How much ammo?

by Big Six, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 09:17 (3292 days ago)

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/ammo-need/

Ammo: How Much do You Need?

By CTD Blogger published on September 14, 2015 in Ammunition, Camping & Survival

A guest post written by Eve Flanigan.

Today, as gun owners and advocates of defensive living, we’re constantly scrutinized for exercising our 2nd Amendment rights. I’m sure many readers have numerous firearms available to them. Good. But the long-term concern, at least in my estimation, is the ammunition to feed those firearms.

While we’re enjoying the right to own guns, it’s worth noting that Constitutional protection may not include ammo. Ponder, if you will, the prospect of having firearms, but not ammunition. While many readers are surely prepared in the ammo supply arena, from conversations with students, I’d venture a guess that most aren’t. The question is not just for you, but perhaps generations to come. Teaching students on an ongoing basis, I find it not uncommon for folks to struggle to come up with a couple hundred rounds of handgun or carbine ammo to conduct some baseline training. Given today’s political climate, ammunition is more aligned in the crosshairs than ever. Consider in just the last few years there have been attempts to control or restrict ammo via several rationales, including:

Metal military surplus ammo cans stacked up

The military style .30- and .50-caliber ammo cans or the sealed spam cans of ammo make good long-term storage options.
•Environmental — the claim that any lead-based projectiles will lead to the ultimate demise of endangered species by wildlife ingesting lead from hunters and shooters.
•Public Safety — the all-too recent attempt to eliminate 5.56 green tip ammo as a supposed fix for preventing penetration of law enforcement body armor. Never mind that any high velocity rifle round has this penetration ability.
•Leave your fingerprint — recent attempts in the land of fruit and nuts (CA) to have purchasers of ammunition have their fingerprint on file.
•Taxation — there’s already a tax on most ammo through the Pitman Robertson Act….now Seattle, Washington politicians have decided to tax its residents even more on ammo purchases in the name of funding anti-gun propaganda.
•Quantity restrictions — Numerous discussions lately by liberals on restricting ammunition sales to a minimal amount per week or month.

Let’s not forget the bare shelves of just two or three years ago because of the political climate. .22 LR rimfire is just now becoming reasonably available again. Prices have just settled in the last few months.

So, back to the original thought of how much ammo? Well, it depends on what your primary, secondary or beyond use of it may be. That of course varies from person to person. Aside from fact that many folks are very accomplished handloaders requiring a good supply of powder, primers, casings and bullets in their own right, many don’t have the time or inclination for handloading.

The need and use for ammo can probably be categorized into the following;
•Hunting
•Sport and competition
•Training
•Defensive
•Bartering

Hunting

For most, standard, big game considerations I could probably get along for quite some time with a couple hundred rounds. But thinking down the road for many years, I would like to have 500 to 1,000 rounds per caliber of any hunting rifle. Small game means shotgun and rimfire, the round count here could increase exponentially.

Sport/Competition

If its USPSA, IDPA, 3Gun, Trap, Skeet, Silhouette or others, start thinking in the thousands of rounds or even higher for the long term.

Training

This is where things could get interesting. Shooting well is a perishable skill (yes, dry fire can take place of live fire to some extent). I shoot almost on a weekly basis, at least handgun. That may not be sustainable in tough times. I focus most of my weekly handgun shooting on 9mm to keep it economical. I like to keep a minimum of 5,000 rounds available if possible.

Defensive

I keep a few hundred rounds of good quality handgun, shotgun and rifle ammo that fits this category on hand….per caliber or gauge. A sub category here would be the battle rifle or fighting carbine, at which point there is no such thing as too much ammo.

Bartering

Military ammo can filled with ammo boxes
In really tough times or a run on the supply, ammunition will always retain a high trade value.

The sky’s the limit. All common calibers and rimfire ammunition is in high demand. Imagine ammunition over-the-counter availability being gone overnight! In really tough times or a run on the supply, ammunition will always retain a high trade value. So the question is how much do you need to have for yourself and family versus how much you can afford to sell or barter with?

It goes without saying that the cost, storage and transportation of ammunition may require logistical planning. Ammunition is heavy. Storage can have its own challenges. Basically, prioritize cool, dry and durable storage when it comes to ammo. The military style .30- and .50-caliber ammo cans or the sealed spam cans of ammo make good long-term storage options.

Other than your local store, where might one find ammo today without breaking the bank? Some obvious choices may be your local gun shows (or similar events) and online ammo sales sites (these sites have also been under fire in recent months). A few less obvious locations to find ammo at sometimes below wholesale prices are flea markets, estate sales and garage sales. This may bring up the question, how long is ammo good for? In my experience if it has been stored properly and out of the elements it can be good for decades. I have shot military surplus that was 50-plus years old, without issues. Not to disparage any hand loaders, but I stay away from reloaded ammo that I do not know the source of. I say this because you will run across such ammo at flea markets and garage/estate sales.

Someone once called ammo the precious metal of the future. I agree.

Eve Flanigan is a firearms instructor and writer residing in the American Southwest. Flanigan provides instruction in safety, basic and defensive pistol, defensive scenarios and basic rifle as well as concealed carry. Flanigan’s work in the non-profit sector has provided opportunities for participation in law enforcement firearms and use of force training. Her instruction, as well as her reviews of guns and gear, center around safety and practicality for self-defense. Her development as an armed citizen and instructor is aided by a variety of firearms and self-defense instruction plus competitive shooting. Persons wishing to contact Flanigan for instruction or to offer materials for review may do so through www.about.me/eve.flanigan

I've never been into stockpiling

by bj @, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 16:05 (3292 days ago) @ Big Six

I am the kind of person to buy spares for things I like so will have a spare just in case but OTOH I am usually pretty bare in the ammo department. I get ready for a match or for a CSA and I have to scrounge around for enough ammo. Maybe I need to switch modes and start guying a little extra, but it is still hard to find here. I wasn't concerned about the empty shelves when that started because I didn't buy much ammo anyway, but the empty shelf condition has lingered longer than I expected. I'm not sure where all of the ammo is going other than the possibility of Obama dumping it somewhere. I thought it was people that didn't work hanging around the big stores and buying up the ammo when it arrived, storing it in their sheds, and waiting to sell it someday for high prices, but those people have limited funds and eventually I thought they would have bought all that they wanted.

I've never been into stockpiling

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 16:42 (3292 days ago) @ bj

This summer, the only shortage I've noticed as we traveled across the country is in the 22 Rimfire arena. 9mm, 40 S$W, 45 ACP, 223/5.56mm were all over the place. The main issue for me is in the much higher (than three years ago) prices. Components, however, seemed to be much scarcer for those of us who roll our own. This from a random sampling of Chinamarts, Cabela's and other sporting goods outlets.

How much ammo?

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 16:23 (3292 days ago) @ Big Six

More than you have on hand.

^^^^^^^^^^ yep ^^^^^^^^^^^^

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 16:43 (3292 days ago) @ Cherokee

How much ammo? One never has enough...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 17:40 (3292 days ago) @ Big Six

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

As much as you can afford... And then some

by stonewalrus, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 18:35 (3292 days ago) @ Big Six

I tried to take stock in what I had squirreled away at my house the other day. Had more of some than I realized. I am concentrating on a few favorite calibers (defensive pistol and long arm) but making sure to have a couple of boxes at least of every caliber. I would go broke if I tried to stock up on all calibers. I think it is prudent to take inventory once in a while.

As much as you can afford... And then some DITTOS

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 19:12 (3292 days ago) @ stonewalrus

AND I am trying to fill all the empty cases I've accumulated.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The only time you have too much ammo is:

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 20:27 (3292 days ago) @ Big Six

When you're on fire.

Yessir.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 20:35 (3292 days ago) @ Miles

And, as a 'by the way', do you know that in Canada, your name would be "Kilometers"?

(Hoot has a grandson named 'Miles' and loves this joke.)

I get it, but actually it would be the same anywhere

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Monday, September 21, 2015, 00:26 (3291 days ago) @ Hoot

Because it's short for MILES FORTIS which is straight, classical Latin. ;-)
Tell the smallfry his name means "Soldier".

Yep, "a brave soldier".

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, September 21, 2015, 08:57 (3291 days ago) @ Miles

I recall fondly the days of AK Church, Savage 24 board and earlier incantations of this one.

AK's still around

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Monday, September 21, 2015, 11:05 (3291 days ago) @ Hoot

but with his job and keeping an eye on his mom nowadays, he's busier than a one legged man in a ....well, you know.

i sure miss AK

by cable, Monday, September 21, 2015, 16:26 (3291 days ago) @ Miles

:-|

Last I met up with him was, umm, 3 years back?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 05:18 (3290 days ago) @ Miles

We correspond very occasionally. A good soul.

Or when you have to move

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 19:17 (3290 days ago) @ Miles

Nm

How much ammo?

by Harry O-1, Monday, September 21, 2015, 10:51 (3291 days ago) @ Big Six

I was caught flat footed during the Clinton shortage. Had to restrict my shooting significantly. I started laying in "stuff" so it wouldn't happen again.

During the first Obama shortage I was in pretty good shape, but I had picked up a new caliber and could not find anything for it for about a year. I redoubled my efforts.

I ignored the second Obama shortage. I have everything I need, including .22LR ammo. In fact, I bought a .22 rimfire rifle for my grandkids during the height of the shortage. The salesman told me that they had a few boxes (not cases) of .22LR in back that they were saving for people who bought guns. I could buy two of them (I did not ask if they were 50 or 100 round boxes). I said, "No thanks, I have plenty." He said, "I haven't heard that in a long time."

How much ammo?

by Big Six, Monday, September 21, 2015, 11:17 (3291 days ago) @ Harry O-1

Good thinking on stocking up prior to election of the Obomination.

Back in 1967 I had little money for anything but gasoline (28 cents/gal) for getting to school but I was able to hustle more than I am now.

When GCA 1968 was passed (unconstitutionally BTW) ammo had to be "signed for" locally and nationwide as I recall. Consequently I "hustled" (worked overtime) to acquire money to stock up as I resented the unconstitutional infringement on my ammo purchasing abilities as well as my firearm purchasing abilities.

At that time little country stores were everywhere here in the sticks and all of them sold ammo. I bought (hoarded) all available within commuting distance.

During those long years that followed before the McClure Volkmer Act (I think that was its name) I never bought a single round of "signed for" ammo.

I had plenty for my needs until things loosened up.

I didn't consider it hoarding any more than cutting extra firewood in anticipation of a bad winter.

BTW winter is coming on hard so stock up.

I have warned some friends and relatives who are not as

by stonewalrus, Monday, September 21, 2015, 15:37 (3291 days ago) @ Big Six

Serious into guns that they had better stock up a few hundred rounds because of the storm that is brewing.

This will not be a mild storm either. I'm thinking it will

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, September 21, 2015, 20:24 (3291 days ago) @ stonewalrus

be a series of severe events, each one adding to the accumulation of woes...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

This will not be a mild storm either. I'm thinking it will

by Big Six, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 12:00 (3290 days ago) @ Hobie

be a series of severe events, each one adding to the accumulation of woes...

I agree 100%.

I am getting kinda long of tooth and am "filling the pantry" for my children and grandchildren.

I suppose, as with all things, there is a practical limit but at this time I cannot see where it lies.

Took a long walk in the woods yesterday. Visited a site where #3 son and I built a campfire near the creek during a light snow on a cold day. He was 7 at the time and remembers it well. He is a LEO now in a big city and is soon to break that 30 mark. He has changed (only older and bigger), I have changed (only older), the world has changed (gone to h*ll in a hand basket) but that circle of rocks by the creek remains the same. He will visit it this fall with his child. Hopefully during a light snow.

That big woods is a place of respite for us in this world of woe.

Hard times for us all presently (you too) and harder times ahead.

Gird Thyself.

Ephesians 6:12

I too see a reason to "lay by in store" - my oldest son is

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 12:55 (3290 days ago) @ Big Six

Doing a fine job himself but his little brother is 8 - hard telling what will be available by the time he grows up.

That's why I've started reloading, as long as he has

by StoneWolf, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 13:32 (3290 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Standard calibers I'm stocking up on components.

Slippery slope Matthew.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 20:28 (3290 days ago) @ StoneWolf

Not that I haven't enjoyed the slide!

Pretty soon you find that you can suddenly reload for this cartridge and, well hey, this other cartridge isn't too far out of reach. And, then, 'Hell, I got a great deal on this set of dies so...'

Holler up if I can help. Lord knows, I been helped a bunch so far.

He just bought a Vaquero in 45 - that works well for me

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 21:23 (3290 days ago) @ Hoot

considering I have two revolvers in that caliber...

Likewise for me, Matthew.

by Catoosa, Wednesday, September 23, 2015, 09:31 (3289 days ago) @ Hoot

Lord knows I ain't no expert (at anything!), but I have attended the School of Interesting Experiences when it comes to reloading.

RSS Feed of thread