EAA Bounty Hunter 45 Colt

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, September 21, 2015, 11:45 (3291 days ago)
edited by Sarge, Monday, September 21, 2015, 11:52

I've seen these mentioned here occasionally so I'll add mine to the pile. This one is the 4 1/2" revolver in 45 Colt. For basically what is (now) a $400 revolver, they are pretty well finished with nice bluing and bright case colors. I got lucky and it also has some figure to the grips.

[image]

These guns take their lineage from the old Hawes 'Western Marshall' series of revolvers. Hawes contracted them out to JP Sauer & Sohn. They were essentially Colt copies built on a slightly larger frame capable of handling the 44 Magnum. The 45 Colts were capable of handling warm handloads. I owned several in the 70's-80's in 44 Mag & 45 Colt; they had smooth actions, good triggers and the thing that impressed me most about them was they all shot precisely to the sights- by no means a given with Colts or their clones by any manufacturer. The have a grip frame that feels somewhere between the Single Action Army and the 1860 Army to me, with lots of room for the knuckle of the middle finger. I prefer them to any Ruger save the Bisley.

Weihrauch GmbH of Germany later acquired manufacturing rights for these revolvers and procured a license from Ruger to include their patented transfer bar mechanism. European American Armory imports them as the 'Bounty Hunter'. They still load and eject on half-cock like God and Sam Colt intended. The downside is that the fine trigger was sacrificed and they require some smoothing up. This one has about a six pound gritty trigger.

I shot the gun today with several 45 Colt reloads, from factory duplication loads to my 'Linebaugh Load', a 255 grain SWC at about 1075 fps. It gobbled them all up and the smooth grip handles recoil like a champ. Like the earlier versions I've owned, it shot precisely to the sights. Six rounds of Missouri Bullet's 250 grain RNFP over 7.1 grains of W231, standing unsupported from 25 yards. If it shot this well with a downright awful trigger, I believe it will shine with a little work.

[image]

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, September 21, 2015, 19:01 (3291 days ago) @ Sarge

Banged off 12 rounds from 50 yards awhile ago; six of the RNFP load (vertical hash marks) and six of the warm 255 SWC's (horizontal). Left my glasses at the house, so there are no braggin' groups; but the revolver shoots where it looks.

[image]

I passed up a few of these in AK... under 400 then...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, September 21, 2015, 20:08 (3290 days ago) @ Sarge

proly a mistake. great to see you around !

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I passed up a few of these in AK... under 400 then...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, September 21, 2015, 21:12 (3290 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Thanks Rob, good to see you too.

I horse-traded into this one well under that. Got the most of the creep outta the trigger and the pull weight down to 5# this AM. A little sear work will cure the creep. Transfer bar notwithstanding, internals look like heavy built Colt parts. I was surprised how well finished it was inside. I've got a Dixie music wire bolt/trigger spring for a Colt around here somewhere that may or not be just the medicine for it.

Good lookin', good shootin' six-popper there Sarge.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 05:20 (3290 days ago) @ Sarge

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 07:32 (3290 days ago) @ Sarge

I had a Weiracht made 7 1/2" .45 years ago I used for Cowboy Action Shooting. It was a bit bigger than an SAA as you say, and mine had a frame mounted firing pin and no transfer bar. Most guys didn't realize it was any different, but some who watched me shoot it commented on the 'funny looking hammer'! It was a good gun while I had it, and shot fine enough for close and fast CAS, but I do t remember a whole lot of details about trigger pull, etc.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Good stuff, Sarge.

by brionic @, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 10:54 (3290 days ago) @ Sarge

Stick around, if you can. Your common sense and approach are appreciated.

Good stuff, Sarge.

by Big Six, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 12:08 (3290 days ago) @ brionic

anyone who shoots/carries a single action deserves to have an audience.

IMHO

+1!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 20:24 (3289 days ago) @ brionic

I always read Sarge's posts.

Thank you all

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 22:20 (3289 days ago) @ Sarge

nt

Me too - always practical stuff

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, September 23, 2015, 16:59 (3289 days ago) @ Hoot

Nm

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Wednesday, September 23, 2015, 19:54 (3288 days ago) @ Sarge

There you go again!! Got me thinking about that single action. Kind of getting back in touch with the 5 single actions I have. I have always felt more in touch with that platform. Very nice looking one you have there and it sure does shoot.

Art

RSS Feed of thread