Trijicon vs. Meprolite?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, October 12, 2015, 07:39 (3270 days ago)

Are they about a horse apiece? (That is Minnesotan for 'no significant difference'.)

A buddy picked up a Ruger P-85 for his nightstand pistol and wants to add night sights. I see offerings from both of these companies are available. Is it a matter of pick one and go? Are there other night sights available for this?

Thank you!

Trijicon seam to last longer.... absolutly stay away from

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, October 12, 2015, 09:41 (3270 days ago) @ Hoot

Wilson "Night Eyes" they start fading before you put them on...
A Crimson Trace Light would be a better and another option ...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Nightstand pistol...

by Byron, Monday, October 12, 2015, 10:30 (3270 days ago) @ Hoot

My thoughts on night sights have changed over the years. At one time I considered them to be a "must have" and spent a bunch of money fitting them to handguns.

However, after spending even more money on gunslinger schools my opinion has changed to consider them "no big deal" and here's why.

Almost all shootouts take place at or near conversational distance. A police/civilian shootout over 20 feet is very very rare. At these distances it is more about who hits first that wins and with a bit of training one can learn to point shoot well enough to hit a door knob most of the time...without sights at all...plenty good enough for the boogie man.

The real problem (in my opinion) with night sights is that they kinda sorta encourage shooting in low light conditions where you can see the sights BUT cannot really see your target and that is a real real real bad thing and the same goes for lasers.

Again (in opinion) one is much better served spending a couple of hundred dollars on a good airsoft pistol similar to their sidearm and a go out in the backyard and shoot it a couple of thousand times in scenarios similar to what they might find themselves in. Even better shooting it out with a partner in the dark. This coupled with spending the time to master using a flashlight (this an absolute must have item) during low light shooting puts them to the front of the line, every time.

Unless you can clearly see your target it is probably best not to shoot...even though you can see the sights well enough...if you know what I mean.

The other thing of more value than night sights is a ballistic vest that can be slipped on in a jiffy. While the best possible outcome in a shootout is not to get shot, if you do catch one the risk of a fatal wound is reduced by approx 85% if you are wearing a vest when shot.

So then my feelings are to spend the money on a airsoft pistol similar to your side arm, learn to use a flashlight for shooing a night, spend time shooting in lowlight conditions inside your house and get a vest that can be slipped on when the dog barks.

Byron

Back to the original question...

by Byron, Monday, October 12, 2015, 10:45 (3270 days ago) @ Byron

I have had a couple of sets of Meprolight sights that broke from recoil on a P35 with the front sight blade fractured off the dovetail...

Never heard of a Trigicon failure...

Even though I am not as sold on night sights as I once was they still are kinda cool...

Byron

Nightstand pistol...

by Big Six, Monday, October 12, 2015, 11:27 (3270 days ago) @ Byron

Nothing like a pistol for fast response.

I have TRU GLO night sights on a "plastic fantastic handgun" and they seem bigger than the Trijicons (same age). If the door is kicked open the pistol is fastest.

But... a 12 gauge 870 with mounted lights and buckshot in the tube is close if time allows.

I live in the boonies with no neighbors and lottsa woods. 911 is a joke out here.

Getting old sucks.

Nightstand pistol...

by Big Six, Monday, October 12, 2015, 11:29 (3270 days ago) @ Byron

By the way Byron...

good post.

by Byron, Monday, October 12, 2015, 11:33 (3270 days ago) @ Big Six

Depending on what part of the county the deputies are in when 911 is called could mean a 15 to 20 minute wait for me.

Years ago a deer hunter had a heart attack on the place across the road from my house and his buddy came beating on my door during dinner time. We called 911 and it took a half hour for anyone to show up. By that time he was long gone.

Byron

Yes sir! A light is far more important that night sights

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, October 12, 2015, 12:03 (3270 days ago) @ Byron

and a vest and practice are a better place to spend your money.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

The best thing about night sights is....

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 22:33 (3268 days ago) @ Hoot

That I can quickly find the gun with bleary eyes and get a fix on which end to grab without turning on a light.

The best thing about night sights is....

by Byron, Wednesday, October 14, 2015, 14:36 (3268 days ago) @ Andrew

On one of the first night shooting courses I took it was fascinating to look into the dark range and see all the multicolored fire flies moving around...

Oh, my mistake!

Those were the guys on the range and you could tell exactly where they were from the night sights in their holstered sidearms.

Something to think about..

Byron

I know from personal experience that...

by mcassill, Friday, October 16, 2015, 10:52 (3266 days ago) @ Hoot

Trijicon makes great gear. Have a set of their sights on my G21 house gun that are 16 or 17 years old now, and are still usably bright. The makers typically recommend a service life of ten years for those.

That'd be speedy here.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Monday, October 19, 2015, 18:51 (3262 days ago) @ Byron

Aren't you in Leavenworth Co. Byron? Down here in Lyon Co. you can really be screwed sometimes. Almost 900 square miles and when the deputies on duty are on the north end of the county, it takes close to an hour to get help in the southwest. Luckily, we have wonderful neighbors, armed and ready for most eventualities and all of us willing to help the others.

RSS Feed of thread