Kinda makes you wonder...

by Byron, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 10:24 (3260 days ago)

I drive through the main gate of an Army base 4 to 5 mornings per week going to the gym and as long as you present a pass and ID are just waved through.

Security generally has been private cops with Beretta's.

The last two weeks have been Regular Army with shotguns and dogs walking back and forth.

My car has not be searched but some are always parked to the side with all doors, hood and trunk open and being gone through while heavily armed over watch stands by.

The guards at the elementary school on post have also started carrying shotguns.

Nobody's talking but defiantly not a time to act a fool.

Byron

There is ALWAYS a reason when such things are done,

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 11:38 (3260 days ago) @ Byron

ALWAYS.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Can not confirm or deny...

by Byron, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 12:12 (3260 days ago) @ Hobie

However, there is talk of "high value detainees" about.

Byron

My experience revolves around USAF bases

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 13:15 (3260 days ago) @ Byron

And they will post the threat condition, via color code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Protection_Condition

[image]

I wonder if the FPCON has been raised recently?

I too always saw the current FPCON posted at entrances.

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 14:55 (3260 days ago) @ Warhawk

and from the training I got, and from Byron's description, it appears closest to FPCON Bravo.

Ft Eustis' entrances had up armored hummers with M249 gunners out the top and MPs with rifles and carbines alongside the regular gate guards in '12-'13 timeframe and the FPCON was only Bravo.

Right you are...

by Byron, Thursday, October 22, 2015, 16:40 (3260 days ago) @ Miles

Where he's at is a lot more accessible than Gitmo

by mcassill, Friday, October 23, 2015, 08:17 (3259 days ago) @ Miles

Never cared much for discussion of base security in public forums.

I never worried too much about things the public could see.

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Friday, October 23, 2015, 10:03 (3259 days ago) @ mcassill

Not that I consider it security 'theatre', but simply 'power projection'.
Especially when FPCONs are posted at the gates and on the post websites and the green suiters are doing ostentatious displays.

Something on the order of the scene in Big Jake where Wayne and his group ride into a town openly armed to the teeth.

RSS Feed of thread