for carrying here when four wheeling / hunting. they are bringing pretty high prices now. it shoots a big ragged one hole group at 60-70 feet.

I kept an eye out for another and found a stainless one; just picked it up from my dealer last evening. cant wait to try it.

this is a great piece for knocking around in the woods and four wheeling and small enough to not get in the way when fishing etc.

Don't Look Hobie! It looks like another Jorvino Snub...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 14:04 (3260 days ago) @ Warhawk

Very cool find!;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Too late, I think it is bueno!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 22:42 (3259 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I had a stainless one a couple years ago.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:37 (3259 days ago) @ Warhawk

It was a sweet shooter with 44 Specials. Mine was also not marked as a "Terminator". I found a 629-1 3" shortly after I had picked it up, so I sold it. Wish I hadn't, but I seem to find things down the road to fix regrets.

BTW, the grip frame is more the size of a K frame round butt. I tried some Hogue grips on it, but they were a little wobbly. Other than hand fitted wood, the Pachys may be the best fit.

[image]

I had a stainless one a couple years ago.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 20:16 (3259 days ago) @ Andrew

Yours is proof that they did make some stainless guns with the S&W frame profile. Seems like most of these have a frame design that's different at the crane hinge area.

Astra Terminator

by Brian A, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 20:41 (3259 days ago) @ Warhawk

I vaguely remember those when they fist came out and had a few gun magazine write-ups. Always thought they looked really cool, but never got to shoot one or even handle one. The write-ups were sure pretty glowing if I remember correctly. Hope it exceeds your expectations.

Astra Terminator

by Catoosa, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 21:27 (3259 days ago) @ Warhawk

Looks like the muzzle may have been polished at some point. Some people have done that believing that a bright muzzle ring makes the bore look larger and more intimidating when pointed at someone.

I would imagine that gun would not need any help at all to look intimidating. A very nice score!

Looks like Jovino's work

by cubrock, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 21:42 (3259 days ago) @ Warhawk

Follows the same line of their S&W Effector.

I have a 6" Astra in 45 Colt - great gun!

by stonewalrus, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 22:53 (3259 days ago) @ Warhawk

I would not hesitate to buy another Astra revolver in good shape.

Astra Terminator

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday, October 24, 2015, 20:58 (3257 days ago) @ Warhawk

I've been reading up on these, and seeing reports of them shooting loose after a lot full power magnum loads. I think this one will see a diet of mid range loads, I'm thinking Keith bullets at around 900-1000 fps.

RSS Feed of thread